Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM

67 posts, read 61,837 times

Advertisements

Just this past weekend had to help a family friend pull his boat from the marina and got a miniature tour of bayville and went thru oyster bay (hamlet) on the way home and was very intrigued to find out the dynamics of both areas.

Things to do?
Bad areas?
What commuting is like using the Railroad and what traffic is like on a regular day
Is flooding an issue? Which areas are most affected if so?
This an area a lot of people move to? Or is it kind of stagnet for growth and house prices?

Sure I'll have more questions but that is just to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Let's start with the RR. Many on the Oyster Bay line travel to Syosset because it has a better schedule, but I commuted on the OB line for over 20 years, albeit closer to the city than OB. It is like a slow boat to get there as there really are few roads in and out.

There is a good portion of Bayville that floods but the actual area that require flood insurance have changed since I moved. Both areas have good and better, to much, much better sections and some area are very high end. Depending upon who you are speaking with you might hear hoity toidy, to meh in terms of living there.

I had friends that lived in Bayville for years and loved it.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:44 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Twilight Zone. Easier to get to Montauk.
Nice area for sure but way out there.
Some real douchebags living right next door in Centre Island.
Uppity white folk with poor attitudes.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 AM

67 posts, read 61,837 times
Yea I got that impression that up there is very much a whole different world but didn't stop to talk to anyone.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 AM

487 posts, read 545,048 times
I am familiar more with Bayville since I have relatives there. They drove to the Glen Cove or Oyster Bay LIRR lines for a commute into the City, not the greatest. There is one main road through the town with the Long Island Sound one block up on one side and the Bay one block up on the other side. Those homes have private beach rights at the end of their blocks. There have been times during severe storms when the Bay and Ocean actually met, causing severe flooding. Ironically though during Hurricane Sandy they did not get hit hard. It's a small town, everyone knows each other, definitely out of the way. You can get their by going through Oyster Bay or by going through the Locust Valley/Lattington area. Their school district is the Locust Valley School District. There is definitely a unique small town feel there, people like that it is out of the way, summer months are fun but in the winter it is very quiet and secluded.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Yup, fairly isolated and a pain to commute at times. Its also what I like about it. It is one of the few towns in Nassau that feel like a true small town. I would pick OB over Bayville, maybe just because I lived there for a short time. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
I lived in Bayville for six months and commuted into the City; I DO NOT recommend it

I'd probably pick Oyster Bay over Bayville (commute isn't any better, just closer to the worst of the LIRR lines [that's my personal opinion]) because it has a bit more to offer - other than beaches.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 PM

402 posts, read 518,377 times
I live in OB and moved here last summer so i will answer your questions...

Things to do?
If your into nature, then lots of hiking, boating, biking etc. My husband and i go to Sagamore Hill and Raynham Hall to visit. We also sometimes do the historic walks. The beach is in town, so we go there and walk into town to eat. Tuesday nights are Cruise Nights if you are into fancy cars. People are very big into fundraisers here. Just attended one for the Waterfront Center in OB and the Railroad Museum the night prior. The town also has a very affordable yacht club and there are tons of things to do there as well. A beer garden just opened up next door and it has a wonderful view.

Bad areas?
There are two blocks where the homes are priced in the $300K zone, multi family. From my observation, people are buying and rehabbing these homes. Its not a bad area, just a bit lower priced than the rest of OB. I feel very safe here, typically leave my doors unlocked etc. Of course, i am aware anything bad can happen anywhere. People actually greet one another on the street and it is a town where everyone knows your name.

What commuting is like using the Railroad and what traffic is like on a regular day
Is flooding an issue? Which areas are most affected if so?

My husband takes the Syosset line if he is in a rush. If not, then the OB line. I drive to Brooklyn on a daily basis and it takes me an hour to get home if i leave before rush hour.

This an area a lot of people move to? Or is it kind of stagnet for growth and house prices?

We love it here... My neighbor's house sold $150k more than my own so that made me happy (He moved into town to downsize).Oyster Bay Cove has a social group that is very active in getting the community together. Ive met many people this way. I also belong to an active town organization and we are always looking for ways to best highlight the area with our additional funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island