Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Geez....same old crap....my daddy is better than your daddy mentality. Typical Long Islanders - you worry about monkeys throwing coconuts when the elephants are stampeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
"Optimum is the best" hahhahahahahahha. Thanks. That's the best laugh I had today.
Read the first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 PM

244 posts, read 540,374 times
FIOS ftw.

I'm an IT professional and regularly use all the upload bandwidth I can find. I once had a Cablevision rep come to my house to try to lure me back. When I told him about the upload speed (leaving all the other cable-modem issues out of it) he said, and I quote: "What do you need that much for?"

I now have a residential FIOS, and a business FIOS in the same location. Gigabit (940/880) on the residential, 150/150 for the business with a static IP.

Yeah, I know Cablevision/Altice can provide residential and business, but at a much downgraded upload speed, not to mention the whole "sharing" thing between me and my neighbors.

Ethernet over coax has been around since the 80's, and while the current state of DOCSIS is no where near the same thing, it all comes down to: You can't transmit while someone else is transmitting. So if your TCP ACK packets need to get out so the web server knows you can accept more data, guess what? They are delayed.

It's time for Altice/Cablevision to get with the 21st century and run straight fiber everywhere.

So far, Verizon has the bandwidth to supply me any time of the day or night, and never an issue on bandwidth that wasn't the upstream provider's or web site's fault.

Customer service? I've dealt with Verizon a number of times, no issues with prompt service. It helps to have all your ducks in a row before you call

Old 06-15-2017, 12:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Can a FIOS installer be lazy and use the same run from a pre-existing Cablevision line and connect that to the FIOS ONT? When done correctly, FIOS runs fiber optic lines into the ONT at the house which then uses coax to the router, right? So CV is straight coax end to end?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM

The set-top boxes still need COAX to communicate with the ONT - the router on the other hand, can be connected with network cable (twisted pair, at least cat-5e) to the ONT.

Older installations use only COAX between the ONT, the set-top boxes and the router. From the router to your computers is network wire. If you wanted it, and the installer knew what they were doing, they could hook it up with network wire between the ONT and the router.

Newer installations, they've been using the COAX only for the set-top boxes, and network wire for everything else.

The network-over COAX (MOCA) is limited to 250Mbps or so, and Verizon seems to keep that under 100Mbps to be on the safe side.

Cablevision has fiber to distribution boxes on the poles. Here in Lindenhurst, I see one box on the pole every few blocks. From the distribution boxes to the house, it's COAX. BUT - the COAX is a "shared media" - meaning you and however many of your neighbors are all using the same bandwidth. When you send data, and someone else is transmitting at the same time, your cable modem backs off and waits a certain amount of time before it tries again. This is usually in milliseconds, but can be a problem when you have a lot of neighbors all trying to use their Internet at the same time.

FIOS is truly a single fiber circuit all the way from the central office (for Lindenhurst, it's the big concrete building on Montauk Highway just west of Wellwood Ave). There is no power required between the central office and your house. So if the power goes out, and the battery backup for FIOS is good (or you have your own UPS or generator), FIOS keeps running. After Hurricane Sandy for example, all the Cablevision boxes on the poles died a few hours after the power went out and there was NO recourse for the end-user. FIOS on the other hand, I ran my ONT and WiFi router with an inverter and a marine deep-cycle battery for 4 days until I got a generator going (power came back 24 hours later, ironically).

My neighbor with Cablevision didn't get service back for almost 2 weeks after the power came back. I think they had to go to each box on the pole individually and reset them to get them working again.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
The takeover of Cablevision by Altice is beginning to have an effect on repair work, particularly for voice. Where previously service people were liberal with making repairs and rewiring, customers have begun to complain that new policies require outside contractors to be hired or even very minor work to be billed to the customer.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:42 PM

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Old 06-28-2017, 06:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
optimum is updating all thier coaxle drops to fiber optics on long island. so it will be equal to fios.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
optimum is updating all thier coaxle drops to fiber optics on long island. so it will be equal to fios.
Better late than never. Except for the lies their sales people tell saying that's its all fiber already. Which is why I will never use Optimum.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how they accomplish this. Upgrade existing customers, or supply it only to new customers?

Verizon uses PON - GPON for the newer installs, BPON for older ones but upgrading them as people order faster and faster Internet. GPON is capable of about 2.5Gbps down, and 1.2Gbps up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network

It's passive meaning it doesn't need any power between the Verizon Central Office and your home. So when the power goes out, if the Central Office keeps running (and they have their own power generating equipment), as long as you provide power to the ONT and router, you stay up and running. During Hurricane Sandy, I supplied power to it using a small 400 watt inverter and a marine battery which lasted 3 days before I got a generator.

Again, it will be interesting to see how Cablevision provides "direct fiber" to the house. They don't have the presence Verizon does, having central offices in basically every town and city. So Cablevision will have to either install new central locations, or use their existing "box on a pole" scenario, which will still have a power requirement.

On top of all that, the existing Lightpath infrastructure can hardly support a single customer I know of with two 5Gbps Internet connections. I personally know that they can't provide anything near the full bandwidth of these two connections. If they can't provide 10Gbps of bandwidth to a business, what makes you think they can provide 1Gbps of bandwidth to the home?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Isn't Altice a cost cutting company? If so why do they want to spend more money doing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island