Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

What are purple microdots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:22 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,490 times
Apart from the weather, I find nothing to like about LA. But don't get me wrong, the weather has a lot going for it. What people call the suburbs of LA could be 50 miles from central LA. You certainly are not going to save real estate money compared to where you are, although property taxes in CA tend to be lower, and increase only modestly except after a sale, because of Prop 13. You say nothing about jobs, or how you are going to make this move.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:39 PM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Apart from the weather, I find nothing to like about LA. But don't get me wrong, the weather has a lot going for it. What people call the suburbs of LA could be 50 miles from central LA. You certainly are not going to save real estate money compared to where you are, although property taxes in CA tend to be lower, and increase only modestly except after a sale, because of Prop 13. You say nothing about jobs, or how you are going to make this move.
I’m calling the actual neighborhoods in LA (suburby). For example, Glendale, Pasadena, Silverlake. I should just say LA then. Def don’t mean 50 miles from downtown or anything.

Not interested in selling our LI home or making this move about finances. This is strictly about quality of life for me at this moment and enjoying//living where I am. Housing and jobs can be found anywhere. Is it crazy to think of it from an enjoyment/quality of life aspect?

Old 01-26-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Is it crazy to think of it from an enjoyment/quality of life aspect?

Yes. Long Islanders are all about the money and an easy commute.
Quality of life is way down the list.
So not caring about money and having a good quality of life does not compute.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM

731 posts, read 724,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What are purple microdots?
Oh I forgot...you were an Orange Sunshine hippie.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Oh I forgot...you were an Orange Sunshine hippie.
What's that?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:31 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,490 times
I dunno, quality of life certainly correlate directly to available income, at least when you are talking about living in some of the most expensive places in the country. Pasadena makes Huntington look dirt cheap. The median home price in Pasadena is about $600/ft, and the lot sizes are tiny for anything below a few million. Here, for $800K you can have 1300 sq ft house on 1/6 acre. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...20870400_zpid/

Putting aside "quality," you need a fairly large chuck of coin just for the entry fee. And, if you think Long Islanders like to flash their money or burn cash, Los Angeles is a cash furnace.

Oh, but did I mention the weather? Damn nice. Hollywood types, not so much.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:40 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,359 times
My friends who have moved to LA (one in Pasadena actually) all say they miss it here and wish they could move back. Definitely more expensive COL.

How have you tried to make friends and meet people? I have 2 kids in elementary, late 30s and find plenty to do. I’m in Greenlawn so not far from Elwood.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
I dunno, quality of life certainly correlate directly to available income, at least when you are talking about living in some of the most expensive places in the country. Pasadena makes Huntington look dirt cheap. The median home price in Pasadena is about $600/ft, and the lot sizes are tiny for anything below a few million. Here, for $800K you can have 1300 sq ft house on 1/6 acre. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...20870400_zpid/

Putting aside "quality," you need a fairly large chuck of coin just for the entry fee. And, if you think Long Islanders like to flash their money or burn cash, Los Angeles is a cash furnace.

Oh, but did I mention the weather? Damn nice. Hollywood types, not so much.
Thanks for the nice comprehensive review!

Out of curiosity, where do you live and where all have you lived in your life?

Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
My friends who have moved to LA (one in Pasadena actually) all say they miss it here and wish they could move back. Definitely more expensive COL.

How have you tried to make friends and meet people? I have 2 kids in elementary, late 30s and find plenty to do. I’m in Greenlawn so not far from Elwood.
What do your friends miss about here? Is it also family and friends? We have none here so there’s also that. Well, my side at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island