Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,412 times

Advertisements

Hi, can someone with knowledge advice what could happen if I put up a shed (8x14) that is 12 sqft larger then the max 100 sqft? I ordered one from costco when it was on sale and started putting it together on a cement slab. my neighbor told me the shed is not to code for town of oyster bay. I looked up and there it was, 100 sqft or less do not require permit. So what now? can someone share your thoughts on this? will it increase my property tax? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 03:27 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Tell your neighbor to eff off and mind his own business. The best thing to do when you are putting up these sheds is to put them in a spot that's not too visible. A couple of extra sq ft isn't going to raise your taxes. Just put it up and don't talk about it.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:42 PM

397 posts, read 515,336 times
Seriously... tell the neighbor thanks for the info and you're going to install it anyway. Tell them if you happen to get a visit from a code official, you're going to make their life F'n miserable.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Guys, thanks for the support. My neighbor is cool, he is actually the only neighbor we really talk to. He came over to see how I was doing with the shed and noticed it was bigger then it should. So he was only saying so I'm aware of it at least.

That said, will I have problem with it when it comes time to sell? What does it cost to get a permit anyway? I mean, if it is just some insignificant amount of money and some paper work I support I could just file it? Like to hear from someone who has or know someone has gone through with it. Again, really appreciate the reply.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
You do not want those money hungry bastards from town hall stepping foot on your property. It's 12 sq ft no one will ever know.

Vote them all out in November.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
If it’s not fully visible from the sky due to trees, etc. that’s great (drone or Google won’t see it). If it’s 8 feet wide and that’s what would be seen from or nearest the road that’s also good.

And agree with others - say nothing and DO NOT let anyone on your property. They find a shed not up to code then they will claim to see something through your window in your house and demand an inspection inside too.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
Guys, thanks for the support. My neighbor is cool, he is actually the only neighbor we really talk to. He came over to see how I was doing with the shed and noticed it was bigger then it should. So he was only saying so I'm aware of it at least.

That said, will I have problem with it when it comes time to sell? What does it cost to get a permit anyway? I mean, if it is just some insignificant amount of money and some paper work I support I could just file it? Like to hear from someone who has or know someone has gone through with it. Again, really appreciate the reply.
When it comes time to sell either you leave it as is or tear down the shed. Banks won’t care about a shed.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If it’s not fully visible from the sky due to trees, etc. that’s great (drone or Google won’t see it). If it’s 8 feet wide and that’s what would be seen from or nearest the road that’s also good.

And agree with others - say nothing and DO NOT let anyone on your property. They find a shed not up to code then they will claim to see something through your window in your house and demand an inspection inside too.
yah, it's actually 14 feet long where you can see it from the driveway and only one side has a big tree. I'm inside a cul-de-sac so hopefully that helps.

really don't think my surrounding neighbors would say anything. finger crossed.

thanks for the replies.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Start thinking about what you will do with it once they demand you take it down. They will see $$$$$ and make you remove it.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 AM

397 posts, read 515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Start thinking about what you will do with it once they demand you take it down. They will see $$$$$ and make you remove it.

Not likely... If an ******* inspector makes an issue out of it one day, you'd have to pay for a permit which likely comes with penalty fees and lots of wasted time.
Also if you assemble it too close to a property line, you may have to file for a variance.
There's little reason for the town to make you actually remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island