Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM

732 posts, read 870,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I'm going to mail mine in today to TOB. I am not going near one of their offices. They say you can mail it in as long as it's postmarked and dated with a 2017 date. They likely don't want you showing up and will gladly take your 2017 payment by mail. I'll certify it just so i have good proof i sent it.

Im sure the line at the post office will be less than the line at the tax office.
What are you mailing? School payments or General?
I paid school online but I would like to pay off my 2018 general as well. I was told you would have to go to the office for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,806,375 times
Not endorsing this nor saying it's accurate BUT seems to be the most thorough I've seen and the calculations match up closely to what I have on paper. So far, I think this is the best calculator I've found. Anyone else have a good one, please share.

Tax Plan Calculator by Maxim Lott

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM

537 posts, read 1,441,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
What are you mailing? School payments or General?
I paid school online but I would like to pay off my 2018 general as well. I was told you would have to go to the office for that.
2018 General. I just mailed it. Sent it certified for my own proof for 2017. $3.85 for a certified letter was worth my time vs waiting two hours at an office to pay in person.

Who told you General had to be paid in person? They cannot accept 2018 general online but the website says you can still mail a payment as long as the check is dated 2017 and envelope postmarked 2017. Why would they want to attract people to the office when they are already short staffed due to demand. They will take as many mailed payments as they can get.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM

56,850 posts, read 25,780,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Well the amounts have been assessed now in '17 it seems, as we all know the exact figure we would owe for '18 General Taxes. 4900 page PDF anyone?

At any rate, TOB would definitely want the money sooner than later so they will push this regardless. The question is whether the IRS will see it that way and from that text, they should.
How do you know exactly what your 2018 General taxes are when the county hasn't even billed you, same goes for the Village Taxes. If you hold a mortgage I could see that you might be able to prepay based on an estimate but not the County or village, they have not sent a bill.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,379,629 times
I think people are not realizing you will be paying less taxes in your weekly pay check starting next year. The end of the world hysteria really is ridiculous.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:19 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,768,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How do you know exactly what your 2018 General taxes are when the county hasn't even billed you, same goes for the Village Taxes. If you hold a mortgage I could see that you might be able to prepay based on an estimate but not the County or village, they have not sent a bill.
This is exactly why we went in person to pay the bill. The County obviously doesnt have time to mail the new figures by 12/31 so you have to appear in person, give them your address, and they will look it up in the system to give you the new #. I personally wouldnt rely on mailing a check with an incorrect sum.

FWIW., the TOH will be open this weekend to allow for the extra people coming in to pay. I imagine TOB might do the same.

Crowds Line Up To Prepay Property Taxes On Long Island « CBS New York

Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Town of oyster bay posted the actual numbers for all residents this week on their website. Even posted the number with the 1% discount for paying early. I don’t think other towns did this. Was real easy.

You can also get the number by going to LandRecord Lookup as the numbers for all towns in Nassau are posted there. Just subtract 1% off second half general for actual amount. Real easy. Doesn’t take a trip in person.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:25 PM

5,263 posts, read 4,703,163 times
Just remember anyone who is paying AMT prepaying is completely useless.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM

732 posts, read 870,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Town of oyster bay posted the actual numbers for all residents this week on their website. Even posted the number with the 1% discount for paying early. I don’t think other towns did this. Was real easy.

You can also get the number by going to LandRecord Lookup as the numbers for all towns in Nassau are posted there. Just subtract 1% off second half general for actual amount. Real easy. Doesn’t take a trip in person.
So you only pay the 2nd half of the 2018 gen tax? I'm a new home owner and not sure how to pay the taxes. I paid 2018 school online since I received a bill from them.

My 2nd half of General 2018 tax is $2,557. 1% discount is -$25.57

I should send a check of $2,531.43 written to Town of Hempstead with my Section, Block and Lot in certified mail?

Old 12-28-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
So you only pay the 2nd half of the 2018 gen tax? I'm a new home owner and not sure how to pay the taxes. I paid 2018 school online since I received a bill from them.

My 2nd half of General 2018 tax is $2,557. 1% discount is -$25.57

I should send a check of $2,531.43 written to Town of Hempstead with my Section, Block and Lot in certified mail?

I sent for both halves general. I am not sure why you would only send the second half. So for you it would be $2557 + 2557 - 25.57 as your discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island