Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM

13 posts, read 39,194 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.
We (my husbund and I) were looking for a condo in a new building in the City but prices are crazy!!!!
So we finally decided to buy an house somewhere in Long Island. I am thinking about Garden City. I work in the City so the 45 minutes commute really attracts me.
However, I don't know anything about the area.
Please could you help me to make a little clarity?
Where is the best place to buy? Garden City, GC Park, GC South, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Floral Park, Elmont, Stewart Manor?
As you can see I am really confused!
We cannot spend more than $450-500,000.00 for a 2-3 bedrooms and I need to be as close as possible to the LIRR.
Will I be able to find something for this price?
Thank you.
Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM

68 posts, read 197,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilena78 View Post
Hi everybody.
Where is the best place to buy? Garden City, GC Park, GC South, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Floral Park, Elmont, Stewart Manor?
As you can see I am really confused!
We cannot spend more than $450-500,000.00 for a 2-3 bedrooms and I need to be as close as possible to the LIRR.
Will I be able to find something for this price?
Thank you.
Maria
450-500k will probably not buy you anything in Garden City. You can probably get something between 400-500k in New Hyde Park, Floral Park, or Garden City South. Assume taxes of $7-9k average.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
450-500k will probably not buy you anything in Garden City. You can probably get something between 400-500k in New Hyde Park, Floral Park, or Garden City South. Assume taxes of $7-9k average.
How are these areas? Is it worthed moving there?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
Well, there are some co-op buildings you can find in this range, I assume are pretty nice. Of this group, GC is the best in my opinion. Best schools, best community, will hold value the best.

There's a development on 7th called Hampshire House Condos that is very nice, but a 2BR is close to $700K. Doorman, etc...steps from the "downtown
area. You never know, something to check out.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Well, there are some co-op buildings you can find in this range, I assume are pretty nice. Of this group, GC is the best in my opinion. Best schools, best community, will hold value the best.

There's a development on 7th called Hampshire House Condos that is very nice, but a 2BR is close to $700K. Doorman, etc...steps from the "downtown
area. You never know, something to check out.

Hi, we are looking for a house, a small house. Which areas you suggest near GC?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM

244 posts, read 668,893 times
check out stewart manor. Right next to GC, GC Schools, LIRR very close

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post

Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
I agree, Stewart Manor is a very good deal although a tiny village, so it might be hard to find something there solely for lack of properties. I'm also pretty sure that most of Stewart Manor goes to Elmont schools, which aren't as good as Garden City Schools if you're concerned about that.

There are two 3BR townhouses on MLSLI in Garden City for under $500k, and the taxes are under $6k...I'm pretty sure I know where this is and if I'm correct you can walk to the County Life Press LIRR station from it:
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Out of those places listed, I think you might do best in Floral Park if you want an actual house. It's also a very nice area, not quite as upscale as Garden City, but has an even quicker train ride into Manhattan. New Hyde Park, Mineola and Garden City Park are also good bets (in that order). Garden City South and Elmont are kinda far from the LIRR. Definitely not walking distance.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 29,341 times
there are a couple of streets in stewart manor that are garden city schools. But from your post I am assuming you dont have children. Of all the areas mentioned GC and stewart manor are the best. You may be able to find some good bargains.... I know a house across from me in stewart manor, 3 br with GC schools just sold for 505k.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
You may want ot look at Merrick or Wantagh......more in your price range and very close to the LIRR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island