Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times

Advertisements

That FB group is great. I filed 6 grievances last year and won them all. Will be helping more friends this year to grieve their taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 AM

78 posts, read 203,227 times
I filed last night. The FB page is fantastic. Seeing that I have not appealed, my suggested assessed value was dramaically lower, which feels like a big ask, but per Jeff’s guidance, sounds like this is just how it works. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM

69 posts, read 126,155 times
Used the same FB page as well to grieve on my own this year. The information on there is fantastic. Was my first time grieving (closed on my first house in 2017), and it took 10 minutes using his step by step guide.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM

732 posts, read 883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML987 View Post
Used the same FB page as well to grieve on my own this year. The information on there is fantastic. Was my first time grieving (closed on my first house in 2017), and it took 10 minutes using his step by step guide.
Did you change the year acquired and price? It was Part D. When I put the parcel ID, it automatically filled out the previous owner's sale. I was told to update it and upload the sale/deed

Old 01-05-2018, 10:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I know others will insist on a DIY, but I believe the best route is to sign up with one of the law firms that do this. They don't get paid anything unless they get you a reduction (they take 50% of the first year's savings).

Bear in mind that Nassau and Suffolk are very different in this regard. When I lived in Nassau, I grieved every year and had my taxes lowered every year.

In Suffolk, grieving is much harder. Depending on your situation, some of the better law firms won't even take you on because they know it is pointless to try for a reduction. At that point, you can still file on your own, but at least you know in advance you are only wasting your time.
Aren't Suffolk taxes cheaper anyhow? It makes sense then

Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM

69 posts, read 126,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Did you change the year acquired and price? It was Part D. When I put the parcel ID, it automatically filled out the previous owner's sale. I was told to update it and upload the sale/deed

I did not update the price of my house on Part D. I was unsure of this also, but after reading some comments posted on the FB Group I decided not to update.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM

732 posts, read 883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML987 View Post
I did not update the price of my house on Part D. I was unsure of this also, but after reading some comments posted on the FB Group I decided not to update.
Jeff said to be honest on the form so i updated my numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island