Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Connetquot is a pretty good SD, I like the programs for small kids, but IMO and at this point in time I would say both SD's are almost the same, if Sachem deteriorates into oblivion in the next decade, then I guess I'll have to deal with it.
On a side note, do you think there are any neighborhoods in holbrook that are better than parts of Ronkonkoma ?
New England Village area, etc, are nicer than Ronkonkoma in my opinion. Also, as you head out Broadway towards Sunrise there are some very nice elementary schools and neighborhoods. The one caveat, confirm the flight paths above your head, especially in that area. I used to live in Holbrook before moving to the Smithtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Connetquot is a pretty good SD, I like the programs for small kids, but IMO and at this point in time I would say both SD's are almost the same, if Sachem deteriorates into oblivion in the next decade, then I guess I'll have to deal with it.
On a side note, do you think there are any neighborhoods in holbrook that are better than parts of Ronkonkoma ?
Of course. New England Village East of Patchogue-Holbrook road has nice big newer houses..the other side has small houses that I'm not particularly fond of...looks like a 1970's poster child for bad planning around there, but that's most of Long Island. The only thing for kids without cars to do around there is ride their bikes through the LIPA right of way. Not a park or playground in sight.

In general houses in Holbrook are newer and nicer than in Ronkonkoma. Saying both districts are almost the same..that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Edit: There are still a lot of people listing 3 bedroom 1 bath ranches for 350K on tiny lots in Holbrook.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Of course. New England Village East of Patchogue-Holbrook road has nice big newer houses..the other side has small houses that I'm not particularly fond of...looks like a 1970's poster child for bad planning around there, but that's most of Long Island. The only thing for kids without cars to do around there is ride their bikes through the LIPA right of way. Not a park or playground in sight.

In general houses in Holbrook are newer and nicer than in Ronkonkoma. Saying both districts are almost the same..that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Edit: There are still a lot of people listing 3 bedroom 1 bath ranches for 350K on tiny lots in Holbrook.
Since you did not mention in what area are the 350k houses and what number I just did a quick search on MLS....

There are 15 houses in Holbrook that are 350k or under with 3 bed and 1+ baths, and 33 in Ronkonkoma for the same configuration. We should probably look into the actual neighborhood though, like for example the new england village you mentioned.... I do not find a single house for that price....

About the parks, I have to say I don't have detail information. Which parks in Ronkonkoma did you have in mind that kids without cars can go to ? I know Connetquot is one which you can get to from holbrook in almost the same time as some areas within Ronkonkoma.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Since you did not mention in what area are the 350k houses and what number I just did a quick search on MLS....

There are 15 houses in Holbrook that are 350k or under with 3 bed and 1+ baths, and 33 in Ronkonkoma for the same configuration. We should probably look into the actual neighborhood though, like for example the new england village you mentioned.... I do not find a single house for that price....
I'm referring to the New England Village "parkland" section. There's a house on Inverness, 3 bed one bath for 349K on the MLS. It has written "lowest price in Parkland".

These houses are tiny.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 AM

yes, you are right.... there is one. And if that house was any bigger (even a half bath more) that one would probably disappear.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
yes, you are right.... there is one. And if that house was any bigger (even a half bath more) that one would probably disappear.
There are a bunch of other houses of similar sizes from 319K all the way up to over 400K for 3 bedrooms with 2 baths. What's your point?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
There are a bunch of other houses of similar sizes from 319K all the way up to over 400K for 3 bedrooms with 2 baths. What's your point?
My point resides on the 2nd page of this thread post #16.

Edit: I know I ended up comparing Ronkonkoma and Holbrook.... (my bad) but the intention was just to point out that in general if the entire area market goes down by 30%.... the "perceived" better towns/cities/hamlets etc may not go down by that much. Its a different story that I in general perceive Holbrook to be better, but its really a personal observation. Also usually in such discussions people end up comparing the better areas of one town with the worse areas of the other town which doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited by zulu400; 07-23-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
My point resides on the 2nd page of this thread post #16.

Edit: I know I ended up comparing Ronkonkoma and Holbrook.... (my bad) but the intention was just to point out that in general if the entire area market goes down by 30%.... the "perceived" better towns/cities/hamlets etc may not go down by that much. Its a different story that I in general perceive Holbrook to be better, but its really a personal observation. Also usually in such discussions people end up comparing the better areas of one town with the worse areas of the other town which doesn't sound right to me.
I would consider most areas in Sachem SD "middle" areas, likewise with Connetquot. Oakdale down by the bay is "better", very few if any areas in Sachem are "better". None of Sachem SD lies North or South of 25A or 27A, respectively. Even New England Village section of Holbrook with big 4 bedroom colonials is a center of the Island cookie-cutter nightmare with no parks and no neighborhood stores.

I would say that areas in Conn. SD with similar housing stock to areas in Sachem are 5-10% higher priced. It all depends.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Even New England Village section of Holbrook with big 4 bedroom colonials is a center of the Island cookie-cutter nightmare with no parks and no neighborhood stores.
Thats true, there is just a strip mall on Patchogue-Holbrook road.... so you have to go all the way to Sunrise (Rt 27) for anything more than that.

There is a golf course / park out there though where you can play sports like tennis / basketball, baseball etc that is on the same road.... there is the holtsville park thats close by too.

I got this thread so hijacked.... the OP must be cursing me !!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM

270 posts, read 969,626 times
Quote:
I got this thread so hijacked.... the OP must be cursing me !!
Nah, the OP posted this over 16 months ago - I'm sure they're cool with your hijack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island