Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,884 times

Advertisements

I've heard there are plans to "redevelop the 17-acre former military base on Maple Avenue, once known as the Bellmore Logistics Activity facility." The plans are said to include single-family homes, affordable senior housing and a community center.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a home in that vicinity. We're not sure how these new plans will affect the value of our future house. I actually think it'll improve the look of the neighborhood, since the land is pretty much vacant right now except for the surrounding houses. My husband seems to think that rezoning the land for parkgrounds would have been a better idea. However, we are both concern about the anticipated construction noice and increased traffic as a result of these new development plans.

I'm curious to know what others think, especially those who live in N. Bellmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
It will take 10 years to develop on that property. I would not factor that into my purchasing unless the house adjoins the property......good luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with North Bellmore

For those who may not be familiar with North Bellmore:

Previously known as Smithville South, North Bellmore is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the east-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central-south part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North Bellmore in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the east by the Hamlet of North Wantagh and the Hamlet of Wantagh; on the south by the Hamlet of Bellmore; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Merrick.

North Bellmore is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Bellmore have a "Bellmore, NY 11710", "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Not sure what the current plans are but I went to Elementry School by there, Saw mill road school. They closed the army base back then and I've heard the redevelopment plan since I was in high school. I'm in my late 20s now and they haven't broken ground.

I'm with KB, I doubt anything is happening soon, unless someone has some more concrete info, and I would guess ti would only help values, once the construction was somewhat done.

I kick myself, when I was towards the end of college I looked at a house that was right there, a split 2 houses from the base that was priced at $220K. I should have bought it, I paid $110K more for a smaller house a few years later.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Not sure what the current plans are but I went to Elementry School by there, Saw mill road school. They closed the army base back then and I've heard the redevelopment plan since I was in high school. I'm in my late 20s now and they haven't broken ground.

I'm with KB, I doubt anything is happening soon, unless someone has some more concrete info, and I would guess ti would only help values, once the construction was somewhat done.

I kick myself, when I was towards the end of college I looked at a house that was right there, a split 2 houses from the base that was priced at $220K. I should have bought it, I paid $110K more for a smaller house a few years later.
Hey I went to Saw Mill Road........small world!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkay View Post
I've heard there are plans to "redevelop the 17-acre former military base on Maple Avenue, once known as the Bellmore Logistics Activity facility." The plans are said to include single-family homes, affordable senior housing and a community center.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a home in that vicinity. We're not sure how these new plans will affect the value of our future house. I actually think it'll improve the look of the neighborhood, since the land is pretty much vacant right now except for the surrounding houses. My husband seems to think that rezoning the land for parkgrounds would have been a better idea. However, we are both concern about the anticipated construction noice and increased traffic as a result of these new development plans.

I'm curious to know what others think, especially those who live in N. Bellmore.
I don't live too far from there, I remember riding my bike to the base and exploring the buildings after it had closed down. I drove by not too long ago and saw a lot of construction equipment, thought they had started building already. The last I heard was senior housing....but I'm with the others, and it will specifically take so long because they need to clean up toxic materials that were spilled or buried in the ground sometime during the 70s. I don't think it's anything that effects the surrounding areas, and only a minor spill, but I'm pretty sure that's why the property took so long to get sold. It had been closed since 1996....

This is what it looked like before it was vacant land, from what I read they did maintenance here on the NIKE missile equipment which was installed at various locations throughout Long Island.
http://www.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/12/82/58_big.jpg (broken link)

Do you North Bellmore guys know anything about the spill? I tried Google-ing it right now and couldn't find anything...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
I guess my timeline is off on the base closing if it closed in 96. I was in high school then.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
sorry to dig up an old thread again...I grew up in bellmore and went to saw mill as well. Army base was literally in my backyard...seperated by a fence, of course. It was creepy looking out my window @ night and see it. To this day, creeps me out.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM

66 posts, read 232,592 times
I live down the block from the "Army Base". It is leveled now with giant piles of dirt throughout. The original plan submitted by the builder was supposed to have a certain amount of units designated for seniors and a certain amount for low income. there as to be a central community center for the people living there. When they went to build and the town and north bellmore civic assoc. got a look at the plans they were totally different. They lsot approval and everything stopped. What people are worried about is the streets that dead end to the property. are they going to try and reopen? Will it have one central entrance? I am glad I am moving in the next month or so away from this.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
I live down the block from the "Army Base". It is leveled now with giant piles of dirt throughout. The original plan submitted by the builder was supposed to have a certain amount of units designated for seniors and a certain amount for low income. there as to be a central community center for the people living there. When they went to build and the town and north bellmore civic assoc. got a look at the plans they were totally different. They lsot approval and everything stopped. What people are worried about is the streets that dead end to the property. are they going to try and reopen? Will it have one central entrance? I am glad I am moving in the next month or so away from this.
I lived on a dead-end street right there...I mean I don't know if they can essentially just "open up a dead-end"...are they supposed to knock down the houses that are already there? I don't think they really need senior housing though- there is already that big place on Bellmore ave that houses them. Most of the Bellmore residents were opposed to the low-income homes. I don't mind seniors, but it seems like since we already have a sneior home center, wouldn't it be beneficial to make somethign else? Why not just regular single-family middle-class homes. I moved away, last year, but my parents are sister are still around. Do you think they are going to ever do anything about it? Seems silly to have it just take up space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island