Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 25,268 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever experienced this? In Brookhaven I mistakenly let the building permit on my in ground pool expire and I didn't even get a reminder or warning but someone showed up at my door, gave me a ticket to appear in court in August. I plan to go to town hall this week to renew it and get it finalized soon. Anyone know the repercussions form this? Am I criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
A minimum of ten years in the slammer.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Death penalty. Say your goodbyes during the summer months.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarfar View Post
Anyone ever experienced this? In Brookhaven I mistakenly let the building permit on my in ground pool expire and I didn't even get a reminder or warning but someone showed up at my door, gave me a ticket to appear in court in August. I plan to go to town hall this week to renew it and get it finalized soon. Anyone know the repercussions form this? Am I criminal?
Nice knowing you. Is your wife hot? Can I get dibs?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:25 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
"I didn't get a warning" is this 1st grade, ask for a do over..

Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 PM

280 posts, read 286,315 times
Quote:
Did you build the pool?

Is pool construction in process?

Did your contractor obtain the permit?

If you were served notice then you have to appear.

The Kangaroo courts and Administrative Kangaroo Courts can be totally-dangerously outrageous. Nothing stops them from doing whatever they want no matter how arbitrary and capricious. If your permit lapsed and you are under construction you are going to get a fine (extortion). If you finished the work without getting the proper inspections (extortions) you are going to get a fine (extortion) and then have to remedy (and they will twist you to the wind because you are on the radar for failing to Kowtow, extortion and more extortion). You might be able to correct any lapse before your appearance date. Did the notice have any cause of action or justification? The guy that served you was probably a building inspector.

You could even send a certified letter asking for a delay to another date. Or you could (should) hire a lawyer with enough juice to smack them around.

Whatever you do; don't take it lightly, be fresh, or fail to appear. Yes Mr. Judge I kowtow to your brilliance..

I got "served" a double-secret jury duty notice by regular mail to the wrong address (I got lucky and got a noncertified piece of mail just by chance, otherwise I could have been held in contempt of court - even with NO REAL SERVICE); so Were you actually to serve someone as an individual or corporation you would actually have to prove service (and even then the guy you were suing might say he never got service, and the court would let it slide four or five times - yes this happened as a landlord in landlord tenant case.); but NYS and Nassau County exempted themselves from all the procedural safeguards you would have to provide to them. The game you are getting dragged into is rigged.. The only pool that should be built is in a Red state. In LI you need to be selling, not building. Why is all this intervention into your own business by an organ of the nanny state acceptable to you?

Last edited by martinx; 05-03-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
"I didn't get a warning" is this 1st grade, ask for a do over..
They always sent reminders in the past, which is why I mentioned that. Don't be a smart ass.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
Did you build the pool?

Is pool construction in process?

Did your contractor obtain the permit?

If you were served notice then you have to appear.

The Kangaroo courts and Administrative Kangaroo Courts can be totally-dangerously outrageous. Nothing stops them from doing whatever they want no matter how arbitrary and capricious. If your permit lapsed and you are under construction you are going to get a fine (extortion). If you finished the work without getting the proper inspections (extortions) you are going to get a fine (extortion) and then have to remedy (and they will twist you to the wind because you are on the radar for failing to Kowtow, extortion and more extortion). You might be able to correct any lapse before your appearance date. Did the notice have any cause of action or justification? The guy that served you was probably a building inspector.

You could even send a certified letter asking for a delay to another date. Or you could (should) hire a lawyer with enough juice to smack them around.

Whatever you do; don't take it lightly, be fresh, or fail to appear. Yes Mr. Judge I kowtow to your brilliance..

I got "served" a double-secret jury duty notice by regular mail to the wrong address (I got lucky and got a noncertified piece of mail just by chance, otherwise I could have been held in contempt of court - even with NO REAL SERVICE); so Were you actually to serve someone as an individual or corporation you would actually have to prove service (and even then the guy you were suing might say he never got service, and the court would let it slide four or five times - yes this happened as a landlord in landlord tenant case.); but NYS and Nassau County exempted themselves from all the procedural safeguards you would have to provide to them. The game you are getting dragged into is rigged.. The only pool that should be built is in a Red state. In LI you need to be selling, not building. Why is all this intervention into your own business by an organ of the nanny state acceptable to you?
The pool was built by a professional, it's in ground, they did obtain the permit but I never finalized it. I will appear but I'm going to the building dept. to find out more info on Friday. Like you said, this is extortion. I can see taking it this far if I had ignored prior noticed or did something grossly illegal, but, Jesus...this is ridiculous...it's a freaking permit! I'm 55 and never even had a parking ticket...I don't take stuff like this lightly.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 PM

280 posts, read 286,315 times
Quote:
The pool was built by a professional, it's in ground, they did obtain the permit but I never finalized it. I will appear but I'm going to the building dept. to find out more info on Friday. Like you said, this is extortion. I can see taking it this far if I had ignored prior noticed or did something grossly illegal, but, Jesus...this is ridiculous...it's a freaking permit! I'm 55 and never even had a parking ticket...I don't take stuff like this lightly.
I would suggest that you talk to your builder. If they obtained the permit they need to close the permit.

It sounds like you can hold your builder liable (in small claims court) for any damages and costs that come your way..

Your builder may have a relationship with the moronic civil service leaches downtown. He might be able to get the permit closed in advance of any appearance.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM

I had assumed he did that after I got the first notice that it expired a few years ago. When we inquired he said they don't take care of that and I looked through my paperwork and didn't see where he said he would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: