Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM

428 posts, read 970,090 times

Advertisements

I just bought a home and insurance company said I need to rectify trees leaning on my property or they'd cancel me. I asked the town to cut their trees (it's on a lot the town owns) in February.

It's late May and I've followed up 3 times, the young lady has a major attitude and says that's normal for it to take this long.

I expected better from this town. Is this how they treat people?

Also, on the same town-owned lot next to me, they have overgrown grass and bushes everywhere that is directly next to my property. It looks awful. They can't send a landscaper to spend 30 mins cutting down the grass? This is in front of a major high school.

How do I escalate this beyond the disgruntled young lady who answers the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I just bought a home and insurance company said I need to rectify trees leaning on my property or they'd cancel me. I asked the town to cut their trees (it's on a lot the town owns) in February.

It's late May and I've followed up 3 times, the young lady has a major attitude and says that's normal for it to take this long.

I expected better from this town. Is this how they treat people?

Also, on the same town-owned lot next to me, they have overgrown grass and bushes everywhere that is directly next to my property. It looks awful. They can't send a landscaper to spend 30 mins cutting down the grass? This is in front of a major high school.

How do I escalate this beyond the disgruntled young lady who answers the phone?
contact your local elected officials.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
If it's leaning past the property line, you can hire someone to cut the portion endangering your property. If you prefer to wait for the town to pay for the work, I'd say give them about 3-5 years.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
If it's leaning past the property line, you can hire someone to cut the portion endangering your property. If you prefer to wait for the town to pay for the work, I'd say give them about 3-5 years.
Unbelievable!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I would just go down to Town Hall....I grew up in Huntington, once you're there in front of them they pretty much have to do something. My dad always went there if he had business with them. Never the phone. Otherwise, just trim them yourself and act dumb if anyone ever asks. The only glitch might be getting a tree service to do it if they know the Town owns the tree so play dumb there too.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM

36 posts, read 36,155 times
If it's a HS, maybe try calling the school?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattopcowboy View Post
If it's a HS, maybe try calling the school?
Thanks! It is a high school, but it's across the street and not on their property at all. Would they still help?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Dont hold your breath. I bought a house in Nov 2014 in Farmingdale (TOB). My homeowners insurance co said they would cancel me if I did not have one of the sidewalk squares fixed because it is raised and someone could trip on it. It also has to be done by a licensed contractor and not a patch job by me. So, I asked around and someone said that the Town of Oyster Bay does these for $100 a square. Great idea, huh? So, I called and they came look. They left a note in my mailbox saying that since I requested them to come, they had to do a property to property inspection and they feel that I need to replace 13 of my squares. Seriously, they are fine with tiny hairline fractures that my homeowners don;t even care about. I had to get a letter from the town to send to my ins co so they didn't cancel me. It has been 2.5 years and still nothing from them.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Dont hold your breath. I bought a house in Nov 2014 in Farmingdale (TOB). My homeowners insurance co said they would cancel me if I did not have one of the sidewalk squares fixed because it is raised and someone could trip on it. It also has to be done by a licensed contractor and not a patch job by me. So, I asked around and someone said that the Town of Oyster Bay does these for $100 a square. Great idea, huh? So, I called and they came look. They left a note in my mailbox saying that since I requested them to come, they had to do a property to property inspection and they feel that I need to replace 13 of my squares. Seriously, they are fine with tiny hairline fractures that my homeowners don;t even care about. I had to get a letter from the town to send to my ins co so they didn't cancel me. It has been 2.5 years and still nothing from them.
Well the TOB has bigger problems to worry about, like staying out of jail....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: