Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
For the most part Ronkonkoma is fine. .

All the issues are right by the lake. Besides the 2 welfare motels and the Bavarian Inn eye sore, you also have a halfway house on the east side of the lake next to Windows on the Lake that houses some ..eh..gritty looking teenagers/young men. I've never heard of any crime in that area, but it does look a little rough around the edges due to the aforementioned items. They should bulldoze the Inn and get rid of the motels and turn the area into an attraction again. It's the only freshwater lake on LI as far as I know.
You are correct about the area.

Actually there are a lot of freshwater lakes and ponds on LI. Lake Success is one, Wildwood Lake is another, Fresh Pond is another, a few ponds in Massapequa Park, Belmont Lake, and much much more.

Lake Ronkonkoma is the largest lake on LI though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
For the most part Ronkonkoma is fine. .

All the issues are right by the lake. Besides the 2 welfare motels and the Bavarian Inn eye sore, you also have a halfway house on the east side of the lake next to Windows on the Lake that houses some ..eh..gritty looking teenagers/young men. I've never heard of any crime in that area, but it does look a little rough around the edges due to the aforementioned items. They should bulldoze the Inn and get rid of the motels and turn the area into an attraction again. It's the only freshwater lake on LI as far as I know.

I don't think they will ever get rid of the low income housing. It's usually at 95 to 100% capacity, sometimes more if you know what I mean. The Bavarian Inn is another story. They need a good engineering company to correct the flooding issues of that property.

Overall, I'm surprised you think the Ronkonkoma area is so nice. Compared to the surrounding communities (Nesconset, Holbrook) Ronk. is a dump. It's a good feeding ground for the dealers in that low income housing.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
Does anyone know where in smithtown has flooding issues?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKING TO BUY IN SMITHTO View Post
Does anyone know where in smithtown has flooding issues?
In terms of flooding in Smithtown, I think most of the issues are in the Nesconset area.

I don't think having a basement in that area is a great idea.
I looked at beautiful house there, but they had just installed a "french drain" system. In other words, the basement floods badly, and they needed to do this to stop it. French drain sounds great, but apparently they need maintenance every 10 years or a catastrophic failure leads to a ruined basement. No thanks, I'll pass.

As you get west of the areas near Gibbs Pond, the flooding tends to become less of an issue.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
Quote:
In terms of flooding in Smithtown, I think most of the issues are in the Nesconset area.

I don't think having a basement in that area is a great idea.
I looked at beautiful house there, but they had just installed a "french drain" system. In other words, the basement floods badly, and they needed to do this to stop it. French drain sounds great, but apparently they need maintenance every 10 years or a catastrophic failure leads to a ruined basement. No thanks, I'll pass.

As you get west of the areas near Gibbs Pond, the flooding tends to become less of an issue.
I grew up in nesconset, behind the Watermill, and this is the first I've heard of flooding problems in that area.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
I believe the flooding issues are on the north side of the lake along Smithtown Boulevard, by the old Bavarian Inn. There was a house over there in the news that had flooded. I'm on the west side of the lake with no flooding whatsoever....and I have a full basement.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Default Today, on Overexaggeration Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesx100 View Post
I live 2 mins away from there, thats section 8 housing or whatever its called. And ALL of long island is getting very bad with heroin, its very common to see syringes on the floor of any and every parking lot. Crack is old news.
Any and every parking lot?

What ghetto do you live in?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Any and every parking lot?

What ghetto do you live in?

The 'waffler' hasn't been around in some time. For giggles I checked out his history.

I offer his Virgin Post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/9648964-post1.html

Quote:
I live on long island now and am surrounded by pretty bad areas and 99% of the people under 25 are addicted to heroin so I would definitly like to live in a little bit better of an area then i am now.
Followed by this revelation:
//www.city-data.com/forum/15824932-post68.html
Quote:
this is what I have to say about ronkonkoma. I live 2 miles away in nesconset. Its not white trashy but there is alot of drug related crimes, and a few stabbings
I never realized that Nesconset was surrounded by 'pretty bad areas'!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The 'waffler' hasn't been around in some time. For giggles I checked out his history.

I offer his Virgin Post:

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/9648964-post1.html[/URL]

Followed by this revelation:
[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/15824932-post68.html[/URL]

I never realized that Nesconset was surrounded by 'pretty bad areas'!

Good grief. I should remember to check posting history whenever I come across these dead threads walking.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
For anyone interested in flooding (warning: long, boring and technical... )

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/RESPOND/PDFs/Sec_5.4.8.pdf (broken link)
http://ronkonkomachamber.com/rcc/ima...08-30-2006.pdf
http://www.lakehillsronkonkoma.org/files/H2MVolume3.pdf

These are old articles some from the 80's, but because of the nature of the subject it should be applicable this day too, or could even be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island