Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:50 PM

47 posts, read 45,132 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are going to install a Central AC in our home in the Town of Hempstead. I know generally the answer is "everything needs a permit" but figured I'd ask anyway. I'm all about doing things above-board so as not to have headaches later so if it's required, we're doing it. We are getting fences and the fence company doesn't get permits and the guy said most people don't get them. Well, I'm going to! I asked my neighbors who installed theirs about 10 years ago and they don't remember but didn't think so- they are not handy people and they just pay service people and never ask questions about these things (seriously, the husband isn't allowed on ladders bc he falls of- and he's not old by any means!). They didn't think they needed permits for fences either, which I know you are supposed to get. So I can't trust them! Another person I spoke to said they think it's not needed on an existing house. I know there are set-back rules for the unit but where we are putting it won't be an issue. It's a Saturday so the AC company isn't available to ask and I'm planning on getting fence permits first thing Monday. Figured I'd ask the forum in the meantime! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 05:05 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
I'm not sure what your question is, but if you're asking if you need a permit for CAC, the answer is yes.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
If you don't get a permit in Town of Hempstead you will get punished.

If you do get a permit in Town of Hempstead you will get punished.

Sophie's choice really. But I would go through the pain now so there are no issues later.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Yes, my question was if central needs a permit. Sorry, kept getting distracted by the kids asking me questions every 30 seconds, literally. Got a little off track and wasn't clear.

How long do they take? Just one inspection after job completed? Thank you!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you don't get a permit in Town of Hempstead you will get punished.

If you do get a permit in Town of Hempstead you will get punished.

Sophie's choice really. But I would go through the pain now so there are no issues later.
I plan on playing by the rules, it's worth it. Eventually the house will be sold. I'll be saving headaches for the future. What punishment is given if I get the permit? Higher taxes? Since it's a value added improvement that doesn't bother me as I heard it's not a huge increase.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraK123 View Post
I plan on playing by the rules, it's worth it. Eventually the house will be sold. I'll be saving headaches for the future. What punishment is given if I get the permit? Higher taxes? Since it's a value added improvement that doesn't bother me as I heard it's not a huge increase.
No your taxes will not go up from installing a central AC. Taxes only increase when you increase the sq footage of your home.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
The permit is really for the compressors that they mount outside. Have to make sure they comply with codes re: distance from your neighbor etc. The CAC installer should handle the paperwork.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraK123 View Post
The risk is that the inspector walks around and sees something else that then needs remediation. Don't offer to let him use the bathroom or to come inside.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No your taxes will not go up from installing a central AC. Taxes only increase when you increase the sq footage of your home.
Taxes will go up depending on the town as it is an improvement to your home and its value.

In Smithtown, is a small flat annual tax added to your tax bill.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The risk is that the inspector walks around and sees something else that then needs remediation. Don't offer to let him use the bathroom or to come inside.
Gotcha- that's what the fence guy said- which I why I want it all on the up and up. Everything else in the house is fine, permitted, all closed correctly.

I'm all about the permits when I believe it's reasonable, and we've already had a stickler inspector for our gas line increase our costs by $300 asking for something not usually needed, so I'm not just looking at it all doe-eyed, I know it's a pain. But it saves bigger headaches whenever the house is eventually sold. Hopefully many, many, many years from now. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: