Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I love Costco. I buy everything from there and return just about anything. They always take it back without a hassle. Radio Shack, Kmart, Sears and King Kullen were are crappy stores. Especially Radio Shack. They sold nothing but over priced crap in the end. Even their batteries sucked.

However, its sad saying goodbye to Toys R Us. I wish those fools knew how to run a business.
What? I love King Kullen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:03 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Running a business is not the reason why toys r us is going out of business. Two reasons are kids aren't playing with toys anymore. Blame the parents for giving thier kids iPhones electronics. Video games are downloaded now so no need to buy video games at the store. The other reason is basically no.one shops in stores much anymore, they order online and have it shipped home.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM

43 posts, read 106,674 times
I'm surprised that Kmart is still operating. I was told that many people wanted the Walmart at Sunrise Mall gone for 11 years prior to its closing in 2015. I was there the day they closed and it was a madhouse. I know Walmart has its cons but when I'm looking for savings and convenience, Walmart or Target are my go-to stores. The Sears at Huntington Square Mall closed several months ago, and I only shopped their when they were having sales. Now that I live in Central Islip, I go to either Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree or Target. I heard Payless was closing some stores too.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Running a business is not the reason why toys r us is going out of business. Two reasons are kids aren't playing with toys anymore. Blame the parents for giving thier kids iPhones electronics. Video games are downloaded now so no need to buy video games at the store. The other reason is basically no.one shops in stores much anymore, they order online and have it shipped home.
Actually, running a business is exactly why they are finished. Toys r us retail and online are doing ok and actually were turning a profit. Coming out of bankruptcy back in 2005 they were acquired by private equity firms KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado who saddled the company with debt. They've been paying $400m per year to service $5b in debt. That's why they can't keep up stores or compete with Amazon. They have no working capital and tons of debt. They can sell all the toys in the world and not catch up. That's why they are folding.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Kmart in West Babylon is scheduled to close next on Long Island...

Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM

172 posts, read 221,075 times
I’m scared to think that a Walmart could end up there. Uggggggg
The massapequa Walmart closed and there isn’t anything out east unless you want to go way out. Pretty much the only local one is in Farmingdale.

The entire store front size tells me Lowe’s or Home Depot but there is no need as we already have those stores pretty close by. That dollar store would make a killing having a Lowe’s nearby.

Target wouldn’t go there for the same reasons. A Kohl’s?? Don’t know if they are looking to do another store

So I hope the sears and Kmart empty spots are broken down and a new small store shopping center comes out of it.

Maybe dollar store will move because they are in a tight spot with volume going into that parking lot anymore after Kmart closes.

Across the street they still have that empty liquidation building that’s been there for 10 years.

I know South Bay theatre is reopening but a big multiplex theatre would be a good idea

Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
All of them with the new tax bill.

What does the new tax bill have to do with LI stores closing?

Old 06-20-2018, 03:03 PM

430 posts, read 557,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
No more Radio Shacks on Long Island in a while.
Radio Shacks all close because of their business model, not because of the tech stuff they sold. That stuff is still in high demand. I personally was turned off because every time I stepped foot in one I had a salesman trying to con me by overselling what I needed or pull a fast one with swapping products. Never had a positive experience and I'm glad they all closed.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I loved Radio Shack.
Always knew what I needed and where it was so I would tell the sales guy to clock out for break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island