Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 15,778 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Election season is coming to a town near you, but since I live in Smithtown I'll do that one and that one only.

I'm not a political operative. I swear! I'm just curious.

What would you like to see happen in the Town of Smithtown?

Some ideas; which ones do you agree or disagree with? Again, I'm really curious.

- Build numerous apartments downtown
- Build commercial development downtown
- Widen 25 to two lanes in each direction through the entire town
- Build low-income/workforce housing/apartments
- Mix apartments and commercial downtown
- Long-term, electrify the Port Jeff line
- Expand drug treatment center on taxpayer's dime
- Audit the school districts
- Ban professional landscapers from working weekends
- Ban professional landscapers from working past 5
- Sewer all three downtowns
- Have temps clean graffiti
- Moratorium on apartment construction
- Rip up Cuomo's sewer check
- Build more bike lanes and pedestrian shelters
- Hire dogs to sniff HS to death for drugs a few days a year
- 2% prop tax reduction for those who live and work in town
- Et Cetera

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Pat Vecchio will win and nothing will change!

I my opinion, that is good in many ways and bad in some ways.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
- Build numerous apartments downtown - Definitely not
- Build commercial development downtown - Depends on the commerce - needs restaurants/major facelift to attract business
- Widen 25 to two lanes in each direction through the entire town - No, just the opposite. Folks should be using the by-pass
- Build low-income/workforce housing/apartments - Smithtown is not a low income area, and we pay for that priviledge of living in a high income neighborhood. So nope.
- Mix apartments and commercial downtown - This is an option, as long as it conforms to the immediate area
- Long-term, electrify the Port Jeff line - Yes
- Expand drug treatment center on taxpayer's dime - Stay off of drugs, that's the best solution
- Audit the school districts - Definitely
- Ban professional landscapers from working weekends - I don't use a landscaper but don't find this necessary
- Ban professional landscapers from working past 5 - fair enough
- Sewer all three downtowns - yes
- Have temps clean graffiti - sure?
- Moratorium on apartment construction - yes
- Rip up Cuomo's sewer check - Not informed enough on this to have an opinion, but anything involving Cuomo (or Bellone) should be ripped up
- Build more bike lanes and pedestrian shelters - That's already in progress on Rt. 347
- Hire dogs to sniff HS to death for drugs a few days a year - Not the worst plan by any means
- 2% prop tax reduction for those who live and work in town - NO
- Et Cetera - Change the LED street lights from white to amber, research shows negative health impacts from these lights; preserve more land; stand firm on existing zoning (no "down-zoning"); replace the entire school board for trying to pull a fast one and selling land to a developer; plant more street trees; fix the roads

Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Cool, thanks! I agree with pretty much everything you said, by the way.

Enlighten me, though: why do you feel so strongly about this:
- 2% prop tax reduction for those who live and work in town - NO

Again, just curious.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:40 AM

280 posts, read 286,540 times
The practice of creating make-work (no-show) "chairmanships" to bribe NYS politicians with a "supplemental salary +$45,000 BRIBE" as part of the patronage (party-boss, pay to play the party way) system has once again hit the newspapers yet remains totally unnoticed. Your local politicians are part of the same feeder system of corruption thus any constructive agenda or talking points are totally moot, especially in NY and LI.

There are merits to the platform you listed; but there are no merits in expecting "honor" in a NYS "election cycle." Time might be more constructively spent betting on fantasy football. Better yet; starving the beast of NYS politics and LI landownership by not participating in either exercise of fantasy and self-delusion. If you have to live here, pay as little taxes (fees and fines) as you possibly can.

Last edited by martinx; 05-16-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
The practice of creating make-work (no-show) "chairmanships" to bribe NYS politicians with a "supplemental salary +$45,000 BRIBE" as part of the patronage (party-boss, pay to play the party way) system has once again hit the newspapers yet remains totally unnoticed. Your local politicians are part of the same feeder system of corruption thus any constructive agenda or talking points are totally moot, especially in NY and LI.

There are merits to the platform you listed; but there are no merits in expecting "honor" in a NYS "election cycle." Time might be more constructively spent betting on fantasy football. Better yet; starving the beast of NYS politics and LI landownership by not participating in either exercise of fantasy and self-delusion. If you have to live here, pay as little taxes (fees and fines) as you possibly can.
You know, if you hate them so much then run for office and get rid of them.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM

280 posts, read 286,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Arbuckle View Post
You know, if you hate them so much then run for office and get rid of them.
YOU CANNOT RUN FOR OFFICE WITHOUT ASKING THE PERMISSION OF SOME VERY SLEAZY PEOPLE.
I found that out years ago when having preliminary discussions with the Republican party; at that point it was very clear that I was dealing with a criminal organization (note 1) The door to office only opens for those who are willing to make deals with the gatekeepers.

You don't live in a participatory system folks, it is not a republic/democracy. It is rigged and dirty bottom (LI) to top.

Note 1: I was also introduced to a convicted criminal - someone on the committee actually was convicted of manslaughter for drunk driving. To get access to the ballot you had to work a deal with that crook. Nassau County is actually worse than the locality I was going to work with. I know several "good people" who have been Nassau politico's both Democratic and Republican. Sleaze.

There is no point in having a wish list of action items for the local politico's; the only action item on the agenda for these people is graft, corruption, theft, fealty, and payoffs. The criminality cannot be changed for either inside/outside. The only thing you can do is to lessen the impact by selling your LI house while you sill have time.

Last edited by martinx; 05-16-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM

291 posts, read 336,203 times
I would like to see more 7-11s being built. And there are about three streets left that don't have a vape shop....what are they waiting for?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
I would like to see more 7-11s being built. And there are about three streets left that don't have a vape shop....what are they waiting for?
LOL - So true. I'm sure that Heartland will give you plenty of vape shops and 7-11's - it's a shame that they don't create an industrial park there instead of cramming more people with no jobs to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: