Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

It’s not a war zone.
There are some areas that are complete garbage but for the most part it’s average LI burb.
It’s probably spotty more than anything else.
Some blocks you wouldn’t want to leave your house at night while others are well kept and totally safe. There are even a few “wow this is Brentwood?” areas.
Crime is pretty bad but it’s mostly property crime. The murders and violence are pretty much confined to gang related activity.

In my pool business days I did quite a few jobs there, and, many of our employees lived there and I would pick them up/drop them off. Never feared for my life.
You couldn’t pay me to live there though, but you also couldn’t pay me to live in Garden City either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The homes I've seen looked fine, seemed like your typical run of the mill boring 50s-70s houses.

You're right about the chain link fences. I'm not sure why so many houses have them, even crappy places like Hempstead and Roosevelt don't have that.

Check cashing places? I really don't think that matters

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7738...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7761...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7828...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7775...7i13312!8i6656

Seems like Anywhereville, USA to me. I'm not even cherrypicking, I randomly picked these 4 blocks on Google Maps.
There are some homes/streets that look fine in Hempstead and Wyndanch too so what? That doesn’t mean it’s a good area or a “typical” LI neighborhood just because it doesn’t look like the south Bronx circa 1977 doesn’t mean it isn’t a crime ridden, gang infested dump.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 PM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
A bunch of racist cowards all moved to Brentwood to start a new life. They wanted to live in a place where they too could be racist cowards. They would go into the mom and pop shops and cause a ruckus. Start a second or third place of worship and play loud music. The water tower that read "Brentwood" now read "rentwood". They even voted down the community pool house to start another place of worship. "Safe in my car" became the number one hit song.

The racist cowards also consisted of morons. They rented out the houses to broke morons. The morons had children who listen to rap music and watched Highschool musical too much. The morons never really supported there children or paid attention to what there children studied. The children moved into the city and took welfare jobs as porters and office assistants.

All of the original dizens of Brentwood never knew what was up they got old and carried on there innocent childish ways. There children of Brentwood left because they felt it was not diverse enough with there own age group. Look out Long Island City.

Then god sent a bunch of military police to cast out the minorities and immigrants who was bad and gave the rest of the land of Brentwood to the Jews. Especially after the value of the area crippled to pennies. By this time many of the morons was in Florida, the Carolina's, and Georgia. Recreating the same problem the allowed for god peoples to inherit the mighty land of Pal...I mean Brentwood.

THat is what is going on with Brentwood. It is neighborhood in it's typical final stages of being converted into crow town.

All these morons who claim to want to live in the country side of suburbia are jumping ship and leaving you with a dying neighborhood. That is it. Everybody is milking everybody else income. Wayward daughters, confused sons, oh the humanity

Old 12-23-2017, 10:29 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
There are some homes/streets that look fine in Hempstead and Wyndanch too so what? That doesn’t mean it’s a good area or a “typical” LI neighborhood just because it doesn’t look like the south Bronx circa 1977 doesn’t mean it isn’t a crime ridden, gang infested dump.
I never said it was a desirable place to live, just that it looks pretty average. Take away the MS-13 problem and it's really not that much different from any other middle American suburb.

Hempstead, in my opinion, looks rougher overall than Brentwood. Brentwood doesn't have any Terrace Ave style places that I know of.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Take away the MS-13 problem and it's really not that much different from any other middle American suburb.
That's kinda like saying take away the toxic waste dump in our backyard and its a normal house. That one problem is a big one. And its foolish to overlook that. It's not like any other middle American suburb. The MS-13 problem is bad. Having several people get murdered in your neighborhood is nothing to overlook. And for that it makes Brentwood a bad neighborhood. Yes, there are worse places but it is one of the 10 worst neighborhoods on LI. If I was in the real-estate business I'd use the same quote you used to lure in unsuspecting people.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
For the most part, you only need to worry about getting to death with a machete if you are somehow involved with MS13.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:06 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
...or maybe in reality it's not.
It is like any other town on Long Island, in that property TAXES are outrageous.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
It is like any other town on Long Island, in that property TAXES are outrageous.
Actually even that is incorrect. The lousy area has even influenced taxes. Looking at the most expensive homes currently for sale right now (which don’t even go over 500k), the taxes are well below 10k per year, which is definitely not the norm for houses in nicer areas at the same price point.

The area is garbage and has the taxes to show for it.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Actually even that is incorrect. The lousy area has even influenced taxes. Looking at the most expensive homes currently for sale right now (which don’t even go over 500k), the taxes are well below 10k per year, which is definitely not the norm for houses in nicer areas at the same price point.

The area is garbage and has the taxes to show for it.
It looks as though some of the homes are owned by older people (vinyl wrapped furniture) and the lower taxes are a reflection upon the long time ownership. The newer stuff appears to be higher, but no where near as high as they would be in a "good" area. Then again, there is a lot of commercial property in the area. I wonder if that has any effect on helping keep the taxes a little lower?

Old 12-24-2017, 03:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It looks as though some of the homes are owned by older people (vinyl wrapped furniture) and the lower taxes are a reflection upon the long time ownership. The newer stuff appears to be higher, but no where near as high as they would be in a "good" area. Then again, there is a lot of commercial property in the area. I wonder if that has any effect on helping keep the taxes a little lower?
Since when are high property taxes something to brag about anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Brentwood's property taxes would be considered very high for most of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island