Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times

Advertisements

There are successful people in the world who went to terrible districts

There are unsuccessful people in the world who went to top districts.

Your education is what you make it for your child. Be involved as a parent and instill the right values in your child, get them help when needed and they should do fine in any district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
if you match these prices up with schooldigger rankings (grain of salt of course, but a fairly representative guide by general reputation), these are arguably best/worst buys (excluding charters and districts with no high schools), using $550k as an over/under (which admittedly is arbitrary, but just kind of feels right to me as an overall line of affordable vs expensive):

Nassau
Best buys: East Meadow, Bethpage, Bellmore-Merrick, Levittown
Worst buys: Port Washington, Oyster Bay - East Norwich, Long Beach, Lawrence

Western Suffolk
Best buys: Elwood, Hauppauge, Kings Park
Worst buys: Huntington

Central/Eastern Suffolk
Best buys: Three Village, Port Jefferson, Shoreham-Wading River, Mount Sinai
Worst buys: (nothing really except for the north/south fork where prices are in no way tied to schools)
I would consider Elwood the absolute worst value, they have the highest school tax rate in the Town of Huntington. Besides Commack, all other districts on a 550kish home would pay 2300-3200k less than a equal home in Elwood schools.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM

158 posts, read 189,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I would consider Elwood the absolute worst value, they have the highest school tax rate in the Town of Huntington. Besides Commack, all other districts on a 550kish home would pay 2300-3200k less than a equal home in Elwood schools.
noted that you think a top 20-ish district on LI at median $526k is "the absolute worst value". ok then

this analysis is simply a comparison of rankings and home values across LI, not the relative property taxes of the town of Huntington

Last edited by CJim3; 04-08-2019 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 PM

158 posts, read 189,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There are successful people in the world who went to terrible districts

There are unsuccessful people in the world who went to top districts.

Your education is what you make it for your child. Be involved as a parent and instill the right values in your child, get them help when needed and they should do fine in any district.
no doubt everything you say is true. but a lot of people consider school district rep when factoring in home sale value

Old 04-08-2019, 03:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
noted that you think a top 20-ish district on LI at median $526k is "the absolute worst value". ok then

this analysis is simply a comparison of rankings and home values across LI, not the relative property taxes of the town of Huntington
I think it's bad value because you can get a similar home in nearby Northport, HHH and Huntington SD with a substantially lower tax bill. I like the Elwood area. What I didn't like was the 20-21k tax bill that was in the low 15k's in other districts. Granted these homes are well over 550k. CSH is a great value but you aren't sniffing a house for 550k

Old 04-08-2019, 05:39 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,841 times
Personally I'd be leery of buying in Northport if taxes are an issue, until the current LIPA/Huntington lawsuit is resolved.

That said, it's been dragging on for close to a decade so I suppose it could drag on for another five or whatever. Depends on how "good" both sides lawyers are, I guess.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ant-1.29521435

Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM

108 posts, read 121,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Interesting how the latest data is ranking Syosset HS a few notches higher than Jericho... I call that BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island