Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 746 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations and experience on long island elementary school for special education.
my son is 6 year old and will be attending 1st grade and has diagnosis of ASD , severe speech delays and poor socialization, auditory sensitivities, can only function in small classroom setting, and need of speech,OT, and PT and ABA services, currently receiving.
I have heard good things about herricks?? any experience? would like to know more about levitown and Roslyn too. how open these towns are if they need to send kid to private schools.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,992 times
How sensitive of you, I bet you also feel that since you have no children in school you should not have to pay school taxes.

To the OP, I cannot answer your question but I am sure someone here will know and respond

Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Keeping on topic, one of the more important considerations is to ensure services are provided in-district, otherwise your child goes to BOCES.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
The problem with some of the high performing districts is that they put a lot of their resources towards high achieving students, rather than special education. Districts with great reputations for academics in affluent areas do not necessarily have the best special education departments. Sounds like your child might require a self-contained special ed class and not every district offers that for all grade levels so then the special ed students get shipped out.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 PM

280 posts, read 286,540 times
Here we have heart defect driven autism and developmental dysfunction and brain damage (deciphering the acronyms) seeking to maximize for itself irrespective of cost onto the foolish school district (a locality of a few thousand families) willing dedicate the most monies to the same by providing the most "free services." Cost benefit anyone? To you bleeding hearts; How about sharing a social cost or imperative in a measured, uniform, universal, and fair way?

These costs need to be minimized and then spread over the whole nation, or absorbed by the family in question. If this family had to pay for its own problem watch how minimized the costs would be. I bet they would find better value.

God bless the saints (taxpayers) in the Oceanside school district who welcomed in 2 disabled kids and 1 mainstreamed kids into the school system for the low price of a $420,000 home purchase into the home I sold. This is a trend we are seeing whereby many high dollar need kids are going to be flowing from Queens (aka the whole world) to LI. How many multi-million dollar hits will the taxpayer take before this racket breaks under its own weight? The Ouroboros is in full form here. You think taxes on LI are high now, just wait five years.

As to this poster, not only is this individual inflating the cost of education (for the unfortunate taxpayers in whatever arbitrary school district they land) they are also inflating the cost of health insurance by cost-shifting their incredible cost structure to others.

There is no honesty in covering disability with corporate health insurance plans which then cost-shift under mandate of law; the same plans covering things which are 100% probabilities and therefore are not insurable. It is the same idea as insuring your car after you have an accident so that the pool of those insured will cover you on a de facto basis.

Our government as structured can draw down monies via taxes, and draw down monies by imposing costs on every aspect of life (see your rental car bill, or cell phone bill, or ask what your gasoline taxes are); but they cannot as structured provide much value in return.

Lets start being honest about costs, objectives, limitations, and value. Lets be humane, but lets not put millions of dollars into an individual that has very little societal value.

Last edited by martinx; 05-31-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 09:05 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,992 times
Is there a head hitting a brick wall icon on this site.
It's obvious that MARTINX never had or knew anyone who had a child with special needs or he would not be putting $ signs on the discussion. "Lets not put Millions " and" very little societal value" How can anyone think that way, Just so sad.

Oceanside, sorry for your loss. I am sure MARTINX did so much for your community

Old 05-31-2017, 10:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Syosset supposedly has one of the best Special Needs programs on LI.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Syosset supposedly has one of the best Special Needs programs on LI.
All the school districts with "special ed participation and graduation rates." Tons of totally unaccountable government fiefdoms.

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?county=28

Massive numbers of high cost kids in some cases moving upwards from 10% of all students to 15%+

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

I see I am being heavily censored here.

The idea of having a "progressive" idea subsidized and paid for by a "regressive tax" connected to real estate or healthcare is fruitless. The net effect is that you are hiding both cost and accountability.

Being unkind is not relevant being truthful and having integrity is relevant; frankly this forum is being a bunch of politically correct *******s that are doing a disservice to those who are done with the ponzi scheme whereby small communities have to pay for unaccountable and irresponsible activities to the tune of MILLIONS of DOLLARS for people that will provide no value and who are neither socially and civically responsible.

Why should I have to subsidize someone solely on them cherry picking a community is that is stupid enough to subsidize their mistakes and their lifestyle?

If you are going to censor me; have the balls and courtesy to delete ALL my posts and my ACCOUNT. Have some balls you feckless chicken **** coward. I would take that direction myself but you *******s don't have an account delete option by ****ing design.

Last edited by martinx; 06-01-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
If you are leaving the boards then stop posting, it ain't rocket science......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: