Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,178 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions and facts about why the Sound Beach area of Long Island seems to be very low-priced, both mortgage and taxes look fairly reasonable. I grew up on Long Island but moved out of state a few years ago for work. I'm now in a position where I can move back to be closer to family and am in the market for a new home.

It's just me and my fiancé, we are not looking to have children in the near future, so this will really be a starter home that we may put a few years into until we are ready to start expanding our family. In addition, our jobs are home-based, which gives us options not being tied down to one location for work.

I'm not overly familiar with Sound Beach, more so the surrounding towns such as Rocky Point/Miller Place. From my understanding, these three towns share a school district? I've heard good things about the general area, and spent a lot of time in Rocky Point when I worked there part-time while attending college at SBU. I know all areas have the good and the bad. But anytime I see well-maintained houses on LI going for $250-$300k, I question the area. This is what I'm coming across in Sound Beach, with taxes that seem to be consistently around the $7,000k range (more or less, depending on property, etc.). Pointing out that the homes we are looking at are small (2bd/2bath), with small yards, but again, well-maintained and some with brand new renovations.

Realistically, our combined income could allow us to afford a home in the $400k range, but we're limiting our search to stick around the $300-$350k range so we can save for our forever home. These small homes in Sound Beach would be ideal for what we are looking for right now; however, we are still out of state and have not been able to get out and explore.

Can anyone tell me... what am I missing about Sound Beach? Are there areas that I should be avoiding? Is there a reason why I'm seeing such affordable home prices comparative to nearby areas?

Other suggestions welcomed. Keeping the search in Suffolk County, not to exceed $350k but prefer less than this. Open to townhomes. Small homes 2bd/2bath, small yards. School districts NOT a priority right now, but still want to be in a safe neighborhood with low crime rates.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Bikers 'n Bungalows

Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Go further east. Eastport, Manorville, Wading River, Ridge, Riverhead SD zoned Baiting Hollow...

It's a madhouse out here right now, but if you work from home with that budget there's zero reason not to. Then head east to mattituck-cutchogue or SWR when you have kids. Eastport schools aren't bad either.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily89 View Post
I'm looking for opinions and facts about why the Sound Beach area of Long Island seems to be very low-priced, both mortgage and taxes look fairly reasonable. I grew up on Long Island but moved out of state a few years ago for work. I'm now in a position where I can move back to be closer to family and am in the market for a new home.

It's just me and my fiancé, we are not looking to have children in the near future, so this will really be a starter home that we may put a few years into until we are ready to start expanding our family. In addition, our jobs are home-based, which gives us options not being tied down to one location for work.

I'm not overly familiar with Sound Beach, more so the surrounding towns such as Rocky Point/Miller Place. From my understanding, these three towns share a school district? I've heard good things about the general area, and spent a lot of time in Rocky Point when I worked there part-time while attending college at SBU. I know all areas have the good and the bad. But anytime I see well-maintained houses on LI going for $250-$300k, I question the area. This is what I'm coming across in Sound Beach, with taxes that seem to be consistently around the $7,000k range (more or less, depending on property, etc.). Pointing out that the homes we are looking at are small (2bd/2bath), with small yards, but again, well-maintained and some with brand new renovations.

Realistically, our combined income could allow us to afford a home in the $400k range, but we're limiting our search to stick around the $300-$350k range so we can save for our forever home. These small homes in Sound Beach would be ideal for what we are looking for right now; however, we are still out of state and have not been able to get out and explore.

Can anyone tell me... what am I missing about Sound Beach? Are there areas that I should be avoiding? Is there a reason why I'm seeing such affordable home prices comparative to nearby areas?

Other suggestions welcomed. Keeping the search in Suffolk County, not to exceed $350k but prefer less than this. Open to townhomes. Small homes 2bd/2bath, small yards. School districts NOT a priority right now, but still want to be in a safe neighborhood with low crime rates.

Thanks so much!!!
Part of Sound Beach attends Miller Place schools while the rest head to Rocky Point.

Either school district is OK if you're looking long term.

Sound Beach can be spotty, but the people I do know who live there (3 different homes, no children) are happy.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Go further east. Eastport, Manorville, Wading River, Ridge, Riverhead SD zoned Baiting Hollow...

It's a madhouse out here right now, but if you work from home with that budget there's zero reason not to. Then head east to mattituck-cutchogue or SWR when you have kids. Eastport schools aren't bad either.
SWR taxes have gone up precipitously. They're no longer on LIPA's teat.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily89 View Post
I would advise you to forget about buying a cheaper "starter" house and just sock away as much money as you can and make the "forever" home your first home purchase.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 PM

155 posts, read 174,257 times
It's not very convenient, lots of bungalows, and nothing really going on. But it's not dangerous or anything. It's a good option if you're looking for a less expensive area.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post

Thank you! These are all areas that have crossed my mind so I appreciate this recommendation.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Summer View Post
It's not very convenient, lots of bungalows, and nothing really going on. But it's not dangerous or anything. It's a good option if you're looking for a less expensive area.
Thanks! I'm actually okay with not having a lot going on. It's close enough to Port Jef where I could escape to more of an "upbeat" neighborhood if needed. But anywhere I'm going to go to visit friends/family would be within a half hour driving distance. Glad to know that it is generally a safe area. Appreciate your feedback.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I would advise you to forget about buying a cheaper "starter" house and just sock away as much money as you can and make the "forever" home your first home purchase.
That's definitely not an option that is off the table. We've thought about looking in our desirable long-term areas for homes that might need a little bit more TLC to stay within our price range, and just making it into our own over time. There are a lot of benefits to that for sure. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island