Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start protesting economics. I want the homes I loved in Mill Neck, Lattingtown, and Laurel Hollow to be a 200-400k less so I can afford one. It's not fair that we can't afford those areas now. I am going to erect a Yurt and sleep in it as a protest for my fellow LI'ers. Then I woke up from a dream and decided to live else where until I can afford what I really want in 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM

69 posts, read 126,155 times
Was wondering what this was on my way to the gym this morning. Was a little tent city on the corner of Washington and 11th.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
It makes sense that people would want to live in GC. It has good schools, it's convenient to shopping and transportation, and its very well maintained. It also has a business district. It's quite livable for a suburban area.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Meanwhile Hempstead has the Main Street project where actual building new apartment buildings will be done. Shouldn't the protesters be going there? I don't know of any building project planned for Garden City.

How is GC going to be made more affordable? Do the protesters expect home owners to be forced to sell their homes at below market prices?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 25,283 times
You do say know whos but I dont know and can you please say who it is? It is in neighborhoods and what happens there that there is affermative actions? It is not fair that it is there but there is also people who do need to live there? There can be peoplw that do have mental ilness and have to live somewhere so they do have homes for them in the nighborhood and it does happen in islip? Please do say if it is in islip and I do want to ask and know. If it is done by obama hpw does he do it since trump did beat him and he did have to go away and what did he do to do in and know he does work in long islands?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
It makes sense that people would want to live in GC. It has good schools, it's convenient to shopping and transportation, and its very well maintained. It also has a business district. It's quite livable for a suburban area.
Sounds nice but will those that required subsidized/free housing be able to find employment opportunities, or afford the transportation to employment (if it exits)? Can they afford to shop at the local stores or will they find the prices (which I am sure reflect the economics of GC) are not affordable?

Its not just housing costs but an entire infrastructure that will be needed. Everyone has a right to apply and live where they want but they have to be able to afford their choice

Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM

21 posts, read 25,283 times
Obama did want preople who are not americans to live there and is that what you mean and you say know whos? Please say who it is. Thank you!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godnearjesus View Post
Obama did want preople who are not americans to live there and is that what you mean and you say know whos? Please say who it is. Thank you!
People who can't afford to live there with current home prices.

I always thought that removing the ability of sellers/landlords to discriminate by race was a bad idea for ethnic minorities. When redlining and other discriminatory practices ended, every middle and upper class black family got the hell out of the ghetto and never looked back, and the ghetto is worse off for it, now consisting of mostly the lazy/addicted poor and criminals.

Meanwhile, in order to keep the scum and criminals out, real estate prices in good areas have been driven up so that poor but hardworking minorities simply cannot afford it. What rational person would mind a retired black teacher or police officer living next door? But they can't afford it. OK, it's Long Island, so bad example. But you get the idea.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Just passed the site. Looks like ghetto camping. Bunch of heifers sitting in lawn chairs with a big spread of food on a table and a Walgreens $9.99 charcoal BBQ. At least they have a porta potty so they aren't crapping on the grass!!

Maybe houses become more affordable when you actually work????

But then again they saved the cost of a campsite rental.

Last edited by NSHL10; 08-11-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Rockville Centre went straight to crap after the project housing was built there. Houses are so cheap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island