Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSSVERD View Post
Lol Nassau and Suffolk county... where "public servants" are actually being served by the public
Lol. Yup. Literally . Served fresh coffee for free at 7 11 and anything else they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Lol. Yup. Literally . Served fresh coffee for free at 7 11 and anything else they want.
That's how you feel? Shocker.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
That's how you feel? Shocker.
Don't take it the wrong way. They have a job to do. They signed up for it. They handle dangerous people and tough situations. They deserve the perks. My point is that we as NYers raise them up to god status here on LI. Everybody bows down and kisses the ring. Uniformed or plain clothed .....

Old 06-12-2017, 06:03 AM

67 posts, read 61,894 times
This ^

Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 AM

81 posts, read 128,387 times
Quote:
No they don't. Prove it.
Suffolk]Suffolk County 2015 payroll

As I was doing my research on why Nassau/Suffolk property taxes are higher than most other places in the country, I discovered this link. He is not far off. Look at how many have total compensation above 200k. Also keep in mind they retire after 20 years will full medical and 50% of their last few years average pay, so they work a ton of overtime to get it up to above 2-300k and collect a lifetime annuity. Property taxes pay for this. They are the highest paid police force in the country. Other public servants are not far behind and are also the highest paid in the country. Its one thing if Nassau/Suffolk were the safest counties in the country so one could justify pay for performance, but they're not. NYC police officers do the same job in tougher environments for less than half the pay.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
I'm on mobile, so I can't verify, but it looks like most of those are bosses who retired and collected big payouts in a one-time lump-sum. Those are not annual salaries. This is not what OP was referencing when he said get a cop job... You can't just walk into a $250 to $300,000 position. Suffolk and Nassau are making MUCH less with their new contracts.
This.

And as others said new hires now have to wait more than half their careers in Suffolk, 12 to get to top pay which is 118k. (Nassau is 9 years) it used to only be 5 to top pay. The older cops have a much sweeter deal but are retiring as time goes on with their large unused leave/sick payouts.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
Suffolk]Suffolk County 2015 payroll

Look at how many have total compensation above 200k. Also keep in mind they retire after 20 years will full medical and 50% of their last few years average pay, so they work a ton of overtime to get it up to above 2-300k and collect a lifetime annuity. Property taxes pay for this. Its one thing if Nassau/Suffolk were the safest counties in the country so one could justify pay for performance, but they're not. NYC police officers do the same job in tougher environments for less than half the pay.
No. Your list (highest folks) has 30-35 year retirees (not 20) who cash in sick days last year of work. Salary plus overtime is a much lower figure as your source clearly indicates.

Police pay has nothing to do with 'tougher environment' and never has.

Forgetting cherry-picked outliers, Nassau-Suffolk police pay generally does not seem out of line with COL.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
After 12 years as a teacher, with multiple degrees, I am making 99k (in a top district). I used to practice law but changed careers. On LI, this is a good way to go. Let the hate start....

Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 PM

No hate at all. You earn every penny. Every job has perks. There are pros and cons to every position. Educators are not treated like cops here on LI. That's not even up for debate. Matter of fact I think Cops have it better than doctors here.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 PM

64 posts, read 52,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan08 View Post
Im currently finishing my first year in Berkeley College where they offer Business, Law, I.T and Medicine.
I am a straight A student with a GPA avg of 3.8.

I have previously taken some I.T classes and was not to fond of it, and Law was just not for me and after doing some research, Law degrees are weighing out to be not as worthy as they once were.

I use to be a Personal Trainer with a large physique( People had recommended to me to become a police officer ) I am currently also working for TD bank as a Head Teller and am number in sales for the first year in the entire region.
I love selling, I love a rewarding career, i love meeting people, i love more than anything helping others, and im a huge family man.

By any chance can anyone tell me some of the top occupations in NYC that would be well fitting to my personal background and my educational background. Thank you and it is greatly appreciated.
Forget about the civil service.....civil service salaries depend on what part of the country you live in...some parts of the nation Police Cops make minimum wage and work on furlough.....and those so called wealthy suburbs on the east coast and the West coast are undergoing financial problems..... Eventually the salaries and pensions for cops teachers and firemen in these long island suburbs will have to be cut because of growing financial concerns and Americas decline..

Major in accounting and get a JD degree together.....People who have a dual law degree with an accounting CPA make the most money....these people also get a stockbroker certification and become those highly paid wall street finance attorney insiders ..

Last edited by Deeboy; 06-27-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island