Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeny1980 View Post
Dman, it takes a more sophisticated palate to appreciated the heart-slowing tacos. I'm glad to meet a contemporary of mine. Please try the recipe that I posted, I made them several months ago and took a photo. (how often does anyone photograph their food). All that is missing is the greasy paper wrapper/envelope.

Some were a little underdone, but some of them had the crispy goodness of burnt bits and dirty oil scorching them. The sloppy iceberg lettuce and almost thoughtlessly inserted half slice of "cheese" are absolutely critical details.

Next time I make them I am pulling out all of the stops. I plan to make the paper taco envelopes by hand. And I think I'm going to need to build a taco frying rack maybe with a clotheshanger. These were popping open too much when cooking. A proper Jacks taco is sealed rather tightly.
Brilliant, I tell you, brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM

66 posts, read 232,592 times
There was a Jack in the Box on Hempstead Turnpike in Hempstead. One on Hillside Avenue in Hew Hyde Park. I cannot remember any others.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
I moved back to the Island a few years ago from Texas and Jacks is very big there. Awesome food such as the monster Tacos and ultimate bacon cheeseburgers etc... By far one of my favorite fast food restaurants as well as sonic and Whataburger and after a night of bar hopping it couldn't get any better. Long Island is missing out. Check out their locations and menus. Great commercials also...they revived Jack as a pretty cool character.

check out the commercials link especially the 2nd one. classic...actually they are all good.

Jack in the Box - Locations

Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I moved back to the Island a few years ago from Texas and Jacks is very big there. Awesome food such as the monster Tacos and ultimate bacon cheeseburgers etc... By far one of my favorite fast food restaurants as well as sonic and Whataburger and after a night of bar hopping it couldn't get any better. Long Island is missing out. Check out their locations and menus. Great commercials also...they revived Jack as a pretty cool character.

check out the commercials link especially the 2nd one. classic...actually they are all good.

Jack in the Box - Locations
I have tried Whataburger down south. It was okay but a long time ago when they had a sturdy plastic "nickel" coffee cup and if you brought your cup in you could get coffee for a nickel.

Never tried Sonic. I see the commercials all the time though. Why are they spending money running commercials and they don't have any near us at all?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have tried Whataburger down south. It was okay but a long time ago when they had a sturdy plastic "nickel" coffee cup and if you brought your cup in you could get coffee for a nickel.

Never tried Sonic. I see the commercials all the time though. Why are they spending money running commercials and they don't have any near us at all?
Whataburger in my opinion to this day have the best fries and largest burgers. I think they still do the nickel coffee.

Whataburger (http://www.whataburger.com/browse_the_menu.php - broken link)

Sonic is also awesome. I did a search and the nearest on my GPS and the nearest one to Suffolk county is like 300 miles in Virginia...don't hold me to that. I stopped by one 3 weeks ago when I was in Dallas.

SONIC®, America’s Drive-In® (http://sonicdrivein.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=EA9367123C9CF74C8302B26F54A452 07.sonic-prod - broken link)

Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

They also advertise Super Walmarts that are immaculate and huge and have supposed wonderful steaks and produce and there are none anywhere near here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-06-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post

Sonic is also awesome. I did a search and the nearest on my GPS and the nearest one to Suffolk county is like 300 miles in Virginia...don't hold me to that. I stopped by one 3 weeks ago when I was in Dallas.

SONIC®, America’s Drive-In® (http://sonicdrivein.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=EA9367123C9CF74C8302B26F54A452 07.sonic-prod - broken link)
Could they be testing out the water to see what the Tri-state area's reaction would be?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
I havent had crack in a box in over 30 years. I always avoided it.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:47 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeny1980 View Post
Man, what I wouldn't give for a Jack's taco.

Yes it was on the corner of 112 and Terryville Road. My brother and I used to go there all the time. They didnt have a "super taco" it was called a Taco Grande - and to this day I've never seen another place serving extra-long tacos. They used to have Taco-Tuesday, which I think was buy two get one free. Nothing better than a deep-fried Taco. That store was always pretty grimey but the tacos were simplistic and great. There was a guy and his mother who used to work there all time, he looked like Prince but blonde. But then again, it was the late 1980's early 1990's so alot of people looked like Prince. Ha. Either way, they were nice people. That store probably closed down in maybe 1993.

I always thought it was weird that it was called Jack's not Jack-In-the-Box.

Here is a great link I once found for a Jack-In-The-Box taco recipe. I've made it and it certainly fulfilled my 15+ year taco-abstinance. Jack-in-the-Box Tacos Recipe : Recipezaar

There was a time maybe around 2003 when Burger King was selling tacos. I know, it sounds weird. They sold them for less than a year. But the tacos were exactly the same as Jack's tacos.
They sold them again in 2007 but the only difference was the sauce. I've actually contacted the corporation and they have no plans as of yet to expand in this direction.The one in PJS closed mainly because of cleanliness problems but also because the corp was closing all of its northeast franchises.The closest one down south is in north carolina.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

They also advertise Super Walmarts that are immaulate and huge and have supposed wonderful steaks and produce and there are none anywhere near here.
because of some law they are not allowed on long island but are all over the country including upstate and western new york.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-06-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island