Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 14,295 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to a long term house (good schools for when I have children one day)
Also looking for nicer people than in Franklin Square

Currently interested in Plainview, Glen Cove, Bellmore (South), Port Washington

Would pay for home in cash up to 700k.

Any thoughts? Concerns? Changes in the area? Pros from those who live in these areas? Suggestions?

Your honest input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
A little more info regarding what you're looking for in a house would be helpful. It could potentially eliminate one or more of your preferences.

1. # of bedrooms (minimum)
  2. # of bathrooms (minimum)
  3. style of house
  4. size of property (minimum)
  5. garage (essential? one ok?)
  6. basement (none ok, partial, full)

Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Those areas do not have nicer people than Franklin Square.
Probably the same, quality wise.
Most of Nassau will have similar type people as Franklin Square.
Good luck with your search.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 AM

731 posts, read 724,295 times
Definitely look into Roosevelt, Hempstead or Uniondale.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Definitely look into Roosevelt, Hempstead or Uniondale.
Shirley or Mastic are also options in Suffolk.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:13 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Nut up or shut up.

Baiting Hollow.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2move123 View Post
Looking to move to a long term house (good schools for when I have children one day)
Also looking for nicer people than in Franklin Square

Currently interested in Plainview, Glen Cove, Bellmore (South), Port Washington

Would pay for home in cash up to 700k.

Any thoughts? Concerns? Changes in the area? Pros from those who live in these areas? Suggestions?

Your honest input is much appreciated.
Perhaps you would get more constructive answers if we knew what you disliked about the people in FS. To be fair, there are people, and there are PEOPLE everywhere. I know several people in FS and never found them to be unfriendly. So what exactly are you experiencing?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 14,295 times
After going to school in Floral Park which is literally right next door I can tell you the difference was huge.
If a kid dropped their binder at Carey they would play keep away with it vs the whole FPM lacrosse team helping him/her pick up all the papers. I know not everyone is nice in any area but simple courtesy and civility makes an impact especially when you wish to raise a family and values are important.
..even going to Plainview to shop I noticed a lot more friendly behavior I never experienced in F.S. (more thank you and "excuse me" and "please" etc)

I also dislike the new neighbors who have been nothing but a nightmare...the complaints to the Town have done nothing. I also prefer an area in which I am not the only Jew or Italian. There has been anti semitism in this area much more than anywhere else I have been in my entire life.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,236 times
Your question is difficult to answer because no-one knows what you don't like about the people in Franklin Square, many people are very happy residing there. With a budget of 700k most areas will be open to you. I'd suggest you make a list of must haves and wants and conduct an internet search. You can find school ratings, demographics, crime stats, proximity to various places, shopping, transportation etc. all from your computer. Once you've narrowed down your search areas to five or so drive and walk around the areas, you can learn a lot from a leisurely stroll. Then make appointments with realtors in those areas and have them show you some homes. With a little research you should be able to ask some questions you already know the answers to which may give you insight into the realtors truthfulness.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM

690 posts, read 584,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2move123 View Post
After going to school in Floral Park which is literally right next door I can tell you the difference was huge.
If a kid dropped their binder at Carey they would play keep away with it vs the whole FPM lacrosse team helping him/her pick up all the papers. I know not everyone is nice in any area but simple courtesy and civility makes an impact especially when you wish to raise a family and values are important.
..even going to Plainview to shop I noticed a lot more friendly behavior I never experienced in F.S. (more thank you and "excuse me" and "please" etc)

I also dislike the new neighbors who have been nothing but a nightmare...the complaints to the Town have done nothing. I also prefer an area in which I am not the only Jew or Italian. There has been anti semitism in this area much more than anywhere else I have been in my entire life.
I find this statement comical. I happen to live in FS by way of queens, and before that, born and raised in a very wealthy area in CT. I work in the Plainview area, I NEVER hear a thank you, an excuse me, or anything or the sort. To say this is exclusive to FS is completely inaccurate. People are rude everywhere. In my experience, the wealthier the area on LI, the less manners they exhibit in public.

To say you're the only Italian in FS? That's another falacy. The only Jew? I live right in between two.

Neighbors being nightmares? Welcome to Long Island. The only way out of this one is to go out east and buy a big enough property where you don't see them.

Seems to me that perhaps you're the problem. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island