Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM

4,157 posts, read 4,005,927 times

Advertisements

Specifically I'm referring to the additional traffic and lack of parking when hundreds of people descend on the mosque on Hillside Avenue near the Queens/Nassau border for a holy day like today. I have no problem with a mosque or any religious building but the mosque doesn't have any parking and the surrounding area does not enough street parking to accommodate so many mosque visitors. How did the town approve this mosque without regard to how hundreds of additional cars affect the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,210,120 times
What about the Catholic churches that clog up their streets every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for several weddings daily?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Specifically I'm referring to the additional traffic and lack of parking when hundreds of people descend on the mosque on Hillside Avenue near the Queens/Nassau border for a holy day like today. I have no problem with a mosque or any religious building but the mosque doesn't have any parking and the surrounding area does not enough street parking to accommodate so many mosque visitors. How did the town approve this mosque without regard to how hundreds of additional cars affect the community?
There is a mandatory number of spaces that have to allocated for parking and after that.....the sky is the limit. As to the street parking unless there is a sign that prevents it, it is perfectly acceptable to park there, which may be an annoyance to the residents but it is legal. In my former neighborhood, there were signs that you could not park close to the train station.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM

731 posts, read 717,032 times
Why? Easy...fear.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:13 PM

2,577 posts, read 3,360,669 times
OP how many times during the year do you see this parking situation? Three, four maybe? Is this that big of a deal?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
OP how many times during the year do you see this parking situation? Three, four maybe? Is this that big of a deal?
The mosque just opened a few months ago so I can't say how often this will be an issue as I am not familiar with Muslim holy days. It's a big deal if you live in the area or shop in the area and have to deal with the traffic, cars double parking and cars parked in places like the CVS parking lot.

I find it interesting that you think it's no big deal when in another thread you wrote this:
Quote:
Don't move to Long Island! There are enough people in Nassau county. It's a congested mess. Move to Connecticut.
So you tell me it's no big deal to have hundreds of additional cars in a small area but you tell others not to move to Long Island because it's a congested mess? Your opinion seems to change depending on the topic.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:38 PM

731 posts, read 717,032 times
There's a mosque just north of the 2nd precinct in Huntington and they park all over the neighborhoods blocking people's driveways.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 PM

23 posts, read 33,263 times
Most Churches andSynagogues in Nassau have some type of a parking lot. Some bought properties nearby just for that purpose. Plus I don't see that many on main roads, at least not in the neighborhoods I've lived. Any organization (especially religious) that wants to be part of a community should respect its local residents.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM

2,577 posts, read 3,360,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The mosque just opened a few months ago so I can't say how often this will be an issue as I am not familiar with Muslim holy days. It's a big deal if you live in the area or shop in the area and have to deal with the traffic, cars double parking and cars parked in places like the CVS parking lot.

I find it interesting that you think it's no big deal when in another thread you wrote this:

So you tell me it's no big deal to have hundreds of additional cars in a small area but you tell others not to move to Long Island because it's a congested mess? Your opinion seems to change depending on the topic.
Yeah, I'm discouraging more people to not move here. Yes it is crowded here in Nassau. By more people moving here it causes a permanent wave of extra traffic. But this is different. It's just a place of worship that is used seldom. Every weekend the Church by me blocks off the entire block and causes a lot of traffic. So do Synagogues and other houses of worship. If people can deal with other religious groups causing traffic then they should be allowed to as well, unless they are up to no good.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Yeah, I'm discouraging more people to not move here. Yes it is crowded here in Nassau. By more people moving here it causes a permanent wave of extra traffic. But this is different. It's just a place of worship that is used seldom. Every weekend the Church by me blocks off the entire block and causes a lot of traffic. So do Synagogues and other houses of worship. If people can deal with other religious groups causing traffic then they should be allowed to as well, unless they are up to no good.
The difference is that churches have multiple services on Sundays and Holy Days. If a church has 800 churchgoers on a Sunday they don't all arrive for a single 10 am Mass. There's usually four or five Masses during the day depending on the size of the parish. I'm not familiar with mosque practices but it seemed like everyone arrived at the same time for the holy day prayer service. Imagine if a Catholic Church had one Mass on Christmas or Easter. The neighborhood would be overwhelmed especially if the church was recently built in an already crowded commercial and residential area like this mosque.

The Facebook page for the mosque has photos of yesterday's services. Apparently there is an open lot in back of the mosque but it wasn't used for parking, instead the worshippers were praying outside in the lot. So essentially the mosque doesn't seem to have any parking of its own. If it turns out to only be a once or twice a year issue I agree it's not a big deal but more than that it would be a major inconvenience for the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island