Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Having been involved with the preparedness and relief effort of Sandy. I was wondering if you had any GOOD advice on how to deal with what lies ahead for people of Texas. Dealing with insurance, FEMA etc. I was thinking of linking this thread to the texas forum once people weigh in.

As an emergency preparedness person, I was pleased to see the number of folks that evacuated the area with only a voluntary order. I am still amazed at the number that remained, but that is another story for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Having access to the names/contact information of a few public adjusters would be a good idea IMHO. Many insurance companies are most likely going to be very stingy with any allowable expenses.
Happened to me with Sandy...

Old 08-27-2017, 05:24 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Move.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Having access to the names/contact information of a few public adjusters would be a good idea IMHO. Many insurance companies are most likely going to be very stingy with any allowable expenses.
Happened to me with Sandy...
Absolutely, that saved some folks who were waiting for adjusters for weeks after the storm hit. I will post my own list based up both experience as a worker and my own home.

What people fail to understand is that on Long Island we have overhead power lines. While I no longer live on LI at the time of Sandy, I did. We lost power for 14 days and I lived near Mineola, no water within a few miles. Then to complicate my personal situation, the neighbor had refused to follow the advice of the tree trimmer she hired and did not want to cut a limb of a 40 foot tree in her yard. I was standing there as she argued with him to leave that limb and didn't get it as she hired a very well known and respected tree service company and then argued with the very advice she hired. Well that turned out to impact me as the limb pulled the supply line out of the side of my house. I needed to have the tie in on my house reinstalled before they could return me to live. IF not for a friend who was inundated but sent a crew over it might have been longer.

The above is all to say that on LI the flooding is a problem for certain, but the ancillary services that we rely upon for everyday life can/will create havoc for many more. The problem is the highest concentration of workers will be in the most effected areas and you might have to wait for services.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Move.
Move to higher ground. The storm/flooding events will only get worse in coming years, whether or not you believe in global warming. Nature does not care about your beliefs.

Sandy was a "once in 500 years storm," and Harvey is a "once in 700 years storm." Interesting how they both beat the odds.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Suburban Detroit is wonderful. If you've got a decent job metro Detroit is a great place to be. Downtown Detroit is booming, too.

Absolutely. Will be there again in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:02 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Umm no, I'd take Grosse Pointe and Bloomfield Hills in Detroit over Long Island any day, except for the cold snowy weather.
I had to be cliche...it was too easy.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I had to be cliche...it was too easy.
Are you sure that you are the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM

307 posts, read 637,281 times
Advice: vote out all your congressman (except for one) and senators that voted against Sandy relief bill.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
I have a feeling that the residents of the Texas Gulf Coast are far more familiar with these type of weather events than you give them credit. And from what I have seen this time they are rewriting the book on how to do it as a civilized society unlike their neighbor to the east did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: