Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How about sharing the daily rider statistics which were probably influential behind discontinuting the weekday service?
Ok. Every weekday I used the Jones Beach bus it was full to the gills from Freeport. Returning to station in evening ditto. First hand honest account. Statistics can be corrupted and often are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Ok. Every weekday I used the Jones Beach bus it was full to the gills from Freeport. Returning to station in evening ditto. First hand honest account. Statistics can be corrupted and often are.
You're one person, making one trip in each direction. What about all the other trips on this route? I understand your frustration, but let's see a study in writing which backs up your assertion.

Do you have the daily rider statistics which were probably influential behind discontinuing the weekday service?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 1,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
They live in the city. Take the "A" train to the Rockaways and enjoy that beach or drive to another beach. No reason why Nassau county should pay to cater to people that live in NYC.
This is a frustrating attitude, because unless you live on that beach, someone is paying to cater for you to go to Jones Beach as well. NICE runs

Foremost, it's a state beach, open to everyone. Nassau residents, City residents, state residents, US citizens, foreign tourists.

Second, NICE is run by a Nassau County, it serves parts of Suffolk and Queens. It was formed as the MTA Long Island Bus service. Nassau County recently decided to privatize its operations to save costs, so riders don't get so much of a say in the service routes and frequencies. And while you deride people who live in the city who can visit the Rockaways - the MTA general fund has covered most of NICE's $130+ million annual operating costs while Nassau County pitched in a paltry $9 million. It wouldn't increase funding so gave it away to a private operator. Soooo, Nassau Co. residents lose an important service, won't help see its funding, and complain that it caters to "others" not in Nassau County. That's rich.

Third, it isn't "catering" to people that live in NYC. Many Nassau residents can't afford to take their cars to Jones Beach and pay the parking rates, and the County has an inherent reason to persuade every beachgoer NOT to take their car: traffic. By running select buses, it removes the bottlenecks at the beach and distributes beach-going populations along bus routes. And I assure you there are Nassau residents who don't own a car. In 2015, more than 21,000 Nassau County households reported not owning a car. Another 116,000 families own one car, so maybe that one car goes to work on weekdays and the family has no good option on weekdays save the bus link. Anyway, it's presumptuous.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 12:53 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 05:25 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Once again it is the cry of the NIMBY. There can be wasteful spending also long as it doesn't impact me. IF it were profitable to run a bus they would, they need every penny they can get.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:37 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Whether it is true or not I don't know. Just heard News12 in passing say as of this Thursday Jones beach Bus will run daily. Never used the buses as prefer driving,biking or boating. But I know many don't have that option. So hope it's true. On side note hubby brought home lots of clams today. Happy Beaching

And Happy 4th to everyone!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:49 PM

406 posts, read 624,029 times
There are plenty of options for residents of NYC to visit the beach. They could take the A train to the IMPROVED Rockaways, LIRR to Long Beach (rail/beach pass packages may still be available as in previous years). The Rockaways are of course still within NYC proper, but far enough away to give visitors the feel of being outside the city.

When only Nassau/Suffolk beaches will do and those coming from Manhattan want to go further than Long Beach, they could take the LIRR to Babylon and take a Suffolk bus to Robert Moses, or take the LIRR to stations with connections to other Fire Island ferries.

Now, getting to the OP's point about the NICE limiting bus service to Jones Beach from Freeport. I see an opportunity for a private company to transport city dwellers or more local residents who insist on Jones Beach for their day of sand and surf without a vehicle. As was accurately pointed out, that bus is VERY crowded, which may make it feasible to mobilize a fleet and still be profitable.

Thankfully, I do not believe there was ever a serious accident involving a packed NICE bus to Jones Beach. If there was, the driver and others may even be held criminally negligent for allowing such an overcrowded public transit vehicle to proceed.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diburgio View Post
This is a frustrating attitude, because unless you live on that beach, someone is paying to cater for you to go to Jones Beach as well. NICE runs

Foremost, it's a state beach, open to everyone. Nassau residents, City residents, state residents, US citizens, foreign tourists.

Second, NICE is run by a Nassau County, it serves parts of Suffolk and Queens. It was formed as the MTA Long Island Bus service. Nassau County recently decided to privatize its operations to save costs, so riders don't get so much of a say in the service routes and frequencies. And while you deride people who live in the city who can visit the Rockaways - the MTA general fund has covered most of NICE's $130+ million annual operating costs while Nassau County pitched in a paltry $9 million. It wouldn't increase funding so gave it away to a private operator. Soooo, Nassau Co. residents lose an important service, won't help see its funding, and complain that it caters to "others" not in Nassau County. That's rich.

Third, it isn't "catering" to people that live in NYC. Many Nassau residents can't afford to take their cars to Jones Beach and pay the parking rates, and the County has an inherent reason to persuade every beachgoer NOT to take their car: traffic. By running select buses, it removes the bottlenecks at the beach and distributes beach-going populations along bus routes. And I assure you there are Nassau residents who don't own a car. In 2015, more than 21,000 Nassau County households reported not owninModerator cut: link removed, competitor site
Informative post, thank you.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 12:53 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Whether it is true or not I don't know. Just heard News12 in passing say as of this Thursday Jones beach Bus will run daily. Never used the buses as prefer driving,biking or boating. But I know many don't have that option. So hope it's true. On side note hubby brought home lots of clams today. Happy Beaching

I will check the NICE website to see if this is correct, thanks.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post

NICE website does not so far confirm this. I hope you are correct.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
You mean LI has bad public transportation?! gtfooh!!

Two words: Coney Island. There is a reason the subways end at Stillwell and Rockaway. The beach.

Most state parks require a car to get to. Jones beach is special I guess cause LIers are a limitless cash machine for the STATE.

Finally, I GET TO BE THE NIMBY!!! hahahah

West 33rd St and Surf Ave. Serenity beach. Enjoy.

For the record, we used to take the Green Bus to Riis Park/Neponsit in the 70's. It was crowded to the point of nearly tipping over. Seasonal planning is not easy and on LI now, the LIRR fiasco is taking precedent over mid week beach goers. People can't get to work, hard to spare much pity for those who can't get to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island