Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
How about the underprivileged kids who can't afford adequate cold weather gear? Gonna make them stand out and there and get frostbite?
I guess the underprivileged can't go to school for 3 months due to winter?

I've given plenty of nearly perfect looking coats to Goodwill over the years as my kids have outgrown them. I imagine many others have done the same. No reason why any child has to go without proper clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 AM

16 posts, read 13,462 times
Most school districts will have the teachers make up the day. Students may not have to based on a variety of factors. Odds are teachers will participate in professional development or some sort of training.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:40 AM

16 posts, read 13,462 times
You accuse someone of being racist for mentioning dishwashers and defend them as hardworking but you're bashing teachers. It appears that you're the one slandering an entire profession based on stereotypes.

"...must be a teacher..."

Old 01-05-2018, 05:58 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
If roads are not passable by tomorrow morning, then that is absurd. Plows should be able to clear by tomorrow.
And I know teachers don’t decide on snow days. I wish my work would cancel tomorrow because it’s too cold.

Which has nothing to do with the school districts. They make the decisions, they don't control the plow operators.

Under a state of emergency you're not supposed to be on the roads. You can be ticketed. If your employer puts you on the roads, on days like today, you can take that up with them.

Buses also have a hard time in this weather....wouldn't be surprised if many couldn't get started, then you have kids standing outside waiting for a bus that might be 15 minutes late, or not come at all. My school district had almost 100 buses out of service on Tuesday after the long break.

I'd be surprised if there weren't schools with heating issues ... there were a whole bunch of schools here in NC with issues earlier this week. My son's high school is a damn sight newer than any school on Long Island and they came home early two days in a row due to no heat.

Walking to and standing at the bus stop is another issue....not everyone clears their walkway and there's not enough room to safely walk in the road while Rocco in his Escalade comes barreling down the street to show everyone how driving an SUV in the snow is the best. When he spins out you don't want to be nearby.

Last edited by twingles; 01-05-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonLongIsland View Post
Most school districts will have the teachers make up the day. Students may not have to based on a variety of factors. Odds are teachers will participate in professional development or some sort of training.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonLongIsland View Post
You accuse someone of being racist for mentioning dishwashers and defend them as hardworking but you're bashing teachers. It appears that you're the one slandering an entire profession based on stereotypes.

"...must be a teacher..."
You can't win on here. Theres always an argument from somebody about something.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 2,943,117 times
More Family time. What could be better than that??

Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
My SD have allocated 2-3 snow days. So if they don't use the snow days in the winter, they use those snow days in the Spring. I rather they close the school now then in the Spring.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
What happened to walking up hill both ways in the snow to school?
Buses and cars? Kids are spoiled.
Put some snow boots on and send them on their way.
Lazy unmotivated slackers.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Biggest thing is that the roads will be unchanged between now and Monday. Plows are done, and salt and sand have been spread. Any snow left on the ground will still be there for a few days during the sub zero temps this weekend, as the salt can't melt it when its that cold.

So Monday morning, things will look exactly the same. Perhaps we should close until March to be safe.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What happened to walking up hill both ways in the snow to school?
Buses and cars? Kids are spoiled.
Put some snow boots on and send them on their way.
Lazy unmotivated slackers.
Exactly! Can't put your arms down? Too bad!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island