Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehomebuyer23 View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The most important thing to is firstly to be in a great school district for our kids. Secondly its to have a home with enough space, a decent backyard, and certainly far enough away from the plume and 1500+ feet away from the highways (something difficult it seems in the plainview SD when house hunting).

Any insight into whether the Bethpage plume is a cause for concern for homes zoned in the plainview-OBP school district?

And again, giving our kid the best chance in a great school is the most important. But if the difference between Syosset and Plainview is negligible, then it becomes a real consideration.
The plume has absolutely nothing to do with Plainview. They are seperate water districts, more importantly the plume has leaked the complete other direction towards Levittown, Wantaugh and Massapequa.
Not sure why you have a problem finding something away from the highway. I looked in both towns and since I wasn't looking in North Syosset I felt there wasn't enogh reasons to pay the extra money. Yard space is hit or miss unless you are looking in the Washington ave section. I am on a little over 10k sq ft lot, many homes have the standard 60x100. Make sure you look at Old Bethpage also (Plainview Schools) they have some larger lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Since you mentioned it, I'd suggest Syosset schools if you really want to challenge your kids. I think I've only seen Plainview schools beat them once in the last many years. I'm pretty sure Plainview is more laid back in terms of schooling and competition. You have to be sure that's what you want for your children.

As for the topic of tiger parents, we hear about the lazy millennial generation all the time. I'm not sure why you want to take the pedal off the gas too much. If the bar has been raised, you should act accordingly (at least try) or get left behind (while complaining about certain people taking over). That said, you could still do well in Plainview as long as you're on top of your kids.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,695,389 times
THere is a small section of hicksville that has very nice homes (all brick) but is zoned syosset schools. Its up in the NE part of Hicksville

Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
I would pick Syosset. Just my preference.

I agree, the plume should not be consideration for you in the are you are considering.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
THere is a small section of hicksville that has very nice homes (all brick) but is zoned syosset schools. Its up in the NE part of Hicksville
Yes it's basically the couple blocks just off South Oyster Bay Road.

A couple blocks southeast of Woodbury Rd. in Plainview are also Syosset schools.

No idea why they do that.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Plainview has a better swim club. Is that the tie breaker? LOL.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 PM

450 posts, read 385,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What if it's true?

This is what's happening now - tiger families are now overflowing from Jericho and Syosset and buying in Plainview. Their SD now offers Mandarin for world languages. Won't be long before it becomes a similar SD as Syosset if it isn't one already.
It's been a lot of time since this post so I wanted to see if we could circle back and check if Plainview is really on par with Syosset now? I've heard good things about Plainview and Cold Spring Harbor, these two were recommended instead of Jericho and Syosset because of how much Jericho has changed and how much more pressure the kids are under.

CSH is kind of out of budget, but then I am worried if there has been any change in plume in Plainview since this topic was discussed 2yrs ago, then do we still need to worry about Cerro Wire site in Syosset? I've been looking at houses as far from the site as possible, north syosset (as much as we can afford) or Woodbury. I realize Plainview as much more affordable houses, but schools seem to have a big difference:

Syosset Average meeting standards: 78.84%
Plainview/Old Bethpage Average meeting standards: 65.02%

Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
It's been a lot of time since this post so I wanted to see if we could circle back and check if Plainview is really on par with Syosset now? I've heard good things about Plainview and Cold Spring Harbor, these two were recommended instead of Jericho and Syosset because of how much Jericho has changed and how much more pressure the kids are under.

CSH is kind of out of budget, but then I am worried if there has been any change in plume in Plainview since this topic was discussed 2yrs ago, then do we still need to worry about Cerro Wire site in Syosset? I've been looking at houses as far from the site as possible, north syosset (as much as we can afford) or Woodbury. I realize Plainview as much more affordable houses, but schools seem to have a big difference:

Syosset Average meeting standards: 78.84%
Plainview/Old Bethpage Average meeting standards: 65.02%
We had a damn line out the door last April at my open house in Plainview 90% where Asians. Don't worry about Cerro, nothing ever happens in Town of Oyster Bay. What does it matter if they build crap there you won't be living next to it. CSH is by far the nicest option you mentioned, it is pricey. You really can't go wrong With Syosset, Plainview or CSH schools. CSH is very tiny compared to the other 2. Its a good time to buy, I see homes selling for way less now than I got last year and sitting on the market. Last year homes where off the market in days not months.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It is true for some of the colleges, and if you want to get into UNC-Chapel Hill from the high schools in our area that is the bare minimum. Heck my nephew had all of that and still got wait listed (which he did not pursue). My point is....there are 700 kids in my son's graduating class, is this something every single parent/child needs to be aiming for? You see these people gnashing their teeth before their kid is even in kindergarten....or even born.

Tiger parents....yup, we got 'em in spades here.
Lol I love when I see someone that learns a trade does it well and ends up making more money than most “tiger kids” without the 100 thousand dollars worth of student loan debt. A buddy of mine makes more than a brain surgeon and he’s a harbor pilot. Another has a successful electrician business. College isn’t the end all be all.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-19-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 12:26 PM

^ that is true, but until that becomes a more solid and proven path, there will always be parents who push their kids hard. In our Plainview schools, our kids tell us it's obvious the asians (indians included) do a lot better than others. Even when you go to a school concert, most of the ones who's names are called are asian. Personally my kids are on 3 different sports teams on top of academics. Don't want them to be stereotypical or one-dimensional. Wish more "tiger parents" did the same and let their kids loose a bit. But knowing the kids, they only care about video games outside of school.

Which leads me to another point. It's really not all about making the most money. Because if it were, I'd be ok with them being yet another Youtuber sitting at home all day and raking in the cash. That is so far from what I want to raise my kids to be.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-19-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island