Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 04:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Ivies take 'underperforming', 'lower performing' or 'inner city' schools into account when their vals and sals apply. The young man from William Floyd who was accepted to all 8 ivies in 2014 had an edge over the kids in Jericho, where there is a significantly higher percentage of high performing students. (This was something which was discussed during college planning sessions as littlest OBH was preparing college applications.)

You mention that some might attribute low grades to the high school, there is also an issue with grade inflation -- some schools pump up grades.
Yes this makes sense. Otherwise it’s a very uneven playing field. Obviously the kids at lower performing high schools would be at a disadvantage so colleges compensate a little for that factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 04:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Yes, I'm sure top hiring agents crawl over piles of Harvard grad resumes to get to that golden Plattsburgh gem. lmfao

Old 12-06-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Yes, I'm sure top hiring agents crawl over piles of Harvard grad resumes to get to that golden Plattsburgh gem. lmfao
Bill Gates dropped out of college, whats your point?

If I were hiring i’d actually seek out the SUNY type kids bc on paper it tells me they are responsible in regards to saving money & value that over prestige & notoriety.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
It's not necessarily cheaper to go to SUNY. I remember when my kid was applying to SUNYs, they were much more expensive than the Ivy schools. Much. The fancy schmancy private schools have huge endowments and some offer grants instead of loans.

There are some employers like consulting firms that only hire Ivy League grads. Top law firms work that way too. In the arts world, who you know and where/who you studied with matters too.

I only wish that I had the education that my kid had. Great networking with other students from all over the world, abundant opportunities for travel to conferences, amazing internship opportunities from having connections, state of the art equipment for the arts and science labs, nobel and McArthur winners who mentor students. The kid graduated with minimal debt that was paid off in a year. My kid spent one summer at SUNY Stony Brook to get a few introductory classes out of the way. What a difference! The students had to share lab equipment, it was adequate but still outdated, and they didn't have enough lab stools for the entire class so some students each class had to stand. That was culture shock for my kid, but it was a good experience to see how most colleges operate. Glad that SUNY Oneonta worked out for some, but if you have the brains and have the opportunity and it's actually cheaper than SUNY, then it's a no brainer. I agree that it's probably not worth a second mortgage on your house for a top 10 school, but unless you are already very affluent, it's not going to cost that much. The alumni become part of a "private club" that gets you entrance into places that us schlubs who went to "regular" schools never get to see.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's not necessarily cheaper to go to SUNY. I remember when my kid was applying to SUNYs, they were much more expensive than the Ivy schools. Much. The fancy schmancy private schools have huge endowments and some offer grants instead of loans.

There are some employers like consulting firms that only hire Ivy League grads. Top law firms work that way too. In the arts world, who you know and where/who you studied with matters too.

I only wish that I had the education that my kid had. Great networking with other students from all over the world, abundant opportunities for travel to conferences, amazing internship opportunities from having connections, state of the art equipment for the arts and science labs, nobel and McArthur winners who mentor students. The kid graduated with minimal debt that was paid off in a year. My kid spent one summer at SUNY Stony Brook to get a few introductory classes out of the way. What a difference! The students had to share lab equipment, it was adequate but still outdated, and they didn't have enough lab stools for the entire class so some students each class had to stand. That was culture shock for my kid, but it was a good experience to see how most colleges operate. Glad that SUNY Oneonta worked out for some, but if you have the brains and have the opportunity and it's actually cheaper than SUNY, then it's a no brainer. I agree that it's probably not worth a second mortgage on your house for a top 10 school, but unless you are already very affluent, it's not going to cost that much. The alumni become part of a "private club" that gets you entrance into places that us schlubs who went to "regular" schools never get to see.
But not everyone gets a grant or aid. In that case how is a private school cheaper? NYS residents also get in-state discounts @ SUNY

Old 12-06-2019, 08:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Bill Gates dropped out of college, whats your point?

If I were hiring i’d actually seek out the SUNY type kids bc on paper it tells me they are responsible in regards to saving money & value that over prestige & notoriety.
He dropped out of HARVARD to start his business. Not Plattsburgh.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
HotKarl is right. My mother's boss is a rich, Jewish doctor who lives in the Jericho school district. One of her sons is not that bright and gets frustrated easily. He hated math and was failing it. He walked out of the classroom in the middle of the math regents test and told the teachers he refused to take it. The next day my mother's boss showed up at the school to tell them how rich and powerful she was and they let him take the math regents test all by himself in a classroom with a teacher that "looked the other way" while he pulled out his math textbook and found most of the answers on his cell phone. He got a 100 on that test. They aren't letting the kids in Hempstead do that.
That's pretty extreme. I'm sure that does happen, but mostly it's just a little nudging along to help certain students at least pass in general, or with others, move them up that grade point. They not only need high graduation rates but having a long honor list certainly helps too. Whatever it takes to keep that rank as high as possible.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
He dropped out of HARVARD to start his business. Not Plattsburgh.
Yes but the point is look how successful he was without even a degree so where u or even if you go to school doesnt matter all that much

Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
But not everyone gets a grant or aid. In that case how is a private school cheaper? NYS residents also get in-state discounts @ SUNY
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri.../#4ae3e5602b5f

https://admission.princeton.edu/cost-aid

I'm not saying that all private schools are cheaper than a SUNY school. Schools within the top 15 national university ranking are often cheaper because they have huge endowments. SUNY schools don't have the money to subsidize as many students as the Ivy league schools. When my kid got accepted to Binghampton, it would have cost more than some of the Ivy schools that offered admission. Out of pocket expenses from attending Yale that year would have been less than in-state tuition at Binghampton (including their offer of financial aid), but my kid turned them down because there was a better offer from another Ivy. Full disclosure, my kid got an offer for a full ride at Buffalo (some sort of honors program) and a better ranked out of state public school (another honors program), but turned them down because it seemed worth it to shell out 4k per year for the Ivy experience. This was before the Excelsior program. My kid was one of those kids in the valedictorian section of Newsday. But it wasn't just grades - perfect SATs, winner of several national academic competitions (courtesy of the high school participating in those programs), awards in the arts, etc.

The problem is that the northeast has hundreds if not thousands of overachievers. The elite schools cannot accept everyone. They have quotas per each high school. Otherwise the top 100 students from Jericho HS would all end up at Princeton.

Last edited by Coney; 12-07-2019 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Yes but the point is look how successful he was without even a degree so where u or even if you go to school doesnt matter all that much
For every Gates or Zuckerberg there are likely hundreds who drop out who don’t achieve even a fraction of their accomplishments. They are outliers.

If you want a Wall St job in finance, consulting or something similar, an Ivy degree makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island