Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:16 PM

60 posts, read 49,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Please post the statute.
https://www.ecode360.com/14954329

Any landlord offering to rent a housing accommodation which is the subject of a pending foreclosure action or proceeding shall notify a prospective tenant, in writing, of the foreclosure action, prior to entering into a lease with the prospective tenant.

B. Any landlord renting a housing accommodation to a tenant within the County of Suffolk shall provide such tenant with written notice that a foreclosure proceeding has been initiated against the premises that are the subject of the lease within five business days of receiving notice of the foreclosure proceeding.

§ 696-5Penalties for offenses.

[Amended 3-18-2008 by L.L. No. 6-2008]
A. A willful violation of this article by a landlord shall constitute a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $500. Each violation shall be deemed a separate offense.

B. Any individual injured in whole or in part as a result of a violation of this article by a landlord may bring an action to recover damages in an amount not to exceed three times the actual damages or $500, whichever is greater, plus reasonable attorney's fees. This remedy shall be in addition to, and shall not preclude, any action that an individual may have under common law, local law, state law or federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're either saving for a house or you're ready to buy. Which is it? If you're about to be out on the street any sane,rational ADULT would say "let me get out while I can and be done with it". That's how we all know you're living in mom and dad's basement with your Star Wars posters looking down on you and you've got two posters who never seen your posts before responding to you.

I hope everyone who is responding to you on this thread takes some time to read your ridiculous posting history regarding this issue.

I feel bad for you...you seem like an angry unhappy person who just posts mean comments for no reason...good luck with life

Old 01-05-2018, 05:29 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankinggirl View Post

Any landlord offering to rent a housing accommodation which is the subject of a pending foreclosure action or proceeding shall notify a prospective tenant, in writing, of the foreclosure action, prior to entering into a lease with the prospective tenant.

B. Any landlord renting a housing accommodation to a tenant within the County of Suffolk shall provide such tenant with written notice that a foreclosure proceeding has been initiated against the premises that are the subject of the lease within five business days of receiving notice of the foreclosure proceeding.

§ 696-5Penalties for offenses.

[Amended 3-18-2008 by L.L. No. 6-2008]
A. A willful violation of this article by a landlord shall constitute a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $500. Each violation shall be deemed a separate offense.

B. Any individual injured in whole or in part as a result of a violation of this article by a landlord may bring an action to recover damages in an amount not to exceed three times the actual damages or $500, whichever is greater, plus reasonable attorney's fees. This remedy shall be in addition to, and shall not preclude, any action that an individual may have under common law, local law, state law or federal law.
Please cite the law from a state, county, village or town website...not a third party website. I looked up the exact code that that site listed and no such code exists in New York.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Default I just clicked on the link and it took me there

I put the link in my reply and copy and pasted underneath. You can also call Suffolk housing and they can send it to you as well...that is how I found it. But the link I pasted works...I just clicked on it.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 PM

Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
I opened the link and searched Suffolk County codes a different website but there is no such code. Are you sure that this is not a town or village code?

Old 01-05-2018, 05:54 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
I am going to the auction if it takes place just to see what happens during an auction.
Oh Really?...

Quote:
Cannot afford to move bc I am saving for a house But you are correct I COULD use my money saved for a house to move to a new place...but why should I have to at this time if I do not have to?
So you CAN afford to move, you simply choose to remain in a very uncertain situation by choice, with a month to month lease you could end given 30 days prior written notice to landlord and move out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're either saving for a house or you're ready to buy. Which is it? If you're about to be out on the street any sane,rational ADULT would say "let me get out while I can and be done with it". That's how we all know you're living in mom and dad's basement with your Star Wars posters looking down on you and you've got two posters who never seen your posts before responding to you.

I hope everyone who is responding to you on this thread takes some time to read your ridiculous posting history regarding this issue.
I fear there may be much truth in what twingles says. Even if you are legit and not living in parent's basement, you seem to be amusing yourself with this and possibly playing with fire regarding actions such as willfully refusing to pay rent, toying with the idea of using foreclosure law the landlord may (or may not) be bound to to your advantage, attending a possible auction, etc.

IMO, this thread is in jeopardy of becoming a disingenuous hamster wheel...

Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Default It says Suffolk County....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I opened the link and searched Suffolk County codes a different website but there is no such code. Are you sure that this is not a town or village code?
You can also go to Suffolk County's website here: https://www.scnylegislature.us/Searc...se=foreclosure

Scroll to the bottom and click research laws...it will take you to the same link I posted

Let me know when you see it so I know I posted it correctly

Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Oh Really?...

So you CAN afford to move, you simply choose to remain in a very uncertain situation by choice, with a month to month lease you could end given 30 days prior written notice to landlord and move out.

I fear there may be much truth in what twingles says. Even if you are legit and not living in parent's basement, you seem to be amusing yourself with this and possibly playing with fire regarding actions such as willfully refusing to pay rent, toying with the idea of using foreclosure law the landlord may (or may not) be bound to to your advantage, attending a possible auction, etc.

IMO, this thread is in jeopardy of becoming a disingenuous hamster wheel...
I am not sure if I find this amusing and I have definitely never said I stopped paying rent. As far as using the law to my advantage...I ask why not? The laws are there to protect people...especially from unscrupulous landlords imho. I would attend an auction to see what I can expect if I do decide to buy a home at auction....I would like to see if they really do sell for cheaper than what I can afford in a mortgage. Anyway, my original question is what to expect after an auction in a house I rent...I was hoping somebody else would have been in this type of situation before and could give me advice. If not, it is fine..I feel like by posting my experience maybe somewhere down the line someone else going through this may come across my posts and find the advice helpful. Or not. But really no need for someone to post comments attacking me....makes no sense. I feel bad for people like that personally....

Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
This country is done.
Done done done.
Communism & skells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island