Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing a home in TOH, and found out that the 1952 house had an extension in 1954, with permits, however the permits were not closed. I suppose this means the house needs a CofO ,
Can anyone contribute how long that may take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 AM

280 posts, read 286,759 times
Make the seller clear this issue up. They can pay to have it expedited.

Better yet; walk away from the purchase; it is a losing proposition.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
Make the seller clear this issue up. They can pay to have it expedited.

Better yet; walk away from the purchase; it is a losing proposition.

They are working on it, just wonder how long it could take? Suppose just an inspection, and sign-off by the TOH

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM

280 posts, read 286,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMNYC View Post
They are working on it, just wonder how long it could take? Suppose just an inspection, and sign-off by the TOH
You probably have a time frame for closing built into the contract.

Tell your lawyer you are incurring costs for every day past the anticipated closing date. Why should I suffer if the seller never got his paper in order. Ask for an adjustment?

Better yet don't buy the house. It is a mistake.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 AM

One more question, If an inspection is required, would it be tro the code of the construction , or todays code?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
It will be to today's code. It's going to take a while.

If they need plans I recommend they contact John at Eagle Drafting in Franklin Square. i can guarantee the Town of Hempstead (if that is the "H" you are referring to) will pass his plans if it's something simple. If this was a large addition that required a foundation....

Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It will be to today's code. It's going to take a while.

If they need plans I recommend they contact John at Eagle Drafting in Franklin Square. i can guarantee the Town of Hempstead (if that is the "H" you are referring to) will pass his plans if it's something simple. If this was a large addition that required a foundation....

thanks, its a large extension

Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMNYC View Post
One more question, If an inspection is required, would it be tro the code of the construction , or todays code?
I agree with Twinkles but realize that a Home Inspector can only look at what I visible. Much of what has changed in construction codes is hidden inside the walls.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 AM

245 posts, read 319,990 times
It's a slow process. Be careful around locking in your mortgage rate - there is a good chance this will run well past 30 days after the "on or about date".

If so, you will be left with a decision: walk away from the sale or close with the sellers money held on escrow that will be used towards getting the house up to code.

Depending on where rates sit at the time, it can be costly to extend your rate if you extend the contract.

Give yourself time, but don't let anyone knownthat but you and your mortgage co. Not even your realtor. Light a fire under the sellers ass to get this done.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Does the extension have plumbing?

How many inspections were completed when the permits were taken out in 1954?

You can also have seller put money in escrow to deal with this but it would have to be a lot of money!

Yes, it would be to today's code.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: