Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Are these prices realistic?

Just called Petro as a 8 year continuing customer and got a price of 3.57 with ceiling and $100. maintenance contract.

Tragar - 3.09 fixed, 3.19 cap

Maintenance $279.00 All parts and labor
Petro will never take care of you as a returning customer. Look elsewhere and go back in a year or two if you need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 PM

67 posts, read 61,823 times
If its not asking too much, could everyone tell how much oil they burn and what theyre living arragement is like? ie: always home, 2 kids, keeps heat way up ect. ect.

just bought a house and i already know what my energy needs will be but i kind of want to compare to what other people have for my own piece of mind.

I have Oil heat and hot water and NG for cooking and dryers

single person, no pets or kids... so i already know my energy usage will be minimal.

lets hear it folks!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
I'd already put mine on the previous page (#15) but you also need to remember that your "burn rate" will also depend on the equipment you have. My usage info was based on a 55-year-old single-pass pin-type boiler and a burner that was probably 15 or 20 years old (or more; no idea which previous owner installed the burner.) Yes the burner was a Beckett and it was tuned as well as could be expected for a burner that old, but still...

The new(er) three-pass sectional boilers are more efficient than the oldies which are still in many houses. It also matters how well the system is maintained. A boiler that's never or rarely cleaned is going to be less efficient than one that is well kept. The new sectional-type boilers are easier to clean too. I suspect that many oil company service techs probably give many of the old pin-type boilers the equivalent of "a lick and a promise." Let's face it: They are working for a company whose raison d'etre is to sell people more oil, you know?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:04 PM

411 posts, read 288,904 times
I just had my boiler tuneup today, by my new company today.

I go down to the basement, and the guy removed all of the old service tags from my previous company...dating back to 2012. Would that bother you? I'm not sure if I actually kept the receipts....those tags may be the only records I had. I have a very old system but it runs well, and if I ever sold the house I thought it would be good to be able to show that it was regularly serviced and always tested well. Seems kind of petty/strange to me.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Nope, new customer and the start of new tags.
They always take off the old ones. They really are not needed.

Also regular service really don’t mean anything. You could have service done and a pump fail the next day.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:39 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSSVERD View Post
If its not asking too much, could everyone tell how much oil they burn and what theyre living arragement is like? ie: always home, 2 kids, keeps heat way up ect. ect.

just bought a house and i already know what my energy needs will be but i kind of want to compare to what other people have for my own piece of mind.

I have Oil heat and hot water and NG for cooking and dryers

single person, no pets or kids... so i already know my energy usage will be minimal.

lets hear it folks!
1970s 1700 sq ft, two stories, old Weil-mcclain cast iron pig of a burner. last season when it was super cold I filled three times IIRC... October/november, February, and march/April? Sitting at 1/4 tank still from the last fill. heat goes to 68 when we're home and 62 during the day and at night. two zones, run by ecobee stats. just my wife and the dog. 275 gallon tank.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Also regular service really don’t mean anything. You could have service done and a pump fail the next day.
I both agree and respectfully disagree with this, depending on how it is meant. :-)

Agree in the sense that you can have a component failure at any time, even if a system was "babysat" even above and beyond the usual. The circulator pump could fail, the pressure regulator or gauge could go wonky, etc. Just like a person could walk out of an annual physical with "four stars" and have a heart attack halfway down the street. So absolutely yes, in terms of what a prospective buyer may have to deal with, past servicing is no indicator; what matters is the condition of the system when the house is being sold.

Respectfully disagree, though, because regular service does help the current owner get the best performance out of the equipment. You'll burn oil less efficiently if the burner's feed nozzle is gunked up, is the wrong size, or the flame isn't adjusted optimally. A dirty filter cuts down on the pressure and thus the oil flow into the burner (most setups are gravity fed but if not, an overhead feed with a tiger loop can be a fussy beast sometimes). And as mentioned before, if the inside of a boiler and/or the flue pipe are allowed to get coated with a layer of soot and rust -- and they will -- it not only cuts down on efficiency but can be dangerous as well.

But if you meant that regular service doesn't mean anything to a prospective buyer, definitely agree.

I do keep service records on my heating system if there was anything out of the ordinary done (other than a routine cleaning and tuneup.) Also on my car(s). But those are for my own reference.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 PM

401 posts, read 944,346 times
I have been a Swezey customer for about 4 years. I felt my price kept going up because I never felt the need to shop around. I called Petro. They gave me a price of 2.79 first delivery. Second delivery 3.09 but a ceiling price of 3.259. Service agreement was about 20.00 with $100 credit. I was just about ready to sign, but I wanted to research more. I looked at the reviews and changed my mind. Too many negative reviews on too many sites. I called Swezey and expressed discontent because my prices keep going up year after year however new customers were offered lower prices. They offered a fixed price of 3.09 and 129.00 service contract. I'm still deciding on the service contract. Have no idea if I got the best price, but I don't want to make an agreement with a company that may or may not deliver.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 AM

31 posts, read 19,233 times
$2.89 Tragar signed last month. Platinum service plan around $400. Great customer service. Highly recommended.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockym1 View Post
$2.89 Tragar signed last month. Platinum service plan around $400. Great customer service. Highly recommended.
Dang that service plan is expensive, regardless of being the "platinum" plan.

I had the top plan with Meenan which covered pretty much everything for only $130...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island