Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 818 times

Advertisements

Listen...you've only lived in Elwood for 1 year. The first year anywhere is tough. Do not give up, ride out this time of difficulty, things are guaranteed to get much happier soon!

The schools are very good in your area and there are lots of enjoyable things to do with family or friends or by yourself in Huntington and the area.

What I recommend is to take little steps on your own exploring and joining. For example, check out museums, parks, villages. Attend events such as book readings, library events, historical society events, festivals in parks, etc.

The YMCA is a good place to start...lots of women in their 30's and 40's exercise there. Kid's activites galore!

Check out meetup.com...for meeting people in your area with similar interests.

Pursue your interests and find new hobbies. Try adult education classes at the high school. The more activities that you sign up for or just attend as a one-time-only events the more comfortable you will feel, you'll make friends and feel more confident.

Force yourself to go out to do something or go somewhere every day...even Starbucks in Huntington Village. Also, become a regular at Huntington Public Library...the book collection is wonderful and things are always going on!

Huntington is a wonderful place for people with kids and for anyone in general...it's expensive but there is a positive energy here.

I promise you that things are about to get much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 10:31 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by li1960 View Post
Listen...you've only lived in Elwood for 1 year. The first year anywhere is tough. Do not give up, ride out this time of difficulty, things are guaranteed to get much happier soon!

The schools are very good in your area and there are lots of enjoyable things to do with family or friends or by yourself in Huntington and the area.

What I recommend is to take little steps on your own exploring and joining. For example, check out museums, parks, villages. Attend events such as book readings, library events, historical society events, festivals in parks, etc.

The YMCA is a good place to start...lots of women in their 30's and 40's exercise there. Kid's activites galore!

Check out meetup.com...for meeting people in your area with similar interests.

Pursue your interests and find new hobbies. Try adult education classes at the high school. The more activities that you sign up for or just attend as a one-time-only events the more comfortable you will feel, you'll make friends and feel more confident.

Force yourself to go out to do something or go somewhere every day...even Starbucks in Huntington Village. Also, become a regular at Huntington Public Library...the book collection is wonderful and things are always going on!

Huntington is a wonderful place for people with kids and for anyone in general...it's expensive but there is a positive energy here.

I promise you that things are about to get much better!
I can understand the OP not wanting to stay in the area, but going to LA is like trading Coke for Pepsi. If the OP thinks that it's difficult to get to NYC from Huntington, just wait until she drives the 405 everyday. And LA is even more suburban with less "things to do" within a short distance. Everything is spread out over large distances.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 AM

193 posts, read 271,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Look at you. As nasty as they get. Part of the problem right here!

Gotta love NYers.
Completely agree with you.

I don't belong here and don't fit in here. Didn't grow up here and don't have the nastiness, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses mentality, and all about me attitude that is so prevalent around here.

There is nothing here for me personally to justify the high taxes, failing infrastructure, out-dated everything and rude people.

Can't wait until living on Long Island is a distant memory.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post

I don't belong here and don't fit in here. Didn't grow up here and don't have the nastiness, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses mentality, and all about me attitude that is so prevalent around here.

There is nothing here for me personally to justify the high taxes, failing infrastructure, out-dated everything and rude people.

Actually, totally sounds like you're from here. LOL

Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:

I agree with hotkarl. It sounds like you fit right in here. Are you sure you aren't from LI?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:00 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:

Then don't relocate to LA like the OP. You will find all of that over there too.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I can understand the OP not wanting to stay in the area, but going to LA is like trading Coke for Pepsi. If the OP thinks that it's difficult to get to NYC from Huntington, just wait until she drives the 405 everyday. And LA is even more suburban with less "things to do" within a short distance. Everything is spread out over large distances.
Yup. LA is horrible. Makes this place seem like paradise

Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
The thing is - you’re born and raised in LI, no?

Bc one thing is to be from here and appreciate it/feel nostalgic bc you grew up in it. I’ve been in NY 10 years (1 year in LI), and to me, the NE is just becoming tough to swallow. I’m from Miami.

I figure- I gave it 10 years, the suburbs is majorly slow and lonely for me. And the city is just way too hard and expensive. Come on now- $3500 for a studio in Hell’s Kithen + a paid parking space and a million hours in traffic or packed like sardines on a train. I need something in between. I had it 10 years. Maybe I’m wrong and I don’t see it. I’d hate to “give up”- but how long before I’m super fed up?
yeah I'm a lifer but I mean living here is so important to me I do what I need to do to make it. Sure I can probably live like a queen elsewhere... but it's 'elsewhere'... I live comfortably here and I enjoy my life and my QOL is pretty good.

For you I guess it is different b/c you don't have as much attachments here as I do. To your point, it is definitely harder to leave when you've been somewhere for so long but a good QOL is not out of reach for a lot of people. Most people live here and do just fine. Some people can't make it and leave but MOST are doing decent enough to get by.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM

428 posts, read 969,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That's not my complaint though. I do NOT enjoy Manhattan or the New York way at all - the nightlife, etc. I never did even in my 20's - I just dealt with it and enjoyed traveling/going other places. So for me, it's not my first pick even if it's 20 mins away. I am not complaining about commuting. I'm looking for the lifestyle/weather/finding a little more diversity in age/style/background.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:54 AM

428 posts, read 969,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yeah I'm a lifer but I mean living here is so important to me I do what I need to do to make it. Sure I can probably live like a queen elsewhere... but it's 'elsewhere'... I live comfortably here and I enjoy my life and my QOL is pretty good.

For you I guess it is different b/c you don't have as much attachments here as I do. To your point, it is definitely harder to leave when you've been somewhere for so long but a good QOL is not out of reach for a lot of people. Most people live here and do just fine. Some people can't make it and leave but MOST are doing decent enough to get by.
I live a really awesome QOL here. We moved from Queens (blech) for my daughter's school district. She's only 3.5 and we may have done it prematurely, but we wanted her to be settled by K-1st grade.

Like you said - when you have all of your memories and family groups/friends nearby, it's easy to just live and be comfortable. I'm feeling itchy right now/something is missing. My QOL is great right now - but I'm missing the pieces that I need. Since I won't be living in Miami with my family for a long while, I have to settle in a good comfortable social circle with a lot going on. I just want to give it a try.

We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island