Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,792,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantLessTaxes View Post
Why does everyone always think the other person is the problem.
Simple, it wasn't a problem with the previous tenant.

Asking someone to move because of noise is the same as suggesting someone move because of taxes (your username). You don't just up and go at the snap of a finger with no care as there are logistics involved that may keep that from happening anytime soon, or at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM

98 posts, read 131,516 times
All you have described is what happens when you live under someone. Pacing on a phone call is actually normal behavior for people and not a conspiracy to drive you nuts. If your complex has quiet time (Usually 11p-7a) then you may have some grounds to talk to him but you can't really demand he installs carpet.

Before I bought my condo I rented and got a bottom unit once and went through the same thing. I am afraid you will have to deal with it or get a top unit.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 40,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Simple, it wasn't a problem with the previous tenant.

Asking someone to move because of noise is the same as suggesting someone move because of taxes (your username). You don't just up and go at the snap of a finger with no care as there are logistics involved that may keep that from happening anytime soon, or at all.
So because the previous tenant didn't happen to walk around his apartment that means that no one should ever do such a thing in the apartment they pay for. I have lived above too many people like yourself in the past that think that the person above them should be quiet as a pipe. I had people below me complain all the time in my younger days when I lived in such situations about toilet flushing in the middle of the night or showers, just ridiculous everyday stuff.

Wanting lower taxes is quite normal. The taxes here suck, I am stating a fact. They don't suck enough for me to move yet, but my username is that because just that. Me complaining about taxes could possibly bug the government. You complaining to your upstairs neighbor that he should not walk around his house while he talks on the phone is just being a sticky beak and putting your nose where it doesn't belong. If you want quiet and not to hear people walking over you then you should move upstairs.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 PM

You asked why the new guy is the problem. The first thing you question when there's a new issue is, what's changed? As I said, simple.

As for pointing the finger at me, I wouldn't expect 24/7 quiet in such a situation at all - I've lived on the first floor off-campus while in school. But again, it was possible to be quiet "for quite some time" before and the neighbor is what has changed. You really wonder why were trying to troubleshoot him?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantLessTaxes View Post
Why does everyone always think the other person is the problem.

You are complaining about someone walking around their apartment talking on the phone. If you have a big issue with that you can either A) Move or B) spend your own money and install some sound barrier in your side of the ceiling. This person is entitled to live in his apartment as he sees fit. You said yourself its not like he was blasting music or anything. If someone walking around bugs you that much then that is your problem and completely ridiculous for you to say anything about that.

I hate people who think everyone else is the problem it is his home and he chose to move upstairs to not hear people walking on his head, you chose to live downstairs for other conveniences, but thems be the breaks OP. Welcome to the real world.
Amen!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 AM

711 posts, read 607,698 times
This is the thing that sucks about apts with nut jobs living above you. My sister had a similiar situation this lunatic used to pace up and down at 3am plus nearly every night . He would take a break smoke on the balcony make some calls and then continue pacing like a nut for hours straight.

You never know what type of nuts people are until you live near one. Very annoying and not much you can do. After all these mental wierdo nuts think there behavior is normal

Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 AM

I'll also add that neighbors in a different house can suck just as much so it's not just a matter of living on the 2nd floor instead of the 1st floor. How about when they let their dog out at 630am daily to bark the whole neighborhood up? Or have parties with loud music audible until 1am? You can't just move away from your problems, but you certainly can talk to them to try and resolve it. Or call the cops to help you. Funny our other neighbor has 2 dogs and we never hear any noise from them. Point is, it's inconsiderate people who suck and not just where you live that controls that. The biggest variable is always the person.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,087,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I'll also add that neighbors in a different house can suck just as much so it's not just a matter of living on the 2nd floor instead of the 1st floor. How about when they let their dog out at 630am daily to bark the whole neighborhood up? Or have parties with loud music audible until 1am? You can't just move away from your problems, but you certainly can talk to them to try and resolve it. Or call the cops to help you. Funny our other neighbor has 2 dogs and we never hear any noise from them. Point is, it's inconsiderate people who suck and not just where you live that controls that. The biggest variable is always the person.
Or, don't choose to live in houses which are so close to your neighbors. There are always choices.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
Here it goes... Had an amazing upstairs neighbor in my Suffolk co-op for quite sometime. Didn't hear a peep. An apartment dream so to speak. Then up for sale the place went, and up my anxiety went over who would move in.

Young guy buys the place and moves in about a month ago. Mid 20's. Seems nice although I never had a real conversation with him yet. Long story short, in the very first week, it began.

In my entire life I have never heard, or seen anything like this, but this guy, this kid really, walks BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH while on the phone. This happens a good 2-3 times during the week and when I say back and forth I am talking about NO break, NO stoppages, NOTHING, and the cherry on top? These aren't just 5-10 minute calls. These are sometimes near HOUR LONG PHONE CALLS, maybe work related, not sure, and its just surreal to me. I sit down in my living room, on my couch trying to watch TV after a hard days work, and I hear this person who you would literally think is exercising if you didn't know any better. Unfortunately for me (and others in this development) the ceilings here are PAPER thin and we can hear everything. I heard him on the phone.

This is driving me absolutely positively insane. How a new tenant can just either A) assume I can't hear him walking or B) KNOWS i probably hear it, but just doesn't care, is awful. I know I have to talk to this kid but am just not 100% sure how to approach it. It has to be done soon though bc one more night of this NONSTOP PACING and I think I will legit lose my mind.

Oh, and on top of everything else, he has his buddies over for the first time last Saturday night around 8-9pm. Ok fine, no big deal. I've had people over before too. The big deal was at 1 freaking AM when they all RETURNED upstairs and had a borderline after party in the apartment and woke me up. No blasting music, no tv, but walking , talking, chairs moving all around, etc. It was a nightmare. Couldn't fall back asleep til 2am when the last friend left, oh, and slammed the door shut on the way out. It should be noted that this is NOT a building. These are upstairs and downstairs units together. We share one door, so its a rather intimate situation with your neighbor in this development.

I know apartment life comes with its negatives and its noise, but this is insane. Picture yourself in your living room hearing someone walk laps on top of you for an hour several times a week. This also isn't a Joe Schmo apartment don't forget. This is a co-op that I paid an arm and a leg for. He did too, but thats really not the point right now.

How would everyone here approach this? I was thinking of simply ringing the bell after work one day soon and letting him know just HOW thin the ceilings unfortunately are and to please be mindful when walking around while on the phone all the time and coming back with friends at 1am. Part of me wants to wait until one more middle of the night with friends incident to justify me approaching him better, but the other part of me is thinking just nip this in the butt asap.

((sigh))

Kinda impersonal... but perhaps leave a polite note?

When we had our co-op our downstairs neighbor knocked on our door multiple times about our walking but it was just normal walking not like pacing like this guy.

We pretty much told her to go to hell lol.

Then we moved

Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 AM

19,584 posts, read 20,406,499 times
Many developments have the 70/30 rule for upstairs units.
70% carpet. Basically breaks down to having carpet throughout aside from the kitchen and bath.

I got sick and tired of living near other people and having neighbors.
So I moved to an area where I have no neighbors.
Bam! Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: