Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:40 PM

57 posts, read 51,694 times

Advertisements

Amtrak is a Government agency.

So it seems to me there ought to have been some budgetary documents that would identify by account how much monies should have been spent on maintenance- - not unlike our military services.

So based upon recent press there has been little or no maintenance occurring.

So the budgets for Penn were diverted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 01:04 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Here you go:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/844/40/...ncial-Plan.pdf

Old 05-13-2017, 09:55 PM

280 posts, read 286,540 times
The railroad was built in 1840+/- when it was the Brooklyn Jamaica Railroad and Nassau County was part of Queens. I remember in 2010+/- some equipment dating back to 1920's had some issues (perhaps a fire if I remember). The main LIRR terminal was torn down in the early 1960's as part of a boondoggle to build madison square garden (for friends and family).. If I remember the LIRR terminal was a national terminal, not just a commuter station. As national rail traffic waned, Commuters where shoved down into the basement into the hell that is that station. Much of the US rail infrastructure is in the same state; in part because the US was one of the first implementers of rail, because Eisenhower built a highway system instead of a modern rail system (see GM and Ford that killed trolleys and rail), and also because freight shares the same rail as passenger (where modern countries have freight and passenger rail systems). The passenger rail system in the US cannot be fixed; it needs to be replaced (which is something that the criminals in charge cannot envision). Better to have expensive roads and expensive self driving cell phones (cough cars) and expensive air transport; rather than to have rail or trolleys. (trolleys being something LI had to connect the LIRR main line to the last mile(s). Passenger rail is a financial loser but it provides a great public and economic benefit. Amtrak was the consolidation of all these money losing passenger rail systems. Every line but the NYC Washington corridor loses tons of money; and it is totally underfunded and neglected.. it is amazing it runs at all.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Its almost entertaining at this point. You can't even get to work to pay your high property taxes, and you guys tout LI like its the best thing since sliced bread, I dont get it! Its clearly denial at this point. You wake up when its dark, to come home when its dark, for your family? Wake up. If you're not right, your family wont be right. Keep paying though.

I live in the hood, I own, but I have a train, bus, and now a ferry to get to work (I have a car but dont use it to commute to work because I work in Lower Manhattan). What do you guys have to get to work???? The A train is more reliable than the LIRR? Never thought I would see the day.

I was on 34th Street a few weeks ago and I got hit like 5 times just getting out of the train station, thats what you guys seriously go through every day just to go home? I know its Amtrak and not LIRR, but come on, its like S & M at this point, how much are you guys willing to take?

Better off moving back to the city

martinx is giving you guys sound advice. If it was up to me, he would be LI MoD to lead you guys out of this crap. Only ones that arent taking his advice are banking $200K and up. dual income. The truth. The ones making $200K are the people that are telling him to go home.

so keep swimming in it if you want to, somebody posted the other day about how LI's waters are polluted

Keep paying and not saying anything, its working out great for you guys.

Majority of South Shore people are ones who used the system to their advantage anyway, thats what humans do, goes back as far as Tammany Hall

You dont have to give me reps, the proof is your tax bill in the mail, and you calling your wife 3x a week to say you'll be home late

Back in the day living on LI was like you made it, now who cares

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 05-13-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
The railroad was built in 1840+/- when it was the Brooklyn Jamaica Railroad and Nassau County was part of Queens. I remember in 2010+/- some equipment dating back to 1920's had some issues (perhaps a fire if I remember). The main LIRR terminal was torn down in the early 1960's as part of a boondoggle to build madison square garden (for friends and family).. If I remember the LIRR terminal was a national terminal, not just a commuter station. As national rail traffic waned, Commuters where shoved down into the basement into the hell that is that station. Much of the US rail infrastructure is in the same state; in part because the US was one of the first implementers of rail, because Eisenhower built a highway system instead of a modern rail system (see GM and Ford that killed trolleys and rail), and also because freight shares the same rail as passenger (where modern countries have freight and passenger rail systems). The passenger rail system in the US cannot be fixed; it needs to be replaced (which is something that the criminals in charge cannot envision). Better to have expensive roads and expensive self driving cell phones (cough cars) and expensive air transport; rather than to have rail or trolleys. (trolleys being something LI had to connect the LIRR main line to the last mile(s). Passenger rail is a financial loser but it provides a great public and economic benefit. Amtrak was the consolidation of all these money losing passenger rail systems. Every line but the NYC Washington corridor loses tons of money; and it is totally underfunded and neglected.. it is amazing it runs at all.

Yet when the LIRR gets money allocated and projects for new rail and improvements are announced the NIMBYs come out of the woodwork. See: main line third track

Business Owners Raise Questions About LIRR’s Third Track Plans « CBS New York

They bought a house or put their business next to a commuter railroad track. I bet that they didn't complain when they snuck over the property line with their fence or parking lot or back yard.

LIRR isn't neglected as much as you think, and any plans to make it useful in the 21st century get shot down.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its almost entertaining at this point. You can't even get to work to pay your high property taxes, and you guys tout LI like its the best thing since sliced bread, I dont get it! Its clearly denial at this point. You wake up when its dark, to come home when its dark, for your family? Wake up. If you're not right, your family wont be right. Keep paying though.
LIRR has been stinking as of late. Far worse than average. I grew up in taking NYC subways...its no cake walk either. The whole MTA is up in flames.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
LIRR has been stinking as of late. Far worse than average. I grew up in taking NYC subways...its no cake walk either. The whole MTA is up in flames.
Seriously, the majority of the Tri-State area uses the MTA to go to work. The MTA should be the best-run public transportation agency in the world IMO. We should be the standard when it comes to public transportation. It's extremely disappointing, and it's not cheap

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM

280 posts, read 286,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Only ones that aren't taking his advice are banking $200K and up. dual income. The truth. The ones making $200K are the people that are telling him to go home.
What really kicked in my perception was that the buyers of my home had THREE incomes; two parents and a young grandparent. With three incomes those folks were well below 200K; with the largest salary coming from a government employee.

It does not matter if a family is earning 200K; in this economy jobs are more fragile than people think. Those dual (and now three) income families are stretched to the gills on debt service to every penny plus some. An indicator of that is the fact that prime auto loans are in record default. Of course everyone is entitled to a new car on credit, a house on credit, and employment for the thirty years their loan will run. (even more because many people refinance refinance refinance to draw money from the house that is an ATM.

Time to sell folks.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM

218 posts, read 268,081 times
We need to all organize a "no pay" week. Money is the only thing they understand.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
While living on LI, is nice, the LIRR fiasco puts a complete damper on living here. I used to work on LI, but my job transfered me to Manhattan. It is what it is, I am not about to give up my job, with 20 yrs in. I have 10 more years of dealing with the $hit, and then I am gone. Shame, as I really like here. Unfortunately its not what it used to be. The taxes on my house in 10 years will probably be another $5k higher than where I am at now. What do we really get for it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island