Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Still doesn't come close to what the entire state of Vermont smells like in the summertime.
Rotten leftover cheddar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,435 times
Would anyone suggest moving to Manorville, NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguy24 View Post
hi all,this is my first post.i just wanted to know what you all know about manorville? my wife and i found a 5 bedroom home for just under $600,000 on a full acre.the house has been completly redone,new kitchens and baths,floors windows and doors.its pretty much move in condition.i just don't know very much about the area or surrounding towns being we are coming from queens.thanks any info would be a great help

Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,435 times
I need to input on where to live in Long Island. My husband works in Melville and we are looking for the best school district and definitely looking east. Thought about Manorville, but don't know anything about it except it looks reasonable for home purchase. Also have been looking at Miller Place and Shoreham/Wading River. Anyone know about schools in these areas? We will probably rent for a year as we know nothing about the area but need to decide on what school district to live in as we will NOT want to change schools. Right now kids are starting 8th and 5th grade in PA. We are hoping to make this move in the next year. Any input here would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM

122 posts, read 390,951 times
Miller Place is a good district, but I personally wouldn't like the commute to Melville. 347/25A is a hideous road, even if you're only on it for a short while.

Shoreham/Wading River is one of only three districts on LI to not pass a school district budget this year because it would have amounted to a huge increase in the taxes. To many, that is a red flag.

I don't know enough about Manorville schools to offer an opinion but they have some nice houses out that way.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Stick with a home in the Eastport school district. It has a favorable reputation. Manorville is peaceful, quiet and quaint. One of the last areas not over taken by strip malls and retail stores. But how long will that last?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcyork View Post
I need to input on where to live in Long Island.
shcyork, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

shcyork, in thinking about what things there are to do when you do relocate to Lawn Guyland, here are two sites that offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

And, li4kids, is especially for the kinder.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Manorville is awesome. Great schools, great suburban community. Reminds me of what Long Island was and should be.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM

25 posts, read 86,268 times
Default eastport south manor middle and high school

We have narrowed down our search for a home and like one in Eastport, however I have been told that the westhampton beach middle and high school is better. I have reviewed their tests scores and so see some differences but not a lot. Does anyone have any opinions on the school environments in these areas

Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are 18 communities on the North Fork:

There are 7 hamlets (Aquebogue, Baiting Hollow, Calverton, Jamesport, Northville, Riverhead and Wading River) all or partly in the Town of Riverhead and 1 village (Greenport) and 10 hamlets (Cutchogue, East Marion, Fishers Island, Greenport West, Laurel, Mattituck, New Suffolk, Orient, Peconic and Southold) in the Town of Southold.
Fishers Island has a CT zip code, right Walter?

You've taught me a lot of things in this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island