Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,606 times

Advertisements

Last year I moved in with my single daughter who owns a house in Hicksville----a corner house, I should point out. I am 84 years old and did not want to live in a different state by myself. She is younger but not in good health and the doctor told her she is not to shovel snow. My grandson used to shovel the snow from her sidewalks----which are quite lengthy in both directions. He moved away last year and we are unable to make any arrangements for getting the snow shoveled.I looked in the yellow pages, I have looked online under several listings, called landscapers----and cannot find anyone. In desperation I called the Town of Oyster Bay office and was told to try the local high school, fire department and community service organization. I tried all of them yesterday and today with no luck. Where are the teenagers who used to knock on doors and make some money shoveling snow from sidewalks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Try craigslist.
Look for snow removal ads AND place an ad yourself looking for snow removal.

Maybe you could ask a neighbor? (Compensation of course)
In many neighborhoods, the amigos will come around looking to make a few bucks, but that is hit or miss.
Contact your preferred house of worship, the local boy scout troop, fire department, etc...
Someone will be able to hook you up.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Join the local facebook groups. Plenty of kids' parents will "advertise" or at least point you in the right direction when the snow comes.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 PM

629 posts, read 962,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Join the local facebook groups. Plenty of kids' parents will "advertise" or at least point you in the right direction when the snow comes.
This is a good idea. I'm not sure how active the Hicksville groups are, but I've seen similar type posts for my town's Facebook group.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:46 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
make friends with a neighbor who has a snowblower. My IL's neighbors always dig them out after a snow with their snowblowers.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
The Pennysaver also has ads for snow removal in there.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,606 times
Thank you to hotkari and all of you who responded to my post looking for someone o help my daughter and me with getting our snow shoveled in Hicksville. I tried Carigslist as hotkari suggested and found someone advertising to shovel snow right in our neighborhood. This post was the first time I ever asked for help on city data and I didn't think it would really work. But I had five replies . I find it so heartwarming that strangers would take the time to help out someone they never met without any thought of receiving thanks or gratitude for their efforts. God bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island