Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,648 times

Advertisements

You are correct about Greenlawn and lots. Several sections, and the more northern ones in particular, have big lots. I am thinking about the Arbutus area and also the area off Clay Pitts to the east. Some of the attractive Huntington sections of Harborfields (such as Salem Ridge) also have huge lots. Centerport is actually the place that is NOT known for big lots, and has very few of them. There are a couple of houses with large lots at the end of the peninsula and a few sprinkled in the Laurel Hill area (which is too removed from the rest of Centerport to actually feel like a real part of Centerport, IMHO), and a few snuck in in the Old Centerport area, on the western edge of the pond. That's it, though. Most Centerport residents make do with tiny lots. Still a really beautiful area, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 02:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Foolery View Post
Y Centerport is actually the place that is NOT known for big lots, and has very few of them. There are a couple of houses with large lots at the end of the peninsula and a few sprinkled in the Laurel Hill area (which is too removed from the rest of Centerport to actually feel like a real part of Centerport, IMHO), and a few snuck in in the Old Centerport area, on the western edge of the pond. That's it, though. Most Centerport residents make do with tiny lots. Still a really beautiful area, though.
To the OP:
large parts of Centerport are also quite hilly with many narrow roads - not necessarily ideal for children's bike riding. Also, acreage in that area doesn't necessarily mean it's usable or that there is a large backyard But then, it's all relative...

Old 06-14-2017, 06:05 PM

113 posts, read 245,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Foolery View Post
Harborfields and HH are so different. The former is small and not diverse at all but has a community feel geographically centered in Greenlawn; the latter is much bigger with no physical town center. HHH is much more welcoming of other races than Harborfields, which is still lily-white. HH has more of a new-money feel, while Harborfields (and Centerport in particular) is more understated and tasteful (IMHO) with respect to architecture, etc. Totally different vibes, although both districts offer superb educational experiences. If you want the beachy vibe and that close-to-the-water feeling, definitely go with Centerport over Greenlawn or Huntington. Most of the district's boaters/sailors live in Centerport, and yes, many are in the yacht club, which offers a lot of sailing activity (regattas, camps, etc.). What Centerport does not have are large lots (with a few exceptions), a good commute to NYC, or a town center. Greenlawn (in the same school district) offers a small town center but it's too far away from Centerport to walk. Centerport kids are driven there and dropped off to hang out and walk around. It's not big, though, so if Northport village seems tiny to you, I don't see how Greenlawn would seem any bigger. Huntington Village is about 15 minutes away for shopping or eating, but parking is a big problem there. There are beautiful sections of Greenlawn and Huntington that feature large lots and are in the Harborfields district. No gangs around there. Can't walk to the water from these areas, though, which you could do from most of Centerport. A huge drawback to all of Harborfields but Centerport in particular is the LIRR service. It is miserable. You have a relatively short drive to the Greenlawn LIRR station from Centerport, but then you are stuck on the perennially awful Port Jeff line of the railroad, which almost always forces a Jamaica transfer and gets worse all the time. Your other option is a 15-20 minute ride to the Huntington LIRR station (depending on where in C-port you live and what time you are driving), but that involves (in addition to the drive to get there) a long walk to the station from parking areas and garages that are full by 7 or so. That line is no picnic either and most trains involve a ride that exceeds an hour, despite what the timetable might say. If depending on the LIRR for transport, I would rather live in Dix Hills and use either the Deer Park or Wyandanch stations, although again, the LIRR is awful everywhere unless you live on the Port Washington line. Again, you are lucky to be able to choose from two great school districts, but do be aware that you are dealing with two entirely different community experiences.
This is amazing information. Thank you so much! We are Jewish (not religious hence our exit from Great Neck). In your experience is Harborfields a mixed community religion wise? We would like a healthy dose of everyone-I don't want my kids to be the only Jewish kids in town. I read that Dix Hills has more Jewish people. Is that true (if you know)?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
is that true? I don't know a ton about Greenlawn but the few friends of mine who've lived there had an acre.

What's your budget?
My budget is flexible but we would like to stay under $1.5 mill. We need 5 bedrooms bc my mom lives with us and we need the spare room for out of town family (we have a lot of family in Florida). We also have 2 large dogs (ok one is gigantic he is a Great Pyrenees) and a cat. So we need the space inside the house and in the yard. From what I have read on other threads Greenlawn has smaller lots. But I will check it out anyway.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
To the OP:
large parts of Centerport are also quite hilly with many narrow roads - not necessarily ideal for children's bike riding. Also, acreage in that area doesn't necessarily mean it's usable or that there is a large backyard But then, it's all relative...
Thank you for this info it is very informative. We will take a look and keep that in mind.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLawyerMama View Post
My budget is flexible but we would like to stay under $1.5 mill. We need 5 bedrooms bc my mom lives with us and we need the spare room for out of town family (we have a lot of family in Florida). We also have 2 large dogs (ok one is gigantic he is a Great Pyrenees) and a cat. So we need the space inside the house and in the yard. From what I have read on other threads Greenlawn has smaller lots. But I will check it out anyway.
there is some useful information in the various threads here but they will only tell you so much. Start spending some time on www.mlsli.com for real-time pricing for what's currently on the market. You can set the search filters for just about anything (property size, taxes, bedrooms, etc).

Seems like your priorities are, in some order: good schools, decent commute, diversity, biking distance to "downtown", large property, and proximity to beach. Finding everything you want in one particular property is going to be challenging. You may want to prioritize them and figure out which ones are negotiable and which are not.

Last edited by S.I.B.; 06-14-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 06:38 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Yeah I agree you're more likely to find a large lot in greenlawn or Huntington. You won't have a problem being jewish.

A half acre is plenty big trust me. I have 2 sporty kids and a dog. We are fine. DD practices basketbal and DS practices baseball out back. Dog has run if the yard. Anymore and it becomes a headache.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
there is some useful information in the various threads here but they will only tell you so much. Start spending some time on www.mlsli.com for real-time pricing for what's currently on the market. You can set the search filters for just about anything (property size, taxes, bedrooms, etc).

Seems like your priorities are, in some order: good schools, decent commute, diversity, biking distance to "downtown", large property, and proximity to beach. Finding everything you want in one particular property is going to be challenging. You may want to prioritize them and figure out which ones are negotiable and which are not.
But why do I have to choose? I want it all!! Seriously though yes those are my priorities. Will have to let some things go as is always the case when buying real estate.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah I agree you're more likely to find a large lot in greenlawn or Huntington. You won't have a problem being jewish.

A half acre is plenty big trust me. I have 2 sporty kids and a dog. We are fine. DD practices basketbal and DS practices baseball out back. Dog has run if the yard. Anymore and it becomes a headache.
We used to give our dogs the run of the yard until they destroyed the whole yard by digging holes everywhere. Then we built them a dog run. Will do that in the new house too. We currently have 1/3 of an acre. It's ok but I would like more land. Anything over a half acre should be good, although if I'm moving on out to the East Side I would love to have room for a pool. Not a must but def a preference.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 AM

158 posts, read 189,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLawyerMama View Post
My budget is flexible but we would like to stay under $1.5 mill.
Cold Spring Harbor then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island