Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM

179 posts, read 304,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Interesting. I'm starting to house hunt and i felt like there were very nice homes that were reasonably priced there and i remembered a co-worker saying that they were "revitalizing" the downtown of Lindenhurst (similar to Farmingdale). I have never been, but maybe i will just check it out. i just didn't even know where exactly the area they were talking about was located.
I wasn't aware of any revitalization plans but if true, that is good to hear. Unfortunately, these things take forever. My jadedness stems from how neat Lindenhurst was when I moved there in 2012 but then having to slowly see it lose its luster. I'm not talking in the same sense as Westbury or Valley Stream like we've all seen in many threads here, but still noticing differences. That being said, living south of the tracks near the village can be pretty nice. North is okay but always looked a little too cramped. South is generally a solid suburb (south of montauk can get floody though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 15,232 times
I recently moved to Amityville and I stopped in the Men's shop over there in the village area and he said that they're building up Amityville to be like the next Farmingdale/Patchogue. You can start to see it with Amity Ales, the Mouse Trap, and Vittorio's all being in that village area so if they keep trending in that direction then it could end up being a new hot spot like Patchogue and Farmingdale.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainoa View Post
I recently moved to Amityville and I stopped in the Men's shop over there in the village area and he said that they're building up Amityville to be like the next Farmingdale/Patchogue. You can start to see it with Amity Ales, the Mouse Trap, and Vittorio's all being in that village area so if they keep trending in that direction then it could end up being a new hot spot like Patchogue and Farmingdale.
I actually wanted to try that Amity Ales place.... looks nice.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 15,232 times
My fiance and I go there a lot, the food is really good particularly for "bar food" and they have decent specials as well. A nice sized selection of craft beers too. I would definitely check it out!

Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Is there a "downtown" in Lindenhurst?

Quote:
By downtown i mean a small area of bars/restaurants.

I could have sworn someone mentioned to me recently that Lindenhurst was becoming like a Patchogue/Farmingdale, where they fixed up the main street and now there are a few cute places to go or like a walkable area. Is that true? i may have misheard...
There is a Downtown area in Lindenhurst that goes about 3 blocks. From one block north of the railroad tracks/Hoffman avenue down to one long block (really two regular blocks) south of the railroad tracks. They also have been fixing up some stores on Hoffman avenue near Wellwood Avenue (Hoffman needs a lot of work).

Nearby Amityville has a similar size Downtown area. So does Babylon but you can basically fit Lindenhurst and Amityville's downtowns in Babylon.

While it is not a downtown, Lindenhurst does have a lot of stores and restaurants along Sunrise Highway from Wellwood Avenue out past the Babylon Town Hall.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,352 times
It's small, but there are a few cute restaurants, bars and pubs. I only work in the area but it's nice. Hard to find parking from what I can tell in my limited time.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
There will never be the kind of "down town" you see in Babylon with the current zoning currently in place in Lindenhurst.

For years the village has been wanting someone to develop the old bank buillding, well that someone has come along. Whats the first thing the village does, They make him apply for a variance for the 72 off street parking spaces a building of that size will require. It's an existing building, never had off street parking and never will, why is a variance required now. Did all the people that used to bank there sign something swearing that they would walk to the bank and never drive their cars LOL

Will he get the variance, most likely he will. Next will come a variance for a sign, then who knows what else. Some of these variances will have time limitations and will need to be extended every few years. It's nothing more than a money grab by the village, no wonder no one wants to move to wellwood

Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM

418 posts, read 367,451 times
Quote:

I could have sworn someone mentioned to me recently that Lindenhurst was becoming like a Patchogue/Farmingdale, where they fixed up the main street and now there are a few cute places to go or like a walkable area. Is that true? i may have misheard...
The whole town is down... the tubes. Lindenhurst is not a nice area.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:45 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
Please explain "Lindenhurst is not a nice area"

It's not perfect but not many affordable towns are. We just fight over more down to earth problems that the Up Scales.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM

137 posts, read 272,718 times
Quote:

it is an OK area. if you are looking to buy, i would say do it. if the revitalization doesn't work out, your home probably won't lose value. But, if the revitalization does happen, even if it takes 5-10 years, your home value would increase that much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island