Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ that is true, but until that becomes a more solid and proven path, there will always be parents who push their kids hard. In our Plainview schools, our kids tell us it's obvious the asians (indians included) do a lot better than others. Even when you go to a school concert, most of the ones who's names are called are asian. Personally my kids are on 3 different sports teams on top of academics. Don't want to be stereotypical or one-dimensional. Wish more "tiger parents" did the same and let their kids loose a bit. But knowing the kids, they only care about video games outside of school.
The difference I see here between the Asians and Indians are the Asian kids are more.....IDK, it's like they have a plan. The Indian kids are all in trouble if they don't get all A's but they graduate from college and then they just get regular run of the mill jobs. The Asian kids are more focused, they want to be doctors, researchers, or whatever. Teachers have told me the other difference is the Indian kids learn by rote, not really delving deep into subject matter.

When it comes to college and career path, I stand by what I wrote years ago. There are jobs, good paying jobs, that need to be done and no one is going to fork over $100K and up in college tuition if that's what they want to do. This is a point of pride for many parents and I get that. But it's also become a point of pride with the schools. My son and my husband met with the school's college counselor last fall and were talking about where to apply to colleges. My husband mentioned my son could do C.C. if he wasn't happy with the places he got into and then go from there. The college counselor was STRONGLY opposed to this idea. Of course, the reason isn't because she's so worried about my son it's because the school wants to say "x"% of our graduates go on to a 4 year college. Again, if someone's passion is fixing your car or your HVAC or building houses they are not necessarily going to spend exorbitant sums on college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM

450 posts, read 385,974 times
youtuber phase shall pass too, right now people don't realize how much time they are wasting watching those people and it makes absolutely no difference in their lives, other than creating more urge to buy or replicate what those youtubers do, not realizing most of them have backing from one entity or another.

twingles makes a perfect point, it's not just parents but also schools pushing this idea that they are the best out there and under no circumstances should their graduates be attending C.C.'s. Why? I know many great people who went to community colleges, received great education and continued at a 4 year college. I don't know why CC's get a bad rep but it if really impacts schools overall grade (whatever that is) then they should just focus on what each graduate becomes by checking in with them 10 years later. Create a "where are they now" grading system. I don't care how many of them went to what college but what did they become? Education does not end with graduation from HS or getting high grades does not make you a smart successful person.

Grads should be trying to do whatever makes them happy, and whatever helps them earn a living without killing them. Some people truly love fixing HVAC or work as electrician or build houses. The key is to start before you have a family to support, once you have a family, mortgage, other obligations, we'll be stuck doing what we are doing and won't take any risks..

We need schools that teach people how to learn and inject the idea that education never ends, while reminding every single student that respect, kindness and generosity are very important.

Between Syosset and Plainview, it also comes to personal preference. I find Syosset/Woodbury, especially north of 495 to be greener and more in nature vs south of 495. I love driving through convent road or cold spring road north in summer or fall.

So to be clear the plume is not impacting life in Sysosset/Woodbury, and we don't have anything to worry about besides train noise and traffic?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
youtuber phase shall pass too, right now people don't realize how much time they are wasting watching those people and it makes absolutely no difference in their lives, other than creating more urge to buy or replicate what those youtubers do, not realizing most of them have backing from one entity or another.

twingles makes a perfect point, it's not just parents but also schools pushing this idea that they are the best out there and under no circumstances should their graduates be attending C.C.'s. Why? I know many great people who went to community colleges, received great education and continued at a 4 year college. I don't know why CC's get a bad rep but it if really impacts schools overall grade (whatever that is) then they should just focus on what each graduate becomes by checking in with them 10 years later. Create a "where are they now" grading system. I don't care how many of them went to what college but what did they become? Education does not end with graduation from HS or getting high grades does not make you a smart successful person.

Grads should be trying to do whatever makes them happy, and whatever helps them earn a living without killing them. Some people truly love fixing HVAC or work as electrician or build houses. The key is to start before you have a family to support, once you have a family, mortgage, other obligations, we'll be stuck doing what we are doing and won't take any risks..

We need schools that teach people how to learn and inject the idea that education never ends, while reminding every single student that respect, kindness and generosity are very important.

Between Syosset and Plainview, it also comes to personal preference. I find Syosset/Woodbury, especially north of 495 to be greener and more in nature vs south of 495. I love driving through convent road or cold spring road north in summer or fall.

So to be clear the plume is not impacting life in Sysosset/Woodbury, and we don't have anything to worry about besides train noise and traffic?
Trades pay a lot of $$ and something like electrician or plumber, could provide a comfortable life on LI. Just something to keep in mind …

Old 05-20-2019, 11:05 AM

15 posts, read 11,955 times
FYI - India is a country in the continent of Asia so they are Asians are as well.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs1219 View Post
FYI - India is a country in the continent of Asia so they are Asians are as well.
Asians has replaced a word that begins with "o" that was deemed inappropriate a few decades ago.

East Asians vs South Asians is probably a better way to segregate it if you are going to. China/Korea/Japan vs India/Bangladesh/Pakistan

Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post

All good points. Going to a community college to start is definitely a viable option, but really the benefit there is the money savings for the credits. The college experience is entirely missed however (freshman year is huge), and that was a big deal in growing into adulthood and making life-long friends. Whether that is worth the 10s of thousands of $s, that's up to the individual. And be smart about what you're studying, because spending over $100k to get a worthless dead-end degree speaks for itself.

I will also say that while you're in school, getting the relevant experience, even if low/non-paying internships, could be worth more than the paper degree people end up with. If you can speak an interviewer's ear off about what you already know, that is better than the guy who recites from books. Still need that paper to get the face-to-face first.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM

450 posts, read 385,974 times
I didn't think about the friendship aspect, that's a good point. Making friends in freshman year and seeing same people for 4 years will be worth a good deal too. In terms of tuitions, while it is a good advantage for some people, I don't think it's that much of a difference if you are staying within CUNY or SUNY schools, and I believe some of their colleges offer great education and they are very affordable. If there is a chance the kids will go to some ivy league schools, you better make sure you start saving in a college savings fund when kids are born so that there is enough money in that fund for any expensive college, even if not ivy league. Last thing I want is seeing my kids with a huge student loan debt that they will pay forever, unless there is a change in how student loans work.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM

304 posts, read 782,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Asians has replaced a word that begins with "o" that was deemed inappropriate a few decades ago.

East Asians vs South Asians is probably a better way to segregate it if you are going to. China/Korea/Japan vs India/Bangladesh/Pakistan
Agree. Interesting that in the UK, Asian = South/West Asians (Indians, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc), while that "O" word (still being used there) = East/Southeast Asians (Chinese, Korean, Singaporean, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island