Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 07:09 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

Anyone have info on the Oakwood On The Sound? They are seasonal cottages on leased land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM

429 posts, read 852,763 times
My grandparents actually own a home just a few blocks north of Hulse Landing Road, one block off the water. They've owned it for something like 60 years. It's a place where most people live seasonally, but my grandparents have been living there full time for the past few years, because they had heating installed.

I think it's one of the few reasonably-priced areas left near water on LI. I also have a feeling it will increase in popularity over the coming years, as more businesses seem to be opening out there and Wineries are booming on the North Fork.

The private beach community is nice - the beach itself is a typical north shore beach - very rocky. But it's clean and small. It used to be ALL older people, but over the past decade or so, I've seen a lot of them pass on, leaving my grandparents behind and many more younger families started coming to the area.

Anyway, I don't have any info about the houses on leased land in particular, but I know the area very well.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I have several friends who have summer cottages in Baiting Hollow, still waiting to hear back from another fellow who I think might be in Oakwood on the Sound.

For anyone whose interest is piqued, here's an older article about these north shore summer cottage communities:
'Poor Man's Paradises': Not Just for Summer - New York Times

Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
WOW! As the OP, I can't believe I posted this over 6 years ago!

Anyway, I revisited this summer cottage location. Again, it's small cottages in Wading River with beach access. Only seasonal: April-Oct. Some cottages have amazing views of the sound. Tucked away in a forest like setting. Exactly what I am looking for without driving 3+++++++ Hours to a vacation spot.

The cottages seem to run $99k & Up. I viewed one for $125k. They are so cheap because they are on LEASED LAND. About 100 +/- homes in the development. They were built over 60 years ago, so I'm not too concerned about all the questions/issues with "Leased" land.

I am just trying to figure it out if it's all worth it? The land lease is about $4,800 per year, taxes are about $2,400 per year. Includes water & garbage pick up. Figure an additional $2,400 per year +/- (seasonal, cottages small) for utilities & insurance.

That works out to be APPROXIMATELY $800 Per Month +/- (Over 12 months) Those numbers are VERY AFFORDABLE for me. However, if you break it down another way, it works out to be double to $1,600 per month, based off of "Usable Months": April -Oct (6 Months)

I look at the $800 per month figure, it seems great! I break down the "usable month/6 month" figures, THATS CRAZY!!!!!

Opinions?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Idk, it seems OK if you snowbird to florida or something. Just buy a regular house in the SWR area instead and live there full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island