Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 AM

61 posts, read 98,689 times

Advertisements

Hello. Just got a new above ground pool installed and have a pool frog mineral system instead of chlorine. Anyone has experience with a pool frog system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

117 posts, read 281,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3181 View Post
Hello. Just got a new above ground pool installed and have a pool frog mineral system instead of chlorine. Anyone has experience with a pool frog system?
I don't recommend it. Those minerals will stay in your water forever, they are not being consumed and will not evaporate. It sure is nice for the first couple of years because they are convenient, but you will eventually need to drain your pool. There have been reports where the minerals in that change peoples hair color.

Honestly, the best and easiest way to keep your pool clean is to pour bleach (same thing as chlorine dont overpay) in it everyday. It is cheap and easy.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Do not ever pour bleach in your pool.
The Frog is ok for a secondary sanitzer, you need to chlorinate your pool either by chlorine tablets in a floater or auto feed chlorinate or through a saltwater chlorine generator.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Frog is ok for a secondary sanitzer, you need to chlorinate your pool either by chlorine tablets in a floater or auto feed chlorinate or through a saltwater chlorine generator.
Bleach=chlorine...Just saying. Obviously you dont want to add too much, but bleach is nothing more than liquid chlorine. And the Frog system is a POS. It will elevate the copper levels way too much, and CAN cause green hair, and long term exposure to copper is not good for your health. Its actually outlawed in some countries.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM

117 posts, read 281,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Please don't give bad advise if you do not know about a topic, especially with pools. You can end up costing someone reading your post money.

Bleach = Chlorine, look at then ingredients.

Chlorine tablets are very bad as well, they introduce CYA to the pool and it also does not consume/evaporate and you will eventually need to drain your water. Too much CYA makes the chlorine useless, too little CYA makes the chlorine being consumed by the sun too quickly. You need balance in your pool.

Auto feed chlorinate is the same thing as pouring bleach in your pool but automated

converting to salt water is the best IMO, but costs $

Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,041 times
I thought hotkarl was a pool guy? Any recommendation on variable pumps for an inground pool? From my research they all seem to be crap.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Do not put "bleach" in your pool.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
I thought hotkarl was a pool guy? Any recommendation on variable pumps for an inground pool? From my research they all seem to be crap.
He is our pool guy!

I bought a pump in Harbor Freight, worked great for two years then it crapped out. I haven't opened my pool yet and with all this rain I have to get a pump now to get the pond off my cover.

Ducks are swimming on it.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
^^ The absolute worst thing you can do...let the ducks stay in your pool.

Believe me I lived that nightmare 3 years ago thinking it was cool to have 2 ducks swimming around, feeding them bread etc. That was until I went to open the pool and there was about 100 pounds of duck sh*t on top of the cover!! Not a fun task when it was 85 degrees out. :0

Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ The absolute worst thing you can do...let the ducks stay in your pool.

Believe me I lived that nightmare 3 years ago thinking it was cool to have 2 ducks swimming around, feeding them bread etc. That was until I went to open the pool and there was about 100 pounds of duck sh*t on top of the cover!! Not a fun task when it was 85 degrees out. :0
It's not that often, but I clean more debris from my neighbors trees than anything else. Those long fuzzy things that are falling from the trees are all over the place now and is a pain to keep up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island