Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM

323 posts, read 940,978 times

Advertisements

Thanks, appreciate the insight. I guess for me it would ultimately come down to how safe I felt in something like this if I decided it was ultimately worth it. I wouldn't live someplace dangerous or completely depressing for the sake of saving a a few hundred bucks a month.

Assuming I DID find one that had multiple points of egress, had other attributes like a garage I deemed important, etc. how are these arrangements usually made?

Are they completely hush hush to the point where having my mailing address there would be frowned upon?

Do they ever have any kind of actual lease agreement that could hold any water?

If I got in a dispute with the landlord/home owner do I have any tenant rights at all? i.e. not having my stuff thrown out on the curb without 30 days notice if they decided to evict me?

Again I'm just trying to evaluate personal or financial risk here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I guess for me it would ultimately come down to how safe I felt in something like this if I decided it was ultimately worth it. I wouldn't live someplace dangerous or completely depressing for the sake of saving a a few hundred bucks a month.

Assuming I DID find one that had multiple points of egress, had other attributes like a garage I deemed important, etc. how are these arrangements usually made?

Are they completely hush hush to the point where having my mailing address there would be frowned upon?

Do they ever have any kind of actual lease agreement that could hold any water?

If I got in a dispute with the landlord/home owner do I have any tenant rights at all? i.e. not having my stuff thrown out on the curb without 30 days notice if they decided to evict me?

Again I'm just trying to evaluate personal or financial risk here.
I can not offer any advice on the lease/legalities.

If you were to find a place that ticks off the boxes, but it wasn't legal, some owners prefer that you have a PO Box, or receive your mail at a storefront like Mail Boxes etc of the UPS store.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM

323 posts, read 940,978 times
Hi folks,

So I'm awaiting a call from the HR person to schedule a flight out to Hauppauge for Wed. or Thursday to do an interview.

I should be getting a rental and if I have time before or after the interview to drive around I'd like to "get the lay of the land" and see the area and get a feel for what it's like there.

I've already been suggested Commack and King's Park for places to live.

If you had to recommend a good route for going on a drive to see what the area is like where would you suggest I go?

Any suggestions for major roads to drive, central shopping districts, downtowns, etc. would be greatly helpful.

Also, please let me know of any areas I absolutely want to AVOID!

Old 11-13-2017, 11:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
If you're flying into Islip then you can easily drive from the airport to Hauppauge. That alone will give you a bit of a feel. If you're flying into LaGuardia or JFK you definitely will need a car and plan on 90 minutes to make the drive.

Depending on how much time you have, definitely drive through Commack and up to Kings Park. From there you can head east into Smithtown or west into the Northport area.

If you are looking close to the north shore make sure you do a little drive both on the LIE (Long Island Expressway, i.e. 495) and on the Northern Parkway.

Aside from malls there aren't that many "central shopping districts" in the area you'd be in. At least not ones that would be considered major by most people. There's a lot of sprawl.

Areas to avoid? Brentwood, Central Islip are two.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you're flying into Islip then you can easily drive from the airport to Hauppauge. That alone will give you a bit of a feel. If you're flying into LaGuardia or JFK you definitely will need a car and plan on 90 minutes to make the drive.

Depending on how much time you have, definitely drive through Commack and up to Kings Park. From there you can head east into Smithtown or west into the Northport area.

If you are looking close to the north shore make sure you do a little drive both on the LIE (Long Island Expressway, i.e. 495) and on the Northern Parkway.

Aside from malls there aren't that many "central shopping districts" in the area you'd be in. At least not ones that would be considered major by most people. There's a lot of sprawl.

If you have time, check out the following downtown areas: Babylon village, Northport village, Huntington (the area around Rte. 25A and New York Ave), Port Jefferson Maybe even Patchogue village.

These are the areas you are likely to spend some time in if you move out that way.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
I would also look into Farmingdale, Babylon and Huntington areas. All three tend to have good downtown areas, are a reasonable commute to Hauppauge and can easily hop a train to NYC.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:06 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

If it wasn't for the recent string of violent events there, I would actually defend Brentwood. I've been there a few times and it feels like any other boring Suffolk County hamlet to me.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If it wasn't for the recent string of violent events there, I would actually defend Brentwood. I've been there a few times and it feels like any other boring Suffolk County hamlet to me.
Not just recently...

November 2009: Murder of Christopher Hamilton, 19, as part of gang initiation.

February/March 2010: Murder of David Sandler, 21, and the attempted murder of Aaron Galan, 20. MS-13 gang members lured Sandler, whom the gang believed was a member of the rival Latin Kings gang, to Timberline Drive in Brentwood under the pretext of buying marijuana from him. Once Sandler arrived, a gang member shot him in the face at close range, killing him. Galan was also shot in the face and survived.

February 2014: Brentwood gang members murdered a fellow gang member they believed was cooperating with police. They dumped his body on an east end beach.

July 2014: Murder of Jose Lainez-Murcia, who was shot and killed while sitting in a car outside his Brentwood home because the alleged killer believed the victim was an assassin who had killed MS-13 members in El Salvador.

June 2015: Three teenaged MS-13 members charged with the rape of a 16-year-old girl.
September 2016: Murder of Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, and the discovery of the remains of two teenage boys.

October 2016: Murder of Dewann Stacks, 34.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? Like any boring Suffolk hamlet? Seriously 1995. Stop with the SJW insanity you sound like a fool. Next thing you know you’ll say East NY is like any other boring Brooklyn neighborhood. SMH

Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,939 times
Quote:

Dito - in any community if your looking for trouble, sure your going to find it.

I've been living in north Brentwood since 1992 - 20 years ago my truck broken into, other than summer LOUD weekend house parties haven't witnessed any problems.

I can relate to your story - back in the late 80's moved from Texas after accepting a job offer. One mistake we made was trying to make friends. Meeting different personalities, ages, ethic backgrounds. After a few years realized you have to be yourself to find true friends.

Good Luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island