Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

SD of this era are a bunch of pansy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 PM

67 posts, read 73,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Stony Brook University is closed Friday

Again, a state funded facility. Any private sector business closed 2 days in a row?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
You must be a teacher or other job on taxpayer dime. Many jobs don’t close 2 days in a row because it’s too cold.
Most jobs aren't dealing with children, children's safety, transportation issues and under the constant threat of a lawsuit at the drop of a hat. You're being ridiculous and pathetic.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
Quote:
If roads are not passable by tomorrow morning, then that is absurd. Plows should be able to clear by tomorrow.
And I know teachers don’t decide on snow days. I wish my work would cancel tomorrow because it’s too cold.
Sorry Kirios diner dishwashers don't get the day after snowstorms off. Should've studied in high school instead of smoking nickel bags in the woods.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM

67 posts, read 73,996 times
Stop showing your racist colors. Dishwashers are hard working people.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
There goes the “R” word.
I will only drive and own black cars.
Does that make me a racist too?

#communistamerica

Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
You must be a teacher or other job on taxpayer dime. Many jobs don’t close 2 days in a row because it’s too cold.
You keep saying "too cold" neatly avoiding the matter of ice, snow, wind, cold and idiotic drivers combined. Basically, if the Governor calls a state of emergency (done), then the schools are essentially transporting kids at the taxpayers risk. Our bosses can do that. If something happens, we can sue him/her. When the bus crashes and a kid gets hurt, the district will be sued and lose...and the insurance may not pay out because of the declared state of emergency. A lot of factors at play. Bus companies just went on strike over snow day pay. The schools DO NOT want to close, they are just very risk averse these days...with good reason. Most of us are sick of the teacher unions and overcompensation, I'm with ya on that. We look for a reason to be mad. This isn't it, though. I'm glad my kid is staying home tomorrow.

Edit: My nicely cleared driveway was just re-covered in ice boulders by good ole' "better never than late" TOHempstead plows. Good luck me and 1000+ other schnooks getting our cars out of the driveway in the AM.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:07 AM

47 posts, read 47,173 times
Maybe this isn't an issue in many school districts, but I'm in Riverhead SD. There are miles of roads abutting farms, and even with snow fences in place, snow blowing across these roads render the roads invisible 10 minutes after a plow goes by. That's not a place for buses or children. I had to drive through one of these roads once with the snow blowing and it was frightening. There was NO visibility. You want kids standing in that?

Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenliny View Post
Maybe this isn't an issue in many school districts, but I'm in Riverhead SD. There are miles of roads abutting farms, and even with snow fences in place, snow blowing across these roads render the roads invisible 10 minutes after a plow goes by. That's not a place for buses or children. I had to drive through one of these roads once with the snow blowing and it was frightening. There was NO visibility. You want kids standing in that?
Most here don't but many just hold such a deep resentment toward teachers their ability to use rational reason becomes foggy.........or maybe snowblind is a better word.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Stony Brook University is closed Friday
And I'm here. Was here yesterday for a couple hours too. The University isn't closed, classes are cancelled. The university won't close unless Cuomo declares all non-essential state employees to stay home due to weather conditions.

It's dangerously cold this morning, I wouldn't want my kids to stand at the bus stop today. You guys crying about it go stand on the street corner for 15 minutes right now. How about the underprivileged kids who can't afford adequate cold weather gear? Gonna make them stand out and there and get frostbite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island