Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

I would try to negotiate the abandonment without any testing at all. Especially since you plan to convert. If they agree, see if you can get THEM to abandon it before the closing, giving them the money on closing. That way it is on them if there is a problem. IF not, as others have said abandon ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 PM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
Oh lord... My tank is underground. Now after reading all the comments, im thinking i should abandon.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:50 AM

731 posts, read 724,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
Oh lord... My tank is underground. Now after reading all the comments, im thinking i should abandon.
If it's over 25 years old I'd consider it. If not and you buy oil C.O.D. keep on enjoying the cost savings but watch that the county doesn't change laws regarding underground tanks 1000 gl or less. We paid $2800 to abandon, fill 30 yr old tank with foam and install new horizontal 275 gl under deck in 2012.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
In the scheme of things abandoning the tank is easy and relatively cheap. If the tank is not in use, I'm surprised that got by your inspector when you bought the house. If not, you should do it ASAP. If you're still using it you should put it on your radar. As Chalkitup said, keep on eye on legislation...if the law is going to change you will need to do it AND you will need to account for the ability of service providers.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Local governments want to change the abandonment rules to score a bit of pocket change by making thousands of properties potentially an environmental hazard?

Not that I'm denying the greed and stupidity of counties, towns and villages. But it seems this move could crash the housing market. Thousands of homeowners receiving unwanted results costing tens of thousands to remediate would leave. This could lead to mass home abandonment.

Lots of people here can barely afford where they live. Think about how they'd respond if told it would cost $20K to clean up the soil so they can sell.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Local governments want to change the abandonment rules to score a bit of pocket change by making thousands of properties potentially an environmental hazard?

I believe I said "if they can find a way to make money off of it".

If you really think your local elected officials (or state officials for that matter) care a whit about you and your housing values, I want to live in your world. They need to keep the money rolling in for their salary and benefits. Any way they can do that is good with them.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

Not that I'm denying the greed and stupidity of counties, towns and villages. But it seems this move could crash the housing market. Thousands of homeowners receiving unwanted results costing tens of thousands to remediate would leave. This could lead to mass home abandonment.

Lots of people here can barely afford where they live. Think about how they'd respond if told it would cost $20K to clean up the soil so they can sell.
The boomers have a ton of equity locked up, they can afford to lose $20K from the sale of their home. They’ll just sell remediated homes to eager NYC residents and head south.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:32 PM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
If it's over 25 years old I'd consider it. If not and you buy oil C.O.D. keep on enjoying the cost savings but watch that the county doesn't change laws regarding underground tanks 1000 gl or less. We paid $2800 to abandon, fill 30 yr old tank with foam and install new horizontal 275 gl under deck in 2012.

Good to know...going to add this to the long list of things to do for our house! Btw- you're right regarding paying COD. We save a fortune.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
We abandoned (seller) when we bought. The realtor advised us that if a leak is discovered you are then mandated to remediate it and as long as there is no leak you are fine. IF however, you find a leak be prepared to deliver your first born to the DEC as you will need to have soil testing done over a course of time and the paperwork is never ending.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
People should not buy houses with oil heat.
Oil heat is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: