Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 PM

193 posts, read 271,370 times

Advertisements

9pm. Sunrise Highway near the Meadowbrook. Was talking to my Wife while stopped at the red light, saw the light turn green and went... only to realize very quickly that it was the left turn arrow that went green. Ah ****. As my luck would have it, a few cars back and 2 lanes over was a police car, who witnessed the whole thing.

I immediately pull over, all goes well I think. Honest mistake. Got the Wife and 1 year old in the car, I'm just regular 'ol family guy. Officer was cordial, I was cooperative. I have a clean driving record. He acknowledged that I got tripped up by the green arrow. I told him I did indeed get tripped up, and goofed big.

He presents me with a summons to appear, violation is "Passed Red Signal". There is no mention of points or fine on it (after doing some reading it looks like it is $338 and 3 points). At the bottom they have this "Supporting Deposition" where he has written that I made a statement of "I was talking to her. I wasn't paying attention", which is paraphrasing to say the least.

So question. What now? Try my luck in court? Hire a traffic lawyer? I have ZERO experience with this here. I am turning to all you bad Long Island drivers on here that have been through this before. What is my next move?

Appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
I'm glad that you and your family are alright.

Since this could mean points on your license (which will raise your insurance for the next 4 years in most cases), it's best to plead 'not guilty' and then fight it yourself. Since you have a clean driving record, your ticket has a good likelihood of getting reduced or even completely dismissed.

Most traffic attorney cost around $350 these days; which costs more than your ticket itself so I wouldn't recommend this unless it was a very serious driving offense.

Be aware that if you go to court yourself, it will likely be a full-day ordeal with lots of rude workers so be prepared for this if you choose this route and make sure you can get the whole day off from work.

Also, don't call the insurance company AT ALL (not even to inquire about taking a course to reduce your rates or ask 'hypothetical questions'). For some lucky people that end up getting convicted of a speeding offense, the insurance companies never find out so don't give them a reason to refresh your records.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-26-2017 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 02:52 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
yep , i had a 6 pointer that went under the radar for 4 years until it came off . the insurer never had reason to pull a transcript .

my buddy who worked for an insurer said nothing puts you on the radar faster than taking the course when you never took it before .

it does not help either record wise . the points that are removed are only a dmv thing as far as getting your license suspended . the rest of the world sees your record of convictions , which haunt you for up to 4 years from date of conviction .

insurers do not go by dmv points .

many shoot themselves in the foot taking a minor traffic violation and pleading it to a no point seat belt ticket .

while it is no points to the dmv it counts pretty heavy to your insurer . many times the violation with the points is the better choice

Old 12-27-2017, 06:23 AM

731 posts, read 725,487 times
Next move? With your wife and 1 year old child in car pay attention next time. You're lucky you're not dead..or worse they are and you're not. Pay the damn fine that you recklessly earned and stop trying to escape responsibility.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 AM

20,052 posts, read 20,867,177 times
You should’ve crumpled up the ticket, through it in his face, and then reminded him he is a public servant and told him to pick it up.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:51 AM

181 posts, read 445,171 times
It's funny...you can run a few red light cameras and still pay a smaller fine (I think it's like 80 each) and get no points in the most dangerous situations and the most egregious ways ever but if a police officer sees you do it, BAM...over 300 in fines and some points.

I know in Suffolk you can plead it down for a higher fee and no points, but if you choose to have points, you still have to pay the additional fees that come up annually for a few years...either way the court gets their money...but I heard Nassau is more lenient...wife made an illegal u-turn around that same area and got a lower fine and 0 points a few years ago.

I'm not going to chastise you like others may do, but just take this as a warning to be a lot more careful on the road...the state is very insolvent and will be for a while, so you can bet that the police will do what they can to get more tickets and raise more revenue. Know where the lights are, if they have cameras, if they have police nearby, if you can see police, coast on roads with red light cameras so you don't kill your brakes from braking abruptly, etc. I tune my wife out whenever she buzzes in my ear and I'm near a red light - camera or not.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Next move? With your wife and 1 year old child in car pay attention next time. You're lucky you're not dead..or worse they are and you're not. Pay the damn fine that you recklessly earned and stop trying to escape responsibility.
Moderator cut: language removed
. Thanks for stating the obvious. You must be a joy to be around.

Must be a glorious feeling to be a shining example of perfection, huh?

There's always one in every thread...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-27-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
It's funny...you can run a few red light cameras and still pay a smaller fine (I think it's like 80 each) and get no points in the most dangerous situations and the most egregious ways ever but if a police officer sees you do it, BAM...over 300 in fines and some points.

I know in Suffolk you can plead it down for a higher fee and no points, but if you choose to have points, you still have to pay the additional fees that come up annually for a few years...either way the court gets their money...but I heard Nassau is more lenient...wife made an illegal u-turn around that same area and got a lower fine and 0 points a few years ago.

I'm not going to chastise you like others may do, but just take this as a warning to be a lot more careful on the road...the state is very insolvent and will be for a while, so you can bet that the police will do what they can to get more tickets and raise more revenue. Know where the lights are, if they have cameras, if they have police nearby, if you can see police, coast on roads with red light cameras so you don't kill your brakes from braking abruptly, etc. I tune my wife out whenever she buzzes in my ear and I'm near a red light - camera or not.
Thank you for the reply.

A momentary lapse and I feel terrible about it. The fact that I put my wife and child in danger is eating me up.

Will weigh my points/fine options. Crazy that a red light camera ticket is so much less.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM

181 posts, read 445,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Thank you for the reply.

A momentary lapse and I feel terrible about it. The fact that I put my wife and child in danger is eating me up.

Will weigh my points/fine options. Crazy that a red light camera ticket is so much less.
No worries man....things happen...luckily no one or car was hurt but most people try to do the right thing on the road and mistakes still happen. You seem like the type who will be extra careful from now on but generally always meant well anyway...as opposed to the douches who dart in and out of lanes going 100+ on sunrise. Ignore the people on this forum who are pretty much advocating for your execution...I think most of them are disabled losers collecting a pension who sit on forums all day trying to look smug but are angry at the world

Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM

731 posts, read 725,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
No sh_t Sherlock. Thanks for stating the obvious. You must be a joy to be around.

Must be a glorious feeling to be a shining example of perfection, huh?

There's always one in every thread...
Awww....did I hurt your feelings. Ok..I apol.....nah. Get over it. Pay your petty fine.

btw..last ticket I got Carter was president. It was only 105mph on Motor Pkwy...stoned.

I did 7 days in jail, lost license for 6 months and paid $1,500 in fees/fines.

Other that..yes I'm a perfect.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island