Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

My home was closed in March of 2013. The next door neighbor closed on her home 3 weeks ago. Our homes were essentially
identical with mine having a breakfast room addition that they did not and we had a finished basement. They had a homemade finished basement our was professionally done. Both served the same purpose but ours was more "finished" looking with chair rails, wainscoting and high hats, theirs was ceiling fixtures and plater board, both carpeted. There was $168K difference. Both updated kitchen and baths within 2 years of each other. Hot market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My home was closed in March of 2013. The next door neighbor closed on her home 3 weeks ago. Our homes were essentially
identical with mine having a breakfast room addition that they did not and we had a finished basement. They had a homemade finished basement our was professionally done. Both served the same purpose but ours was more "finished" looking with chair rails, wainscoting and high hats, theirs was ceiling fixtures and plater board, both carpeted. There was $168K difference. Both updated kitchen and baths within 2 years of each other. Hot market.
I’m assuming in Nassau? I haven’t seen this kind of price increase in mid-Suffolk.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’m assuming in Nassau? I haven’t seen this kind of price increase in mid-Suffolk.
Definitely Nassau, as they pour in from Queens and Brooklyn in search of cheaper homes. A month of rent in the city could easily cover a mortgage payment here.

My house in NC appreciated at least $40K since last year.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:

Yes. To be fair, I probably could have gotten a little more (5K - 8K) but we already had closed on our home here and a little more would have meant more $$ to the broker and more $$ lost in not living here and paying for it.
We had two interested and went with the first one that came back. Our house was move in ready and immaculate. The broker said on the walk through they could not believe how clean the whole house was.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
I'm one of those city transplants thats driving up your real estate value. And my asian kids will raise your SAT average also. You're welcome.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Folks with young kids moving from the city to the suburbs is not a new trend. Just as retirees leaving for cheaper and warmer areas is not a new trend either.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
likely not gonna happen in flyover country. Maybe western suffolk gets a nice bump (west of the Sagtikos)?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:06 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Wonderful news, since after years of complaining here on CD, I'm finally going to sell my lovely place on Long Island. Just a few more months of Wrong Island's bagels, pizza bad roads and beautiful beaches.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 AM

20 posts, read 29,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
For the $9.5k/year we're paying in school taxes alone, sorry I don't want my kids' classrooms being inundated with 10-15 more students this year. They start with like 22 and end up with 25 as it is. You ever see the chaos at 25 already?

I'm all for modernization and development (I want to see progress for my tax dollars too), but I'd easily rather more retail, services, and parks than housing. Keeping our home prices up is a bonus.
It's the not in my backyard mentality that makes Long Island a joke. Don't expect your home prices to stay up and your taxes to go down without new multi family developments brining in more tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island