Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 10,859 times

Advertisements

I have a gpa of a 3.7 right now, and i love helping others, i was wondering what degree would be best to pursue in. currently i am working at bank and i am number 1 in the entire long island region for sales for credit cards checking accounts loans home equity etc. i love a rewarding career.

I have gotten my feet wet in the I.T world, and it was just not for me to sit behind a computer and do work, the classes, environment was just not set out for me.
To also put it out there, i was also once a Personal Trainer, and have a large physique and people have recommended me to try out for Nassau County Police Officer, and or a State Trooper.
Unfortunately as rewarding as that career sounds, there is a big downfall for the wait time, but then again, medical and other careers are long process to pursue in as well, balancing the wait time out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 01:42 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
my son made a fabulous career out of labor law . huge demand on the corporate side not employee .

Old 06-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my son made a fabulous career out of business law .
if you dont mind me asking what does he do

Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM

labor law . specifically wage hour , defending and training the corporation side of things .

Old 06-05-2017, 02:27 PM

69 posts, read 126,332 times
If i could do it all over again I would be a physical therapist. Have a couple friends doing it now and it seems like a rewarding, lucrative career.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 AM

430 posts, read 557,677 times
There are far too many people running around with law degrees working for a much lower salary than anticipated. Much of the high paying work is undesirable, boring and not where you will be helping people. If you have a direct connection or someone who can get you into a field of law that may interest you, that may be a viable option. Otherwise, the world probably doesn't need another lawyer.

Doctors will always be needed and well compensated. If you have a desire to become a doctor and can handle the advanced schooling, absolutely go for it.

It's most important that you enjoy whatever it is you do in life. Don't overlook a rewarding career in other areas of law enforcement besides Nassau County PD. Becoming an officer in the military may also provide you with either an excellent and rewarding career or at least a great resume item.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 AM

you have to choose your law segment very carefully . my son lucked out and got an internship and hired right out of law school with a very prestigious national firm with 900 attorneys . 9 years later he made full partner last year . one of their youngest full partners in their history .

Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
I agree with the above.

You must be very careful about which area of law you enter into. You must also be very careful about which law school you pick since many law firms only want attorneys from the top law firms. I used to know a hofstra law school grad that still only makes about $35k several years after graduating and was left in over $100k in debt.

As for a degree in "Management", I strongly recommend that you have some kind of concentration. If you just go for "management", you might as well just have some random unmarketable liberal arts degree.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 AM

funny you mentioned the school factor . my son was in the top 2% of graduates at hofstra law .

he applied to the nyc location of the company he is now a partner in and was rejected . they told him they do not recruit from hofstra .

they would love to have him if he switched schools to nyu , columbia or brooklyn law .

so he requested a transfer .

in the mean time he was an editor for a labor law news letter . he wrote a few articles and someone at the same company he was rejected in nyc from read something he wrote and was in the white plains office .

now they contacted him . they did not ask him to switch schools and offered him 1600 bucks a week to work as an intern for the summer and eventually hired him at a 6 figure salary to start . .

today he is a full equity partner and is the boss of those who rejected him .

they are good friends today .

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM

I appreciate everyone who has gotten back to me. Putting aside Law, and looking into the medical field, truth be told, school is not so much for me, i go to get a career out of my education, and to be able to put bread on the table for my family. Medical field is something my parents always wanted me to do and it runs in the family, my aunts and cousins are all nurses and on their way of becoming physicians.

I wanted to know if anyone knows any medical field that would only require a Masters level degree at most, and nothing more past that, since vice versa i will be getting my MBA if i were to do Business Management.

Now i am also thrown off if i should get my business degree instead of going into a medical field, only because i am taking business marketing classes right now and i am getting straight A's without a try.

thank you so much guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: