Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM

481 posts, read 427,673 times

Advertisements

Hi Long Island.

Someone suggested that an expert here might have some idea of what this NYC pre-war building object could be.

I live in a 1920s constructed building.
I'm assuming that these weird basins that I see in the basement are part of the original construction. Nobody around here knows what they are and what they were used for.

There are a whole bunch of them lining the walls every 30 feet or so down there. They stand waist high. The drain hole in the sinks have all been sealed.

There are defunct dumbwaiters in this building too, for what it's worth.

What do you think?

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
It's a drain waste vent. Since it's sealed, then there's a newer version somewhere else now. Photo should look familiar by it's design and not currently in use in your home.
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all LI contractors, plumbers. WTH is this thing??-sewer-vent.jpg  

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I was going to say a basement urinal.....

Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I was going to say a basement urinal.....
Probably why the drain hole was sealed.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM

397 posts, read 516,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's a drain waste vent. Since it's sealed, then there's a newer version somewhere else now. Photo should look familiar by it's design and not currently in use in your home.

No, it's not a vent... There is a trap below it which suggests it's just a drain, some kind of specialty sink... For what, Im not sure. Looks like the spit bowl on the side of a dentist chair.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
No, it's not a vent... There is a trap below it which suggests it's just a drain, some kind of specialty sink... For what, Im not sure. Looks like the spit bowl on the side of a dentist chair.

ok then, it's a wash basin and the water supply was behind the cemented area behind it.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
This.
The trap indicates that it was used as a drain of some type rather than a vent for gas.
I've seen a similar set-up for draining air conditioning equipment into the building's drain system, but given the age of the building that's most likely not going to be the case here.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
If there was ever a Restaurant, Deli or Bar located on the first floor. The objects would be indirect drains for the condensate from the refrigeration cooling coils.

Some bar sinks also used this arrangement as a direct piped drain would put any sewer backup into the sink, this way it spilled into the basement. Still a mess but better than contaminating the refrigerators and sinks that were in contact with food and drink glasses

Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 PM

481 posts, read 427,673 times
Thanks for your ideas, guys, you're making this way more interesting.

The drain theory is interesting, because the apartments were built beside a reservoir. Perhaps they have something to do with a flooding risk? It would help if I could figure out where the pipes were sending or retrieving water from. It's odd that they go into the basement floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island