Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

If you want a system where you can go to any school, NYC is the better choice. If you despise LI's system of separate school districts, why are you looking on LI??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLINY123 View Post
Ok, I will not chime into this board again because frankly I do not see it bringing about any other views. However, affordable housing in GC is not a bad idea. For the reason that these protester DO deserve to educate there children in a good school district just like we do. I refuse to say because I work and earn more financially than the other person that they should not be exposed to the same neighborhood as me.

More so if they have to work harder than me and protest to get there. I will go ahead and throw this out !! (OMG I can only imagine the response) - It is no surprise that in this country equal rights are not displayed for everyone. In fact its proven that minorities across the board do not share in equal rights - hence forth men tend to make more financially than women.

All of this plays into the financial stability of families across the board - So if my spouse works and makes more than me than that can put us out of a certain neighborhood and our children out of a certain school district. Why not because we didn't put in our 6 years of education just like the next person but its because this country is not equal. Then we have the nerve to say we are a country build on equal rights. We show our legal system with balance scales but yet we are on a social media site speaking against people we do not know protesting to be in a neighborhood we do not live in, having access to a school system our children do not attend.

As if these children very presence in these schools is going to somehow bring these schools systems down. Also how do you know these kids are not already in your school system? Perhaps if we had more affordable housing we would not be paying counties a double mortgage for the rest of our lives trying to move "These people" out of our lives.

Long Island is a beautiful place to live - but this puts such a ugly spin on the island - and it really needs to stop!! Neither one of us - me included know anything about these people we only know what we assume. But I know if my back was against a wall and I had to fight for myself and my children to have better I would - and I cannot help but think everyone on this board would.

If you think that Nassau/Suffolk County has raised property taxes for equality purposes of the public school systems then why even dispute grievance of our property taxes? We should pay 17k-30k in taxes with no questions involved right? However this is not reality we move to high price neighborhoods to get away from "These people" and meanwhile the counties play us like a flute in the process. So when we get to retirement again we have spent all our money and we leave NYS all together. Until we get sick and realize NYS has the better programs and we need what to come back home (affordable housing). -

Rant over - Its time we wake up !!!!!
Congrats on your your brain dump of gibberish. I'd recommend trying to write a little more coherently, and certainly more concisely.

As for "equal rights", everyone has the right to pursue opportunities that will allow them a measure of financial success and access to certain privileges. "Equal rights" does not mean simply granting those privileges to everyone.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLINY123 View Post
Ok, I will not chime into this board again because frankly I do not see it bringing about any other views. However, affordable housing in GC is not a bad idea. For the reason that these protester DO deserve to educate there children in a good school district just like we do. I refuse to say because I work and earn more financially than the other person that they should not be exposed to the same neighborhood as me.

More so if they have to work harder than me and protest to get there. I will go ahead and throw this out !! (OMG I can only imagine the response) - It is no surprise that in this country equal rights are not displayed for everyone. In fact its proven that minorities across the board do not share in equal rights - hence forth men tend to make more financially than women.

All of this plays into the financial stability of families across the board - So if my spouse works and makes more than me than that can put us out of a certain neighborhood and our children out of a certain school district. Why not because we didn't put in our 6 years of education just like the next person but its because this country is not equal. Then we have the nerve to say we are a country build on equal rights. We show our legal system with balance scales but yet we are on a social media site speaking against people we do not know protesting to be in a neighborhood we do not live in, having access to a school system our children do not attend.

As if these children very presence in these schools is going to somehow bring these schools systems down. Also how do you know these kids are not already in your school system? Perhaps if we had more affordable housing we would not be paying counties a double mortgage for the rest of our lives trying to move "These people" out of our lives.

Long Island is a beautiful place to live - but this puts such a ugly spin on the island - and it really needs to stop!! Neither one of us - me included know anything about these people we only know what we assume. But I know if my back was against a wall and I had to fight for myself and my children to have better I would - and I cannot help but think everyone on this board would.

If you think that Nassau/Suffolk County has raised property taxes for equality purposes of the public school systems then why even dispute grievance of our property taxes? We should pay 17k-30k in taxes with no questions involved right? However this is not reality we move to high price neighborhoods to get away from "These people" and meanwhile the counties play us like a flute in the process. So when we get to retirement again we have spent all our money and we leave NYS all together. Until we get sick and realize NYS has the better programs and we need what to come back home (affordable housing). -

Rant over - Its time we wake up !!!!!
None of us have the right to live in an area we can not afford, not are we entitled to simply because we protest.

You discuss schools. Why not demand that the private schools take these children in, tuition waived? After all, they're entitled to it, right? Next they should march on over to the Maserati dealship and demand a taxpayer subsidized GranTurismo to replace their hoopty or bus pass.

Given that there are sub par schools on LI churning out Ivy League bound students, these protestors should take a hard look in their mirror to see where the blame for their school district lies.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:55 AM

307 posts, read 637,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
None of us have the right to live in an area we can not afford, not are we entitled to simply because we protest.

You discuss schools. Why not demand that the private schools take these children in, tuition waived? After all, they're entitled to it, right? Next they should march on over to the Maserati dealship and demand a taxpayer subsidized GranTurismo to replace their hoopty or bus pass.

Given that there are sub par schools on LI churning out Ivy League bound students, these protestors should take a hard look in their mirror to see where the blame for their school district lies.
So whats your take on affordable housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn? Tear it all down and put everyone in East New York?

Do you think keeping poor and underprivileged in poor and underprivileged areas is working? Because I sure dont.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
It's up to them to better themselves and move out. My parents did it with a high school education, no special gifts, skills, or talents, growing up in the Bronx in projects. If they can do it, anyone can. It all comes down to personal responsibility.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
So whats your take on affordable housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn? Tear it all down and put everyone in East New York?

Do you think keeping poor and underprivileged in poor and underprivileged areas is working? Because I sure dont.
What's my take on it? Affordable housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn are the result of social programs dating back to the earlier part of the last century. Housing was built for the health and social welfare of people living in unsanitary tenements. Builders did not build housing projects in the midst of established, upper income neighborhoods within NYC.

If the folks sitting on the corner in GC are protesting that they are living in unsanitary conditions (no running water/indoor plumbing, no heat, no electric) then we as a society ought to provide them with the basics. No where is it written that it should be on Park Ave, DUMBO, or Garden City.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Here's a NYCHA poster promoting planned housing in NYC ca 1936-38. Funny, in retrospect, how the bureaucrats eighty years ago thought that the projects would improve future outcomes for residents.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 AM

307 posts, read 637,520 times
^^

Thank you, yes - for helping to prove my point. Putting low income families in low income communities doesn't work anymore. Creating large housing projects doesn't work anymore. Creating limited affordable housing in communities with proper amenities may work.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
... put everyone in East New York?

Funny you should mention ENY:

Nehemiah Spring Creek - NYHC

Median Household Income in ENY is $34,512

Quote:
Community Impact:
To ensure the success and viability of the Spring Creek Developments, the City has invested over $20 million in environmental and infrastructure improvements. Nehemiah phases I, II, and III have had a profound impact on the surrounding residential communities of East New York, Brownsville and the Starrett City Housing Development, which is home to more than 12,500 working class families.

Using the substantial, grassroots clout of East Brooklyn Congregations (EBC), Nehemiah HDFC managed to develop and sell quality affordable housing units in communities where, pundits argued, no one wanted to live. Even more astonishing is the fact that these successes have withstood the test of time. Lenders now acknowledge that home loans made to purchasers of Nehemiah homes have a default rate of less than one percent. EBC’s efforts over the last 25+ years stabilized Brownsville and East New York and set the stage for the current phase of rezoning and development.
By creating housing in a rough neighborhood, those with an interest in the community (ie homeowners) have help improve this area.

Quote:
Putting low income families in low income communities works. Creating affordable housing in communities with proper amenities in East New York WORKS.
Fixed it for you.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Just wondering, neil1973, if you feel that bringing kids out of tenements and into proper housing projects doesn't work, why would it work taking them from established, albeit poor, neighborhoods an placing them in wealthy ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island